Retired #49: Matt Dea - calls it a day, retiring at season's end - 2/9

Remove this Banner Ad

From the top-up thread:

The tweet included Simpkin, Mitch Golby and Zac O'Brien.
You know Dea doesn't play the same position of at least half the guys you mentioned yeah?

We were never going to get a Rance or a Hurley as a top up.
rance2bennylulz_zps2d52cf94.gif

aBPXajF.jpg

Hope you don't mind me posting here.

If I remember right dea was drafted as a talented basketballer that the club saw a bit of potential in. One of those x factor picks.

He's sort of mid paced, mid height, mid skilled. I think he was played off the back flank with an eye to slotting him into the midfielder (like every other draftee).

I never saw much that impressed me to be honest but he had a bit of a following from the guys who watched the ressies last year. There was a lot of posts about why wasn't he getting a run in the seniors.

I'm guessing he finally started to get the hang of football at the top level but didn't show enough to avoid the chop. At the worst he'll have a mature body to avoid your kids getting smashed. All the best to the guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just googled Dea and the first link was to Drug Enforcement Administration. Could be a good sign, or not.

Anyways, welcome to the young man. :thumbsu:

Opposition supporters loading up on this one as we speak.

Dea's best at AFL level is a decent quality job at HBF. Good size, decent skills, good attitude. His problem isn't that he can be an OK AFL player. It is that he couldn't force his way into one the AFL's best back lines. So it looks like you guys got a decent AFL player, but no star. I expect him to slot in and be a worthwhile player for you. Pretty good for what you want. I imagine (I'm no expert) that he wasn't redrafted by anyone in 2015 because they looked at him and thought 'mature age, best is B grade HBF, OKish return for little risk - not worth the bother really'. SO you've picked up someone that will fill the hole, and possibly be worth keeping on for future years. There are many worse players still on AFL lists. But don't expect him to be more than a role player. Solid pickup in the circumstances. Good club man and trainer by all reports.

I just googled Dea and the first link was to Drug Enforcement Administration. Could be a good sign, or not.

Anyways, welcome to the young man. :thumbsu:

tumblr_inline_mhdhdtFtIc1qfuo5k.jpg

Good average player at best.
Will make his fair amount of turnovers, but will probably be serviceable enough considering the situation EFC are in.

Wasn't sure about this pick, so had a look at last years Prospectus and got even more concerned. But spoke to a mad Tigers fan at work today and he had big raps on him. He reckons Dea's only problem was trying to displace Newman and Houli.

Welcome Matt and thanks for helping in the hour of need.

Should have played a lot more for us last year IMO. He's no Rance or Hooker but he's no James Gwilt either. May surprise.
Gwilt is a far better player than Dea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back