Opinion Matt De Boer - What to do?

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, that puts paid to the rumour that he was unhappy at the club, with people alluding to friction between him and Lyon. Had someone tell me he was off to WC!

What to do? Get him to sign the one year extension and watch him work his backside off over the offseason. Play him rotating in the guts, his hands are lightning in congestion.

I knew he was going no where.

The risk of trading him for some Vicco that never travels, was never going to eventuate.

Lets hope that 1 year contract motivates him and personally I like the short term contracts for under achievers so they don't get complacent.

So who did MDB cost us in staying. Not what but who.

We are now under list pressure. Minimum of three slots required and we only have two retirements so far. The simple maths are that either McPharlin is retiring or Simpson is being delisted and if we take anyone at all in FA then someone else is gone too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately was told by someone who should know that as an adult you can only improve your kicking 5% to 10% which surprised me but in hindsight seems true or else alot of the guys we know to be suspect kicks would get alot better they dont.

Unfortunately was told by someone who should know that as an adult you can only improve your kicking 5% to 10% which surprised me but in hindsight seems true or else alot of the guys we know to be suspect kicks would get alot better they dont.

Jobe Watson and Sam Mitchell both improved a sh!t ton. De boer hasn't improved much in a long time. I don't know whether he's been working too hard on improving his strengths and not hard enough on his weaknesses.

I hope he practices his kicking over the summer. It's his one major knock. I'm not an athlete so I have a stupid question: can he still be trained to kick or is it too late?

Not a stupid question. Unlikely to ever be a good kick. But if he practices as hard on it as he does everything else it'll improve.

He does need to sort the kicking out. He should be practicing incessantly. Fyfey seems to have improved his kicking over the off season. Surely mdb can too.

Sorry mate watched Sam Mitchell first few games he was always a very good kick with either foot had to be at his pace cant say I have watched much of Watson. Taberners kicking was always ok just sprays some under pressure and at times doesnt get many.

Not a stupid question. Unlikely to ever be a good kick. But if he practices as hard on it as he does everything else it'll improve.

So he's spent the last 6 years not practicing?

Jobe Watson and Sam Mitchell improved their kicking in the first 3 years of their career. If he hasn't learned to kick by now he never will, that's just reality.

Sorry mate watched Sam Mitchell first few games he was always a very good kick with either foot had to be at his pace cant say I have watched much of Watson. Taberners kicking was always ok just sprays some under pressure and at times doesnt get many.
Didn't think so personally. Checked with hawks board.

The poster that has gotten back to me so far matched my recollection. He didn't start out a very good kick. He became one. Then became an elite kick... as he is today.

Watson is similar from memory... but took longer to reach solid competence. Is very good now.

So he's spent the last 6 years not practicing?

Jobe Watson and Sam Mitchell improved their kicking in the first 3 years of their career. If he hasn't learned to kick by now he never will, that's just reality.
There's a difference between practicing in general training and doing extra work on it. I'm sure he can improve if he puts his mind to it. Neither of the other guys just automatically got to where they are in general training.

They trained specifically to correct a weakness. And it eventually became a strength.

Even the best can improve their skills with work. Stands to reason that the sh!t can also improve rather than having their skills permaset.

If he puts in the extra work that fyfey seems like he must have... then he'll get better. Needs to refine the action a bit though.

Again, you are basically saying that De Boer has neglected to train his most glaring weakness as an AFL player in the 5 years he's been at the club. I find that hard to believe.

Again, you are basically saying that De Boer has neglected to train his most glaring weakness as an AFL player in the 5 years he's been at the club. I find that hard to believe.
Probably true. Wishful thinking maybe. I'd like him to fix it though. Even becoming an average kick would be handy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back