Matchday 13

Do you like FT's Matchday Polls?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do people keep calling me out with baseless lies.

It wasnt me comparing the two.

So kindly shut the **** up.

You're better than that Bojan KantKick ... do a little research mate.
I was under the impression that half of the Pool supporters on here were just your aliases?

the problem for liverpool is that in the next 4 years, the teams above them will continue to improve as well. liverpool have to find a way to make up probably around 10-15 points and then go past the top teams. chelsea wont be s**t forever, united and ourselves will continue to have plenty of money as well. then there's arsenal as well who are well resourced too.

it's easy to say we have klopp look what he did with dortmund, but that was truly a remarkable feat, but only against one team. it's naive to just presume that 1) he can do it again and 2) that liverpool will just not only catch up but pass teams that are currently much more resourced and better equipped on field and off field.

the problem for liverpool is that in the next 4 years, the teams above them will continue to improve as well. liverpool have to find a way to make up probably around 10-15 points and then go past the top teams. chelsea wont be s**t forever, united and ourselves will continue to have plenty of money as well. then there's arsenal as well who are well resourced too.

it's easy to say we have klopp look what he did with dortmund, but that was truly a remarkable feat, but only against one team. it's naive to just presume that 1) he can do it again and 2) that liverpool will just not only catch up but pass teams that are currently much more resourced and better equipped on field and off field.
Who knows what will happen. But having a manager as good as Klopp opens it up for us. Still plenty of work to be done and I for one havent even mentioned a title. Id just like to see us back in the top four and then if Klopp makes some good signings, perhaps we can push on. Everybody knows the EPL is the hardest league to win so Klopp has his work cut out for him.

klopp isnt a magician, he's just a man. his style only works if his players buy in each and every game. not just against the big teams, but the smaller teams that historically cause everyone problems. it all counts for jack if liverpool's board don't back him in. but the signings will likely be more shrewd than anything, as liverpool don't have the resources to out gun the other teams mentioned for the top players that become available. and shrewd signings are much more difficult for english clubs.

klopp isnt a magician, he's just a man. his style only works if his players buy in each and every game. not just against the big teams, but the smaller teams that historically cause everyone problems. it all counts for jack if liverpool's board don't back him in. but the signings will likely be more shrewd than anything, as liverpool don't have the resources to out gun the other teams mentioned for the top players that become available. and shrewd signings are much more difficult for english clubs.
I smell fear. :p

Seriously though, way to early to be talking about any title chase. Let's see how we go this season under Klopp. Everyone is already buying in to his philosophy so I dont think we will see any problems there.

We wont be making any 50-70 million pound signings but as he showed with Dortmund, you dont need to. He found a ton of players for a pittance that became huge players for him and world class players to boot.

Im sure he will look to do the same thing at Liverpool. Not sure why it's harder to do shrewd business in England though? That was a strange comment.

Near future, what are we taking here? 1 year? 2 years? 3+years? Klopp is good but he'd have to be fergie good to win the title with the current squad Liverpool have.

Haha geez, what does that make Rodgers?

It's interesting, in the league Liverpool seem to have run on a 4-5 year cycle over the last 15 years - with title challenges in 2014, 2009, 2006 & 2002 despite their rivals being better resourced be it United, Arsenal, Chelsea or City. The finances are an issue but clearly not an insurmountable one.

Challenging year in year out is beyond us with our finances as they currently stand. The revenue gap between us & City/United is just too big and it is unrealistic to expect them to underperform so consistently. However, history has shown that one off challenges every few years are certainly achievable and we are sufficiently well resourced to take advantage of off field slip ups when they do happen.

Once we settle on a decent manager, it seems to take us a few years to build a squad with the quality & confidence to challenge, then for whatever reason we drop away, before starting to build again. I'd be interested to hear some analysis on why that might be the case. In the 2000's a drop off in the league seemed to coincide with a run to the semis or beyond in European competition, but that obviously hasn't been an issue for us for a few years!

Inevitably, history tells us that at some point Liverpool will get it right. The planets will align and like Rodgers, Benitez & Houllier before him; Klopp will have the opportunity to challenge 1 or 2 of those sides for the league. It's difficult to say how far off the current squad is from challenging because they had been underperforming so significantly under Rodgers, and Klopp hasn't had a great deal of time to work with the group. It might be in his 2nd season on the back of 1 or 2 key transfers like Rodgers, it might be 2-3 years from now after an extended rebuild.

