Opinion Matt McDonough where will he play?

What position will he play?

• Forward

Votes: 39 62.9%
  • Half back

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Middle

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Anywhere

Votes: 11 17.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

sign him now dont want this kid going back to SA. was very good in the vfl all year and got better as the season wore on. start him as a small forward with stints in the middle at afl level. guy uses ball so well, kicks both sides takes a mark and wins his own ball. and hes a nugget too.

This. Real possibility of being lured back.
Got to give him games over King

new article on the RFC website, bit of a run down by Tim Clarke on all the youngsters, first up was Matt McDonough.

Shares the same thoughts as Chocco it seems with the Chappy comparison. Would be great if he got anywhere close to that level.

Hopefully he gets a good crack at it next year, possibly taking Whites spot in the side.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-10-15/matt-mcdonough-in-focus

Don't know if anyones mentioned it , but Sugar's jumper presentation speech was GREAT. I thought kept it simple and what he said was just spot on to the young fella :thumbsu: Really good to see he still has a strong bond to the club...

I recently met Matt through one of my nephews, he is a very levelled headed young man and he definitely has all of the characteristics and skills to be a more than handy footballer. I think you guys are on to a winner with this one.

Can you elaborate on what the occasion was george2 & cheers for the above post :thumbsu:

Can you elaborate on what the occasion was george2 & cheers for the above post :thumbsu:
My nephew lives in Melbourne and I went over for his Birthday recently and I was chatting away to one of his friends Matt and didn't realise he was on an AFL list. Once I actually found out what his full name was I remembered him from last years draft.
A kid at that age I would think would be really cocky and very quick to tell people he was an AFL player but this kid just seemed so level headed.
All the best to him

I have really high hopes for all 3 of the Mc's

McIntosh
McDonough
McBean

2013 Rookie selection
McStay

Maybe the away strip can have Tartan panels down the side, just to acknowledge the Mc's :p......Gotta be some sort of record for total Mc"s taken in a draft ??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he will play in the VFL ... he is behind foley and Arnot on the pecking order of things

he will play in the VFL ... he is behind foley and Arnot on the pecking order of things

Wouldn't say he's behind Arnot... They're probably on level pegging going into 2014.

IMO McDonough, Helbig and Arnot are battling for a spot next year

Wouldn't say he's behind Arnot... They're probably on level pegging going into 2014.

IMO McDonough, Helbig and Arnot are battling for a spot next year

Not sure about there being a defined pecking order. IMO they are different types who aren't directly competing against each other, but for different positions/roles in the side. If you need some pure inside grunt, pick Arnot. If some inside and a bit of outside defensive versatility is required, Helbig is your man. If you require some small forward bite along with attacking midfield assistance, call on McDonough. Just depends on the requirements of the team, and with a bit of luck there is little reason they can't all be playing in the 1st at the same time. At the very least I would expect them to get some games at different times over the next season, depending on who we are playing and what specific traits are required.

Not sure about there being a defined pecking order. IMO they are different types who aren't directly competing against each other, but for different positions/roles in the side. If you need some pure inside grunt, pick Arnot. If some inside and a bit of outside defensive versatility is required, Helbig is your man. If you require some small forward bite along with attacking midfield assistance, call on McDonough. Just depends on the requirements of the team, and with a bit of luck there is little reason they can't all be playing in the 1st at the same time. At the very least I would expect them to get some games at different times over the next season, depending on who we are playing and what specific traits are required.

You're right, they could all comfortably play in the same 22 without infringing upon each other's positional ownership

Just saying that next year, they're unlikely to all play regular senior football. There's probably only one, maybe two spots for them to fill barring injury of course

You're right, they could all comfortably play in the same 22 without infringing upon each other's positional ownership

Just saying that next year, they're unlikely to all play regular senior football. There's probably only one, maybe two spots for them to fill barring injury of course

Yep, I see what you mean. Its going to be hard to crack a spot in the side next year for any of them. Arnot seems a likely replacement for Tuck, not sure how Helbig will go, and McDonough should get an early chance, but might be competing against Ellis, who Dimma has mention might be tried at HF. But for Helbig, I would like to see him given an extended chance over a number of weeks, because I reckon he would respond to that. Some guys can go in and out as role players and do their job, but I think Helbig and Griff are types that need to build their confidence with gametime and not play with the thought they are one ordinary game away from being dropped.

