Opinion Matt De Boer - What to do?

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree, he will not be playing for peel next year because he will be traded. Their is a reason why he has no signed a contract.
Is that his decision or the club's? I reckon he'd be better off going to a Melbourne club where he'd get a game every week. Gotta be better than stressing about whether he's getting a game or not under Ross.

I don't think he'd get a game every week in a Melbourne club. The competition is a lot more even than you think. If he's fringe here he's going to be fringe elsewhere too.

I don't know why, it frustrated me a little, but I still like suban even though he hasn't given me much to like... Why is this?

Because there are aspects of his game that he does very well, elite kick, hard at the ball, good in wet conditions. But what I can't explain is why he goes missing for a quarter or more in nearly every game. Great team man but he has left himself vulnerable to being outside the best 22.

Because there are aspects of his game that he does very well, elite kick, hard at the ball, good in wet conditions. But what I can't explain is why he goes missing for a quarter or more in nearly every game. Great team man but he has left himself vulnerable to being outside the best 22.
the sort of players the BEST sides have though.
Very handy as a depth player, can play any role, if he was consistet, he'd probably be an A grader.

I don't think he'd get a game every week in a Melbourne club. The competition is a lot more even than you think. If he's fringe here he's going to be fringe elsewhere too.
True, but at least he won't die wondering - nothing to lose. Lots of players get a new lease of life when they switch clubs, it'd be up to him to perform. Lack of confidence is probably a factor in his kicking, stemming from being perpetually on the outer at Freo.

DeBoer, Suban not good enough.
Pearce/s probably both not good enough

Agreed. If you could somehow combine the two players you would have a great one, DeBoer can find it, Suban can kick it, but not visa versa.

Neither are best 22 or even 25 next year, we need to capitalise on their age and reputation now and try to palm them off for 2nd rounders.

Clancee can both find it and kick it. Would keep on the proviso he drops a few kgs to regain the pace he had 2 years ago.

That's not necessarily the case. Clubs with young midfields that need in and under players with experience will probably look at DeBoer. Brisbane, Melbourne, GWS, even Collingwood.
Not that he'd have a lot of currency at the trade table. The equivalent of steak knives.

I could see us using any one of (or maybe more) MdB, Suban or Clancee to get a pick upgrade. As it stands I think we'll have 13, 32, 50, 68. They might want to try and get that 32 into something in the early 20s, or the 50 into the mid 30s.

That's not necessarily the case. Clubs with young midfields that need in and under players with experience will probably look at DeBoer. Brisbane, Melbourne, GWS, even Collingwood.
Not that he'd have a lot of currency at the trade table. The equivalent of steak knives.

Most clubs would rather develop their own talent than trade for a guy who's had 6 years to prove he is good enough for the AFL and hasn't done it.

From what I remember of de Boer's game last night, his pressure was s**t - just like everyone else. If he can't do that...
Stats say de Boer got 13 possessions from 38% on ground - not bad in anyone's language and better than half the team with nearly 100% on ground. And pressure is what he does best. So a little credit when it's due.
From what I remember of de Boer's game last night, his pressure was s**t - just like everyone else. If he can't do that...

Most clubs would rather develop their own talent than trade for a guy who's had 6 years to prove he is good enough for the AFL and hasn't done it.

Nah, middle and bottom of the ladder clubs pick up fringe players from other clubs all the time. Some work out and some don't. Savage to St. Kilda, Nahas to North, Matt White wasn't automatic best 22 for Richmond. I reckon you'd get interest on DeBoer and Suban.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You live and die off your skill set, and unfortunately MDB can butcher the ball at times. I stand by my opinion that MDB is best 22 (I'd have him replacing DPearce every day of the week) but facts are he is top 25/26 according to the coaching staff.

Hawthorn are the pacesetters for jettisoning fringe players with currency (Kennedy, Osborne?, Young, McGlynn, Ellis, Savage) and I think we need to do the same. MDB, CPearce, Suban, Sheridan all in the same basket - if they're not getting 22 games with us, then use them to secure someone that potentially can.

Who can we get for MDB? Probably someone of equal ability that will struggle with the move to WA I imagine.

May as well keep him and change his role. I think two years ago he was playing better than today, shame another player who hasn't progressed much.

Who can we get for MDB? Probably someone of equal ability that will struggle with the move to WA I imagine.

2nd round upgrade or 3rd rounder ala Broughton would be my ideal scenario.

That's the thing about the Hawks and the Cats (well, only because of Ablett in that case), is that they've managed to bring in extra picks at the times when they're on top of the ladder by trading away surplus depth. That is how you stay on top.

Nah, middle and bottom of the ladder clubs pick up fringe players from other clubs all the time. Some work out and some don't. Savage to St. Kilda, Nahas to North, Matt White wasn't automatic best 22 for Richmond. I reckon you'd get interest on DeBoer and Suban.
5 are definitely interested!

Stats say de Boer got 13 possessions from 38% on ground - not bad in anyone's language and better than half the team with nearly 100% on ground. And pressure is what he does best. So a little credit when it's due.
So what? Possessions don't win matches. And I think you'll find half the team wasn't on the ground 100% of the time - as you eluded to. His pressure was what was needed, and It wasn't up to par on saturday night, that's my opinion - deal with it.

I said "nearly" 100% on ground - and possessions do count for something. It actually shows he had his hands on the ball and was involved in play when at least half his teammates went missing. de Boer had more possessions in last quarter than any other Freo player. That's not my opinion, it's a fact.

I said "nearly" 100% on ground - and possessions do count for something. It actually shows he had his hands on the ball and was involved in play when at least half his teammates went missing. de Boer had more possessions in last quarter than any other Freo player. That's not my opinion, it's a fact.

Problem is his possessions don't hurt. He needs to be more reliable on his set shots, and he's not alone.
Been offered a reduced one year contract apparently.

Jezz we may have io delist Moller:eek::eek:

Forward Max Duffy has signed a one-year contract extension to remain at Fremantle next season, but leadership group member Matt de Boer is yet to commit for 2015 despite being offered a new deal.

Duffy, 21, made his AFL debut this season, kicking two classy goals in the two-point loss to Geelong in round 20.

De Boer's future remains clouded, with the 24-year-old understood to be weighing up a fresh one-year contract offer on reduced terms.

The hard-working midfielder fell out of favour as the season progressed, playing only five games after round nine.

Fremantle face decisions on the future of rookie-listed pair Sam Menegola and Craig Moller.

Menegola, 22, is in his third season on the rookie list and must either be upgraded or de-listed. He is yet to crack a debut. Moller has spent the past two seasons as a rookie after being recruited through the NSW AFL scholarship program.

Fremantle already have to make a minimum of two list changes, with Kepler Bradley and Scott Gumbleton both announcing their retirements.

Veteran Luke McPharlin is expected to add to that list by calling time on his 238-game career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back