Inevitably though, that window will open for us at some point. The challenge for Klopp is going to be doing what his predecessors couldn't and taking advantage of that opportunity when it comes along.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously though, way to early to be talking about any title chase. Let's see how we go this season under Klopp. Everyone is already buying in to his philosophy so I dont think we will see any problems there.

We wont be making any 50-70 million pound signings but as he showed with Dortmund, you dont need to. He found a ton of players for a pittance that became huge players for him and world class players to boot.

Im sure he will look to do the same thing at Liverpool. Not sure why it's harder to do shrewd business in England though? That was a strange comment.
man utd have patented the word philosophy. you can't use it. You can use wizardry instead.

jd2010 I have to say mate that I can't agree with you at all. I'm with Kane and Pochettino on their views of the game in that it was the best we've played all season and just about up there with the Arsenal and Chelsea games at the Lane last season as the best we've played under Pochettino. It really could have been 6 or 7, we were that dominant.

I don't think any Liverpool fan is presuming anything, but there's nothing wrong with being optimisic. Hope is what keeps fans going even when all logic says it won't happen.

As a great philosopher once said, "you can live without water for many days, but you can't live for a second without hope".

I don't think any Liverpool fan is presuming anything, but there's nothing wrong with being optimisic. Hope is what keeps fans going even when all logic says it won't happen.

As a great philosopher once said, "you can live without water for many days, but you can't live for a second without hope".
Was it van Gaal?

it's about buying into it all the time, not sometimes. that needs to be proven.

because as soon as an english club gets involved, the price explodes. sure, someone like lewandowski was a massive success, but what english clubs were interested? blackburn. guys like subotic, gundogan, piszczek, reus were all picked from lower german clubs, who all didnt have the resources that dortmund had. hummels was a kid out of favour at bayern who klopp took a punt on.

my point is, historically the top 6-8 clubs in england do not take those types of risks. these players move to germany, france, italy, spain clubs who are in that europa/low champions league area. they allow them to impress there and then pay big fees for them, if they get them at all. how many clubs passed on aubameyang because he was a fast kid with no finishing? now he's banging them in and clubs are being linked to him for 50-60 mil.

sometimes clubs let them go to lower prem clubs and then make the offer. michu for one. swansea take the punt. he has a massive debut season, arsenal 'offered' 20-25 mil. they bought bony for cheapish, then double their return on the back of 18 months. overall, klopp was able to make those sort of transfers because they never really attracted the interest of clubs who, at the time, had better resources and more money. then he used those players to make dortmund a club people wanted to play for. in my eyes, it's much harder to pull that off in england.

man utd have patented the word philosophy. you can't use it. You can use wizardry instead.
Coutinho-gallery-010.jpg

it's about buying into it all the time, not sometimes. that needs to be proven.

because as soon as an english club gets involved, the price explodes. sure, someone like lewandowski was a massive success, but what english clubs were interested? blackburn. guys like subotic, gundogan, piszczek, reus were all picked from lower german clubs, who all didnt have the resources that dortmund had. hummels was a kid out of favour at bayern who klopp took a punt on.

my point is, historically the top 6-8 clubs in england do not take those types of risks. these players move to germany, france, italy, spain clubs who are in that europa/low champions league area. they allow them to impress there and then pay big fees for them, if they get them at all. how many clubs passed on aubameyang because he was a fast kid with no finishing? now he's banging them in and clubs are being linked to him for 50-60 mil.

sometimes clubs let them go to lower prem clubs and then make the offer. michu for one. swansea take the punt. he has a massive debut season, arsenal 'offered' 20-25 mil. they bought bony for cheapish, then double their return on the back of 18 months. overall, klopp was able to make those sort of transfers because they never really attracted the interest of clubs who, at the time, had better resources and more money. then he used those players to make dortmund a club people wanted to play for. in my eyes, it's much harder to pull that off in england.
Ok, if you think so. I guess time will tell. No idea who Klopp is going to go for or if he will look to make big signings or smaller shrew signings.

Back