Matt Crouch vs Dumont

Remove this Banner Ad

Would take Dumont any day. Because Brad Scott has a rolling squad of 26 that play every game irrelevant of balance (Drew Petrie and Scott Thompson injured? No worries, Liam Anthony and Scott McMahon in we come!) or ability it's borderline impossible to break into the side. Just ask Mason Wood.

Crouch has shown some impressive things but there's a lot about him I didn't like last year and I still don't like this year. I want to like him and I want to feel some attachment and pride in him and his ability but he's one of those players who's just not very likable unless you're personally vested in him. I'm a little cynical about just how beneficial accumulation is and for a player who doesn't offer much run/carry and has mediocre footskills at best and defensively is mediocre I just can't get around him. Dumont defensively is a lot more sound, is a far better tackler (we're 17th in the comp for effective tackle %) and a more composed kick of the footy, just not as good an accumulator. And he's a local fella. I kinda feel like in the 50/50 or 45/55 instead of going with the local fella we went with the fella who'd go a long way to ensuring we didn't lose Brad Crouch.

Would take Dumont any day. Because Brad Scott has a rolling squad of 26 that play every game irrelevant of balance (Drew Petrie and Scott Thompson injured? No worries, Liam Anthony and Scott McMahon in we come!) or ability it's borderline impossible to break into the side. Just ask Mason Wood.

Crouch has shown some impressive things but there's a lot about him I didn't like last year and I still don't like this year. I want to like him and I want to feel some attachment and pride in him and his ability but he's one of those players who's just not very likable unless you're personally vested in him. I'm a little cynical about just how beneficial accumulation is and for a player who doesn't offer much run/carry and has mediocre footskills at best and defensively is mediocre I just can't get around him. Dumont defensively is a lot more sound, is a far better tackler (we're 17th in the comp for effective tackle %) and a more composed kick of the footy, just not as good an accumulator. And he's a local fella. I kinda feel like in the 50/50 or 45/55 instead of going with the local fella we went with the fella who'd go a long way to ensuring we didn't lose Brad Crouch.

So vs Sydney 4 tackles 53% game time.
Vs North Melbourne 7 tackles 48% game time. Only Scott Thomoson got more in this game on 90% game time.

Lets not pretend he is a poor tackler to maintain some sort of preconceived idea about him.

And he's running at 73.9% DE. Ok the stat is a little flawed but if is disposal were as bad as you feel it is, it wouldn't be this high.

And even though it was vs GWS 28 ddisposals at 89.3% doesn't happen with poor disposal.

I don't doubt Dumont's strengths. But Matt's deficiencies have been fastly overstated.

So vs Sydney 4 tackles 53% game time.
Vs North Melbourne 7 tackles 48% game time. Only Scott Thomoson got more in this game on 90% game time.

Lets not pretend he is a poor tackler to maintain some sort of preconceived idea about him.

And he's running at 73.9% DE. Ok the stat is a little flawed but if is disposal were as bad as you feel it is, it wouldn't be this high.

And even though it was vs GWS 28 ddisposals at 89.3% doesn't happen with poor disposal.

I don't doubt Dumont's strengths. But Matt's deficiencies have been fastly overstated.
I agree with you. He slipped in the draft purely due to his supposed kicking and tank, together with been injured that year and not been able to play in the u18 champs. As we have seen his kicking is quite good and will improve with good coaching, and his tank is excellent for a first year player.
They were saying on the Hawthorn board that David Parkin raved about him. Said "He said he had watched Crouch since he was a junior.

Said he's never seen a player who could not only do the heavy work to win the ball, but then take on players and do the heavy work to get the ball out too.

Something like that.

Said he only plays the one way.

Then said, he believed that unless Crouch could add more strings to his bow and reduce the impact on his body, with time, the general wear and tear could cut him down."

The fact that people are trying to talk us down for getting him is mindblowing. If he had of gone in the top 10 you all would have been bitching that we didnt have the draft picks to get him.

I agree with you. He slipped in the draft purely due to his supposed kicking and tank, together with been injured that year and not been able to play in the u18 champs. As we have seen his kicking is quite good and will improve with good coaching, and his tank is excellent for a first year player.
They were saying on the Hawthorn board that David Parkin raved about him. Said "He said he had watched Crouch since he was a junior.

Said he's never seen a player who could not only do the heavy work to win the ball, but then take on players and do the heavy work to get the ball out too.

Something like that.

Said he only plays the one way.

Then said, he believed that unless Crouch could add more strings to his bow and reduce the impact on his body, with time, the general wear and tear could cut him down."

The fact that people are trying to talk us down for getting him is mindblowing. If he had of gone in the top 10 you all would have been bitching that we didnt have the draft picks to get him.

He's a great kid, I just wish that we were throwing more games into him.

Not in AFL. Was wondering if anyone heard anything from VFL?
Have watched him a fair bit this season t the Roosters.

And to be frank I am incredibly surprised he hasn't debuted yet. Step above in the VFL has regularly had high disposal and clearance numbers. Recently has come under some more attention from opposition sides but seems to be handling it fine.

Would happily have him at the crows just from VFL form alone.

Have watched him a fair bit this season t the Roosters.

And to be frank I am incredibly surprised he hasn't debuted yet. Step above in the VFL has regularly had high disposal and clearance numbers. Recently has come under some more attention from opposition sides but seems to be handling it fine.

Would happily have him at the crows just from VFL form alone.

We do have to keep an eye on kids not getting opportunities. Cheers for the info.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back