Matt Rendell...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mifsud's next meeting with an AFL club:

Mifsud: Any problems?
Club Official: Nuh. Everything is fine.
Mifsud: You have had two boys from the NT leave over the past 18 months. Why?
Club Official: No reason. Just did.
Mifsud: Did they have any problems adjusting to the AFL
Club Official: No! Everything is fine at the AFL. I love Vlad.
Mifsud: Any other problems?
Club Official: Nuh
Mifsud: You haven't recruited any boys from from the NT this year. Any reason
Club Official: No. No reason. Everything is fine.
Mifsud: Thanks for your comments. I must be doing my job. Everything is fine.
Club Official: Everything is fine.

:D

It's not as unlikely as it sounds.

Why would any club official confide in Jason Mifsud from now on? Or trust him to keep any comments confidential?

Especially after he has disclosed comments made in a meeting with Rendell to the press.

This is the situation I see occuring too. We now will have an AFL culture that lives in fear of improving anything.

@TerryWallet Rendell is not being turned into a saint.

He was hung, drawn and quartered by the AFL in front of all of Australia. His own club did not stand behind him and allow him the chance to make a statement. Demetriou passed judgement on him without hearing his side of the story.

He is being sanctified. Some people are taking everything he says at face value and assuming his version is the unvarnished truth. Naturally they are also assuming everything that contradicts him is a lie and/or a conspiracy.

Your username, join date and lack of interest in any other subject suggest you've got an axe to grind on this issue - whatever, but don't pretend to be objective.

Of the people most closely involved in the orginial conversation, we've heard one side only and will hear one more tonight. Of the peope involved in the sacking we've heard from Rendell and Trigg (and at least a bit less directly involved, Demetriou and McLachlan) - Rendell's version has not yet been backed by anyone. Doesn't make him a bad guy - he's obviously confused and angry and we all see our own actions in the best light. But it doesn't make him a total victim either.

I think he was hard done by and should have been offered and gone through mediation instead of being sacked. But from his FC interview I wouldn't be surprised if he'd flown off the handle and just brought his secretly-planned retirement a few months closer instead.

This whole fiasco has legs not because of Rendell and racism, but because of the way he was treated and the lack of due process afforded him that others have enjoyed.

There are wider issues raised: We now have an AFL were club employees will be fearful of everything they say to AFL officials, the AFL does not allow dissenting points of view so there is no point speaking up, even to a mate in an informal converstion, the AFL is selective in when it affords due process to people, the AFL will protect its sponsorship and grant money no matter what the human cost...... I could go on but there is no point.

The AFL as a system is weaker because of the way it handled the whole thing.

Your username, join date and lack of interest in any other subject suggest you've got an axe to grind on this issue - whatever, but don't pretend to be objective.

I think he was hard done by and should have been offered and gone through mediation instead of being sacked. But from his FC interview I wouldn't be surprised if he'd flown off the handle and just brought his secretly-planned retirement a few months closer instead.

You need to dig further if you think I have an axe to grind. I joined when doing this years DT as this year I am taking it seriously. I stumbled upon this forum when searching who the rookies were this year.

If you pop into the SC and DT sections you will see my first posts have been in those forums.

As per my interest in this, I have clearly stated my position.
I worked in 2 different boarding schools in Darwin on 2 different occasions. In both of these schools the boarders were mostly Indigenous kids from families who lived in isolated communities. Families who chose to send their children there did so for an education. As parents, like all parents, they (the parents) wanted the best education and the best future for their children. Many, but not all of the children arrived in Year 8 with almost no English. Mind you they may have known 3 or 4 Indigenous languages. By year 9 to 10 most of the boys would have been initiated, and they were in a culture (at school) that still treated them as boys but in the communities they were men. The situation is complex, difficult yet many families wanted their kids to be able to survive "in the mainstream" as it is called, as well as their homeland.

One of my students was Nathan Djerrkura. He displayed tremendous athletic ability. He was also one of the most polite, curteous and hard-working students I have taught. No matter how challenging the work, he always made the effort to learn. His sporting talent must have been scouted because he was offered a football scholarship to Scotch College (Vic) and subsequently was picked up by Geelong at a time when it was full of gun players and breaking into the squad was difficult. Now with the Western Bulldogs he has made a career out of football.

