Free Agency Matt Suckling signed with Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice kick but has the habit of shaking them. His 1/1 defence is suspect, probably more suited to wing\half forward role we've been playing Jarrad Grant this year.

Not convinced he's worth it

It depends on how much you're giving him. Very good endurance.

Nice kick but has the habit of shaking them. His 1/1 defence is suspect, probably more suited to wing\half forward role we've been playing Jarrad Grant this year.

Not convinced he's worth it

I would be far more comfortable having him on a wing or an "offensive" HBF. He doesnt have the speed or tank of Isaac Smith (but then again who does), but he has a great kick and will always back himself.

He would be far better off at the Dogs than Lions. Lions would be far too dependent on him and I suspect he would end up being a failure there. If he goes to the Dogs its because Bevo has a very good plan for him.

Oh goody, another chance for the AFL to give Hawthorn a bag of peanuts as compensation for losing a free agent.

For the past 12 months, I've listened to people whinge about how free agency favours Hawthorn, but we're actually one of the teams which has lost the most free agents and been completely shafted by the AFL when it comes to compensation.

Matt Suckling will be a great pickup for the Dogs

2009 - 1 game
2010 - 5 games,
2011 - 23 games, 491 disposals, 8 goals
2012 - 25 games, 499 disposals, 16 goals
2013 - missed season with a knee injury
2014 - 23 games, 479 disposals, 12 goals
2015 - 25 games, 483 disposals, 15 goals

27 years old
102 games, 2 premierships
20.0 disposals per game

One of the most lethal left foot kicks in the AFL, as demonstrated once more in the 2015 finals.

Last edited:

Oh goody, another chance for the AFL to give Hawthorn a bag of peanuts as compensation for losing a free agent.

For the past 12 months, I've listened to people whinge about how free agency favours Hawthorn, but we're actually one of the teams which has lost the most free agents and been completely shafted by the AFL when it comes to compensation.

In open trading you'd be lucky to get a second rounder for Suckling. What do you think you'll get compo wise? I'd say after your second pick or a third rounder.

In open trading you'd be lucky to get a second rounder for Suckling. What do you think you'll get compo wise? I'd say after your second pick or a third rounder.
End of 3rd round? That'll be pick 56, 57, 58… :rolleyes:
Clubs these days practically give away draft picks in that range. That's when you see some clubs say "pass"

Dale Thomas - pick 9 to Coll
Danyle Pearce - pick 30 to Port
Troy Chaplin - pick 31 to Port
Colin Sylvia - pick 23 to Melb
Nick Dal Santo (30yo) - pick 25 to St Kilda
Nick Malceski (31yo) - pick 39 to Sydney

Suckling has been an entrenched part of a premiership team and is in the prime of his career.
He is going to give the Bulldogs a hell of a lot more than those players listed above. Wait and see.

Last edited:
End of 3rd round? That'll be pick 56, 57, 58… :rolleyes:
Clubs these days practically give away draft picks in that range. That's when you see some clubs say "pass"

Dale Thomas - pick 9 to Coll
Danyle Pearce - pick 30 to Port
Troy Chaplin - pick 31 to Port
Colin Sylvia - pick 23 to Melb
Nick Dal Santo (30yo) - pick 25 to St Kilda
Nick Malceski (31yo) - pick 39 to Sydney

Suckling has been an entrenched part of a premiership team and is in the prime of his career.
He is going to give the Bulldogs a hell of a lot more than those players listed above. Wait and see.

Your compensation is based on your final ladder position, you finished first. Not sure you'll find a club willing to offer you a pick when they can nab the player for free.

When you are a top side you don't get compo you think you are entitled to. He isn't worth a first rounder and you won't get one.

Over the past 12 months, I've been astonished at how insecure fans of a hugely successful club can be and how much they care about what others think of them.

