Mathew Stokes - From a PORT fan

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 11, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hey cats fans,

First of all, congrats on the Thurs night win.

I simply want to ask you guys if any of you know whether Stokes has Filipino in his background?

I know to some this may not seem like a relevant question, but having Filipino in my background myself, I'd certainly like to know if there is an AFL player who shares this ethnicity too, given that I don't recall any other players (past or present) with it.

Cheers :thumbsu:

edit: I should mention that I'm asking about Stokes because I remember reading over it quickly on this site last year but obviously am not sure.

He looks like Monkey Magic in my opinion.

Oh NO!!!! I said the "M" word!!!

monkey_tiny_red.jpg

I am a huge fan of Stokes. He isn't the greatest player around, but there have been many occasions when we have been in a close game and he has kicked a couple of good ones and lifted us out of deep crap. His forward pressure is getting better too, as is his consistently. Very important player to us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He looks like Monkey Magic in my opinion.

Oh NO!!!! I said the "M" word!!!

monkey_tiny_red.jpg
Reminds me more of tattoo from Fantasy Island

HerveVillechaize.jpg

Maybe it is a height thing... either way he is a great player... was fantastic in the prelim against collingwood...

The plane boss the plane!

Hey cats fans,

First of all, congrats on the Thurs night win.

I simply want to ask you guys if any of you know whether Stokes has Filipino in his background?

I know to some this may not seem like a relevant question, but having Filipino in my background myself, I'd certainly like to know if there is an AFL player who shares this ethnicity too, given that I don't recall any other players (past or present) with it.

Cheers :thumbsu:

edit: I should mention that I'm asking about Stokes because I remember reading over it quickly on this site last year but obviously am not sure.
Yeah, his Mum's Filipino IIRC.

If I had to summarise Stokesy in one word, it would probably be "efficient".

And that's not so much a back-handed compliment in suggesting him to be merely a 'good honest toiler', he just gets things done efficiently without any necessary razzle dazzle.

His kicking skills are largely, well, efficient. Perhaps he doesn't have the capability of drilling it as hard and low as Hunt, or providing the odd sizzling pass like Mackie, but he's just so dependable by foot I more or less feel just as (if not more) comfortable with the ball in his hands than his more flashy teammates. More so when he's lining up for a set shot.

Brilliant hands for his size allows him to play above his weight-division as a genuine leading option, to go with the more obvious crumbing presence to the talls. More importantly, can finish his work (or others'). Handy pace, hard at the ball and man, tough in close.

Nothing outstanding, but very little he can't do at a genuine acceptable level. Just, efficient - and you can't say that about too many players.

How did this thread turn into a 'please state your opinion of Matthew Stokes' discussion? He was simply questioning his ethnicity, not asking what you thought of him.

And for what it's worth, i'm not 100% sure, but I too vaguely remember something about a Filipino background.

I love this bloke. In these times of congested forward lines and flooding it is very hard to be efficient and good with the football as a forward pocket/flank. Yet he manages to pull it off very well despite being pretty inexperienced and in a team where pressure to perform is very high.

How did this thread turn into a 'please state your opinion of Matthew Stokes' discussion? He was simply questioning his ethnicity, not asking what you thought of him.

This is the Geelong forum ffs why the hell not?

And for what it's worth, i'm not 100% sure, but I too vaguely remember something about a Filipino background.

Why not?

He is a legend. He is always in the best 22 now. I love the way he made it to the AFL rejected 5 times or something in the draft and now every loves him:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back