Surely any suggestion of providing an opportunity (such as this example) where parents and students can make a choice is not racist. There are all sorts of programmes available to assist marginalised or disadvantaged groups. Rendell's idea is not any different than the example(s) quoted above. Maybe AFL employees took offence if Rendell didn't agree with their approach, or put his points across bluntly or casually or with sloppy language. Surely the approach of reconciliation is the way to work with a conflict situation like this.

Rendell was made a scapegoat by the AFL, thrown under the bus, left hanging by his employer. He was not given the opportunity to face his accusors, or face the press before it all hit the fan. Other agendas seem to be at play. The who thing stinks to high heaven.

Rendell can see the damage that will occur to "The Game" because of the unfair treatment he recieved. Like stepping down for the good of the Club, he has called for closure in this matter for the good of the game. Both of these are at his own personal expense. He is a broken man who did not deserve this treatment. I am sickened by those that assert he deserved the treament he recieved. The issues of racism are close to my heart and I can't see the sense in treating Matt Rendell the way the AFL has. I hope they are ashamed, but I fear (and know) that AFL house is too arrogant to have such feelings.

Just shameful.

As for my username, my internet username has been Mattrox since I started using the internet regularly ~'96.

You are reading way to much into my involvement.

Sounds like a normal staff meeting when Vlad is around

"Everything is fine"

The Emperor needs new clothes.

No he did not. This has been discussed repeatedly. He warned that clubs may start doing this if things don't improve. He did not endorse this, he did not say it would be a good thing or a right thing. He said things could get so bad that it might happen.

As Keyser said last night, Winston Churchill warning that the Germans were going to go to war is not at all the same thing as Churchill saying he loved the Nazis.

I never said he endorsed it.

The fact is, he could have said "clubs will start looking to taking players based on whether their upbringing is closer to that of modern Australian society."

Would've been fine.

Instead, he brought skin colour into it, saying they'd look at drafting with one white parent. What if the one white parent was an abusive alcoholic, but the black parent held a stable job and was the only stability in the upbringing?

THAT is why it is a disgusting generalisation. It's got nothing to do with context or intention... it's the fact that he made a poorly worded statement that the AFL and the Adelaide Football Club have every right to distance themselves as far as possible from.

He is being sanctified. Some people are taking everything he says at face value and assuming his version is the unvarnished truth. Naturally they are also assuming everything that contradicts him is a lie and/or a conspiracy.

Of the people most closely involved in the orginial conversation, we've heard one side only and will hear one more tonight. Of the peope involved in the sacking we've heard from Rendell and Trigg (and at least a bit less directly involved, Demetriou and McLachlan) - Rendell's version has not yet been backed by anyone. Doesn't make him a bad guy - he's obviously confused and angry and we all see our own actions in the best light. But it doesn't make him a total victim either.

Rendell is not being sanctified. He is being respected as a sincere person who wears his heart on his sleeve, and who has been unjustly accused as being racist. Demetriou can wriggle around all he likes on whether he labelled Rendell racist, but Demtriou has been reported as saying that there is no context that would excuse Rendell's comment. That is definitely labelling Rendell racist.

How does saying Rendell is not racist become sanctifying him?

Agreed, the lie/conspiracy stuff is OTT.

He has clearly overstepped the mark in some way. Though not in the sensationalist headline way he has been crucified over.

Tonight’s interview will be interesting.

I never said he endorsed it.

The fact is, he could have said "clubs will start looking to taking players based on whether their upbringing is closer to that of modern Australian society."

Would've been fine.

Instead, he brought skin colour into it, saying they'd look at drafting with one white parent. What if the one white parent was an abusive alcoholic, but the black parent held a stable job and was the only stability in the upbringing?

THAT is why it is a disgusting generalisation. It's got nothing to do with context or intention... it's the fact that he made a poorly worded statement that the AFL and the Adelaide Football Club have every right to distance themselves as far as possible from.

He did not bring it into it, that is what they were talking about. They were talking about indigenous kids from remote communities.