I could see Sydney being really interested in Suckling. Especially considering they can secure him without giving up assets. Is from NSW originally as well.
They lost Malceski last summer, and will lose Shaw and maybe Jetta this summer. Suckling could be a good replacement across halfback. Shouldn't cost more than the 350k BS limit that they have been penalised with (if it isn't lifted).

Wagga is closer to Melbourne than Sydney.

The compensation is the salary cap space that is freed up. Consider Buddy Franklin. I reckon we've gotten more value out of the million a year we would have been paying him, by paying it to others, than we would have by paying it to him. The draft pick is just a bonus. Or to put it another way, given the players currently on Hawthorn's list, I'd say we are more constrained by salary cap space than we are by available draft picks when it comes to assembling a playing list for 2016. Viewed like that, it doesn't matter all that much what pick we get or don't get. We already have the players, the challenge is fitting them into the salary cap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He can pull out the odd shank from time to time, as well as grubbers and half-volleys.

But then you also get kicks like the goal after the 3/4 time siren in the PF.

yeah, sometimes his kicks look terrible, but hit a pinpoint target....

can definitely be a little cute at times...but would be a handy addition to most lists

Picking up Frawley for nothing, and Lake (traded due to his FA status the following year) I shouldn't think you guys have done too badly on balance.
Buddy compo screwed you over, clearly but that's the maximum you could get.

After seeing Ward being judged half of one Tom Scully in the expansion compo scheme I'm not banking on the AFL being fair anytime soon.

Losing Franklin for nothing
Late first rounder. Not his worth, but not nothing

Lake for a second rounder was about right, his career was going down the toilet.
Downgrade of second rounder and a third rounder (we on-traded it for Koby Stevens).

Lake won a Norm Smith & 3 premierships, we're more than happy with Hrovat & Stevens. Classic win/win trade

Late first rounder. Not his worth, but not nothing

Downgrade of second rounder and a third rounder (we on-traded it for Koby Stevens).

Lake won a Norm Smith & 3 premierships, we're more than happy with Hrovat & Stevens. Classic win/win trade

Doesn't look like FA has done us any favours on that balance. Lose a once in a generation player for Pick 20, and a trade that looks like a draw that may have occured to pre-empt FA.

It depends on how much you're giving him. Very good endurance.

I'm hearing 400k, hence the question.

Then again I trust Beveridge would know alot more about him then me, happy to be wrong.

Doesn't look like FA has done us any favours on that balance. Lose a once in a generation player for Pick 20, and a trade that looks like a draw that may have occured to pre-empt FA.
You should've got 2 first rounders for him.

The problem with FA is the compensation, it should be handed out by clubs similar to a trade, not the AFL.

Future picks could help in this regard also.

If a player is ranked a certain industry standard then it triggers a certain trade scenario. A player like Frawley wasn't worth pick 3, but he would've been worth a late first rounder for sure. Dangerfield is worth 2 first rounders easily.

It would keep clubs like Geelong honest also, not getting ready made players from struggling teams all the time for nothing, good to hear Dangerfield will be a trade.

You should've got 2 first rounders for him.

The problem with FA is the compensation, it should be handed out by clubs similar to a trade, not the AFL.

Future picks could help in this regard also.

If a player is ranked a certain industry standard then it triggers a certain trade scenario. A player like Frawley wasn't worth pick 3, but he would've been worth a late first rounder for sure. Dangerfield is worth 2 first rounders easily.

It would keep clubs like Geelong honest also, not getting ready made players from struggling teams all the time for nothing, good to hear Dangerfield will be a trade.
Who decides what the industry standard is? What variables do you use to measure this? What variables do you ignore?
The problem is that this will always be a subjective judgement. What a player is worth to one team is not always equal to what he is worth to another. How will there ever be agreeance on the value of a player? All subjective judgements should be removed from the administration of the game. Priority picks, compensation picks, load of garbage.
The only way to ever make compensation for loss of free agents fair is to not have it. It should be scrapped. It doesn't make sense. Why should all the other teams in the competition be penalised for a teams inability to hang onto their player?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back