Opinion Matt De Boer - What to do?

Remove this Banner Ad

Broughton wasn't best 22, because not only did the team not need him in 2012 when they made finals, it has not missed him since, and he is not best 22 at a side much worse than Freo.

It's typical footy fan favourite - unheralded player taken cheaply in the draft who gets by on effort instead of class.

What size are we talking about? If it was a wrestling match I know who I'd be betting on.

As for height, mdb and Crowley are about as good as each other as contested marks. Crowley might have an edge there... But not enough to make it worthwhile.

Crowls is a very good kick for goal. No contest there.

But lacking defensive/tagging ability? You're friggin joking aren't you?

Yeah I guess i was a bit flippant with those calls. I guess in my opinion I just cant imagine mdb doing the job Crowley does. Though i didn't realize how similar in size they were.

So do you think they are keeping mdb around for when crowley retires? I remember a while ago he was going to be the next young freo inside mid. Now neale is doing that. He was formally our defensive forward and now Crozier is doing that.

It wouldnt be a bad idea next year if Spurr is out of form next year to give him a go doing that. Just his tiny kicks might be an issue.

Yeah I guess i was a bit flippant with those calls. I guess in my opinion I just cant imagine mdb doing the job Crowley does. Though i didn't realize how similar in size they were.

So do you think they are keeping mdb around for when crowley retires? I remember a while ago he was going to be the next young freo inside mid. Now neale is doing that. He was formally our defensive forward and now Crozier is doing that.

It wouldnt be a bad idea next year if Spurr is out of form next year to give him a go doing that. Just his tiny kicks might be an issue.

Crozier has a long way to go before he cements his place. Crowley and Mundy won't be around forever, I can see Deboer being in the midfield mix in the future. Peter Bell, Sam Mitchell are players who were/are similarly limited, so his short kicking isn't necessarily gonna kill him if he can consistently choose the right options. I feel like his role as a defensive forward doesn't give us the best chance to assess him as a player. Has pace and is gutsy, definitely worth holding onto imo.

DeBoer has looked his best in the midfield IMO. In a tagging role he would bring great hands, strong body and bullocking play, I really think if Crowley was not available he would become a very valuable player

Broughton wasn't best 22, because not only did the team not need him in 2012 when they made finals, it has not missed him since, and he is not best 22 at a side much worse than Freo.

It's typical footy fan favourite - unheralded player taken cheaply in the draft who gets by on effort instead of class.

Broughton is universally considered best 22 at GWS and pretty everyone agrees that he was a steal for GWS. It's hardly something getting worked up over though. His true value was somewhere around pick 36 and we got a slight pick upgrade instead. No need to make up stuff to protect Fremantle's reputation on this one, nobody really cares.

Broughton is universally considered best 22 at GWS and pretty everyone agrees that he was a steal for GWS. It's hardly something getting worked up over though. His true value was somewhere around pick 36 and we got a slight pick upgrade instead. No need to make up stuff to protect Fremantle's reputation on this one, nobody really cares.

In fairness he hasn't exactly been setting the game on fire for GC. He hasn't even been given regular gigs.

In fairness he hasn't exactly been setting the game on fire for GC. He hasn't even been given regular gigs.

He is a pretty good recruit for a developing team. Brings a hard body, experience and a bit of leadership. When the young-guns start to get up and about they may even get a trade for him.

I'm pretty certain Broughton has been playing every week.

I actually thought MDB would lose his spot to Sylvia this season, but Sylvia has been a real disappointment.

Huh? Sylvia has not been disappointment. Lyon has been the disappointment. He did not accept that Sylvia as an experienced afl player was already fit enough, then he didn't select him, then he didn't play him where Sylvia wanted to be played, then he dropped Sylvia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huh? Sylvia has not been disappointment. Lyon has been the disappointment. He did not accept that Sylvia as an experienced afl player was already fit enough, then he didn't select him, then he didn't play him where Sylvia wanted to be played, then he dropped Sylvia.
Not sure that we had a spot open for a one way running midfielder, which seemed to be his position at Melbourne.

Back on topic, glad to see we are playing more attacking players like Croz - even it is at the expense of someone of good quality and leadership as MDB.

We don't bend to Colin, Colin bends to us. I would say that there is more to the Colin story than either you or I know about.

As for MDB, playing for a spot in a team that is going into finals, perfect opportunity for him to play a blinder today.

Broughton was best 22. He was traded because he didn't get on with Ross Lyon, not because of ability. There were multiple clubs interested in him, and he would have had higher trade value if it wasn't widely known that we were in no position to bargain since Lyon had already marked his card.

Pokerspiv: making s**t up since June 2013.

By the end of his first season, Lee Spurr had taken Broughton's place as small defender. Broughton was no longer best 22.
Broughton was receiving a top ten salary within the club as the result of a very good contract negotiation ( I believe). Fremantle did the trade to manage its list and salary obligations. It's no use having a highly paid player not playing.

There was little noise at the time about Broughton and the coach, and Broughton was not one of the players who talked about keeping contact with Harvey. The ones I remember doing so are still with the club.
After the trade was completed, there was some noise, and Chris Bond and Broughton both addressed the issue, denying that there had ever been a rift.

Who were the multiple clubs interested? Yes, Gold Coast did well to get him, but there was little talk before the event. We actually got him for pick 37 (so true value?) and we gave away pick 60 for it. Nothing too bad for Fremantle either.

Broughton went to Gold Coast, not GWS and this year is better than his first. He has played in most games and yes, is best 22 at the moment. But he has not had his contract renewed yet. Sounds like he is he in the same position as Matt de Boer.

I think deboer is a midfielder. He genuinely is the perfect fit as a tagger... Physically and mentally it's an ideal use of his strengths. But that's crowley's spot, so deboer has had to find other roles in the team to keep his spot.

He is a good inside mid. Courageous, great tackler, sharp handballer, strong, fit, fast. Main issues with mdb as an inside mid is he can be a bit fumbly, is too defensive and reactive and seems to react too slowly compared to guys like mundy, fyfe, barlow and neale. His attacking instincts in clearance situations might have dropped off through lack of use.

De boer will definitely be able to do crowley's job, and is a better inside ball winner... Not as good outside as crowls though. If he is still around to inherit crowls tagging role, it'd be hard to think of someone better suited.

Crozier has just played two games as a defensively minded forward, and done very well. He won't be playing that role long term though. Attacking hff, wing and linking mid roles beckon in the near future.

I see mdb as depth at the moment. But we need depth to cover injury, lack of form, match ups or an opposition game style. Can't understand why we'd lob out a bloke who is just outside our 22. As for a lockdown back role. He'd have the mindset and physical tools. But his kicking is the biggest worry... Penetration and accuracy are both important down back.

Last edited:
Not sure that we had a spot open for a one way running midfielder, which seemed to be his position at Melbourne.

Back on topic, glad to see we are playing more attacking players like Croz - even it is at the expense of someone of good quality and leadership as MDB.
I don't think gav actually meant what he said. Imagine reading the post in the voice of a different poster.

Oh well, thought MDB was going to get a run today but that hasn't worked out. Looks grim for him this year. Hopefully he has a great preseason.

I don't think gav actually meant what he said. Imagine reading the post in the voice of a different poster.
Sorry to Gav - I thought he was taking the p*** but I don't always pay attention to who posts what around here - so I wasn't sure !

One thing about De Boer is that he will be working super hard over the summer to improve his football - his kicking has improved over the years, but a two handed ball drop really restricts his ability to improve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back