He did not bring it into it, that is what they were talking about. They were talking about indigenous kids from remote communities.

So there evidence to support the assumption indigenous kids from remote communities that have one white parent are better off than indigenous kids from remote communities that have two black parents? I find that hard to believe.

By the way, say there is more to Rendell's treatment by AFL house than just the racism issue is not crying conspiracy. The timing of events has concerned many people.

Look at the date on this report.
http://auspost.com.au/about-us/australia-post-afl-multicultural-ambassador.html

Given that Ali Fahour was in the room and was offended by the converstion.... anyway people will draw whatever conclusion they want.

Is it a conspiracy to ask:
Is the AFL protecting its sponsorship at the expense of due process?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So there evidence to support the assumption indigenous kids from remote communities that have one white parent are better off than indigenous kids from remote communities that have two black parents? I find that hard to believe.

No one said "better off" "superiour". And no one said there is evidence to support it.

Yes, what he said might be inferred that way, and what he said was inappropriate, surely this is where due process and the education afforded to others in the AFL system could surely have applied. When the Winmar incident occurred we didn't see such an assasination. recent comments by high profile people also haven't resulted in heads rolling either......

If I was Rendell, assuming his version of the story is correct, then I wouldn't have resigned, I would have made them sack me then taken them to court for unfair dismissal.

The way I see it that's the only way once all this started (and given his claims that Adelaide didn't let him present his side of the story either publically or privately) that he salvages his reputation and forces the club to prove its side.

Just to clarify - by remote communities, we ARE talking about Adelaide kids drafted to Melbourne right? :)

Here is my interpretation of Rendell's white parent comment.

I think there would be general agreement that firstly he was saying indigenous kids from remote communities have a harder time adapting to AFL life than kids who have previously moved from those communities. He used Cyril Rioli as an example who, in Rendell's opinion, benefited from moving to a boarding school in Melbourne.

My interpretation following on from that, is that I believe the statement on white parents was in the context that an indigenous kid with a white parent was less likely to live in a remote community and that being so, was more likely to have the ability to adapt to 'big city' life and AFL football.

And in that context unless the issues he perceived to exist with draftees straight out of remote communities were properly addressed then AFL clubs in the future were less likely to select players from remote communities, but would focus on players who had relocated from those areas.

His believe that something needed to be done to prepare kids from remote communities for the demands of AFL football therefore led to his unfortunate, misplaced and hyperbolic use of the white parents phrase.

If I was Rendell, assuming his version of the story is correct, then I wouldn't have resigned, I would have made them sack me then taken them to court for unfair dismissal.

The way I see it that's the only way once all this started (and given his claims that Adelaide didn't let him present his side of the story either publically or privately) that he salvages his reputation and forces the club to prove its side.

You have to put yourself in Rendell's shoes and if you haven't experienced anything like what he has gone through that is pretty hard.

A month or so after he has had a a conversation with a mate where he thinks he is trying to do the right thing or present a solution to a problem that he is seeing on a recurring basis a s**t storm blows up with him as the central character and Vlad making statements that he should be looking for another job.

The moment he and the club are identified in the press as the man - he's a dead duck.

Trigg had nowhere to go, so Matt does what an honourable man would do and falls on his own sword, saving an unsavoury exit. He doesn't want any fuss, doesn't want to hurt the club.

But his exit only causes it to explode, he goes on FC to defend himself and what he said only for it to pour more petrol on the fire.

I've been in a similar to place to where he is now over a work issue. It's a dark cavernous place and it would have sucked the life out of him. Right now he just wants it to end and I took yesterdays interview as him basically just wanting to put a stop to it, so that he can try to move on.

I wish him all the best.

And you are sanctimonious

But probably correct.

I've been in a similar to place to where he is now over a work issue. It's a dark cavernous place and it would have sucked the life out of him. Right now he just wants it to end and I took yesterdays interview as him basically just wanting to put a stop to it, so that he can try to move on.

I wish him all the best.

Been there too, comrade. You have to draw the line and walk away at some point, otherwise trying to get some justice can ruin your life.

Rendell has had good early counsel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back