Congratulations Matt McDonough , Im really happy to see that he has signed on again and wasnt traded out as i really like this kid and hope he continues to develop into a very good player - I compared him to Chappy 12 months ago but we have seen that the coaches have other plans for him than being a small foward

Alot has been said about this kid Matt McDonogh and alot of people on many forums and at grounds aswell as in pubs are all saying what a smart footballer he is and is a natural footballer thats very quick in the mind and makes good decisions but is slow and is being played out of position by Damien Hardwick.

Most people do agree that he is a natuaral foward withe elite kicking and good hands but feel that he wont make it because small fowards need to have speed, lightening pace - But i would like to think outside the box here alittle and say - No this kid is not a foward and was only played there because of his limited tank and he is actually a midfielder that can play foward and Dimma is just teaching him the HB role to develope his defensive game.

The player i have chosen to compare him to is a player that is 1cm shorter & 2kgs lighter than matt and was selected with #36 in the 2001 draft by hawthorn, This player was also considered way too slow to make it but had a good football mind and his statts at the same age/games as matt was unbelievably close almost exactly the same its freaky - Same everything height,weight,speed,drafted range,statts - Can anybody guess who this player is
(I'll Give you a hint , He has 3 premiership medallions 1 for each of his children)

Mr Sam Mitchell - Hawthorn Football Club

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...d1=266&tid2=15&pid2=3835&type=A&fid1=O&fid2=O

Congratulations Matt McDonough , Im really happy to see that he has signed on again and wasnt traded out as i really like this kid and hope he continues to develop into a very good player - I compared him to Chappy 12 months ago but we have seen that the coaches have other plans for him than being a small foward

Alot has been said about this kid Matt McDonogh and alot of people on many forums and at grounds aswell as in pubs are all saying what a smart footballer he is and is a natural footballer thats very quick in the mind and makes good decisions but is slow and is being played out of position by Damien Hardwick.

Most people do agree that he is a natuaral foward withe elite kicking and good hands but feel that he wont make it because small fowards need to have speed, lightening pace - But i would like to think outside the box here alittle and say - No this kid is not a foward and was only played there because of his limited tank and he is actually a midfielder that can play foward and Dimma is just teaching him the HB role to develope his defensive game.

I don't think there really is a 'pure' small forward role any more. Everyone has to be able to handle a midfield rotation.

I also remember one of the assistant coaches saying a while back that the reason they take forwards and put them on the HBF is because that's where they'll get more of the ball and be able to develop quicker. A small forward, left up forward will get to maybe 30 contests. Better to get them where they'll get to 70-80 contests.

I'm really happy he's staying also. If we're to push up the ladder next year, it has to be on the back of big improvement from guys like him, McIntosh, Griffiths, Vickery, Lennon and Vlaustin. It's a huge year for our club next year. We have to make considerable headway to make sure we're attractive to the big name free agents next offseason. If we don't, then the opposite could very well happen and we lose one or more of our uncontracted (or contracted) guns and its rebuild time again. Not sure I can handle another rebuild without any success before it.

This preseason is really important for him. I would like him to tear it up in the midfield in the NAB cup and demand games from round 1. His ceiling is much higher than Lloyd's and Gordon's. And how about that kick!? elite. Donuts and Lennon are probably the two I want to see the biggest improvement from in 2015.

This preseason is really important for him. I would like him to tear it up in the midfield in the NAB cup and demand games from round 1. His ceiling is much higher than Lloyd's and Gordon's. And how about that kick!? elite. Donuts and Lennon are probably the two I want to see the biggest improvement from in 2015.
Kamdyn McIntosh is another player that i really cant wait to see playing at the higher level - Kid really has some tools and would love him to replace Grigg in 2 years time

Back