News Matthew Egan launches legal action over the treatment of his foot injury

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
It may depend on the long-term prognosis for Simpson after he has his back op.
It would be interesting to know what it was after each of the first 2 back ops.
One can only assume that it was relatively positive each time.

In all seriousness, given how Geelong are with injured players, has there ever been an operation or a prognosis that wasn't positive? We have numerous players missing big to enormous chunks of a season repeatedly, but it all seems a bit sunshine and lollipops from the club.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
These ruck types can change otto was forward ruck and became a great number one big guy.

In truth Ottens gradually evolved, even at Richmond. He had a great season in 2001 kicking 46 goals and the entire football world simultaneously fell in love with him, and also demanded that he become John Coleman, Michael Roach and Doug Wade all in one. As the seasons went by and he didn't do that, the love turned to vicious hatred very quickly. Those who actually saw Richmond games between 2002-2004 saw that he was becoming a very decent ruckman - problem was no one wanted him there, including Richmond. Geelong got sucked in as well at the start of 2005, and as late as the first round of 2007. We got completely belted by the Dogs, and Ottens played full forward and was useless. Sometime that week Mark Thompson must have had cold water thrown in his face; because from that point Ottens played 20 more games that season and all of them in the ruck. We won 19 of them.

Point is, don't expect even the most athletic ruckman to become a top goalkicker. It's just not going to happen.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Much as I really like and rate DS, how many players have survived 3 back ops?
I can't recall one, over the past 50 years.
Once fit and confident, he can be a weapon, but right now I think of him as a time bomb sadly.
My interest in this years finals campaign for us has definitely taken a battering with DS's news- was one player I really hoped would play AFL finals. I recall him walking around the group after all our GF wins, celebrating with his mates, and not part of it. He does stand out for obvious reasons.
Yeah- I thought the same thing when I heard he needed another back op. Somewhere along the line you've got to weigh up your long term future and work out if you want to have a couple more years at the elite level or if you want to be able to walk freely for the next 50 years. I think he's got some tough choices to make.

FORMER Cat Matthew Egan failed to heed medical advice during his team trip to Bali in 2007, his doctors will argue in response to a negligence lawsuit over his career-ending foot injury. ...

In defence documents lodged with the court, Dr Bradshaw and Mr Blackney deny the allegations and argue “if there was any negligence or breach of agreement ... the plaintiff [Egan] was contributorily negligent”.

“On or about 18 or 19 September 2007 [Dr Bradshaw] advised the plaintiff to cease rehabilitation aimed at participating in the 2007 Australia Football League Grand Final and advised him to immobilise the right foot,” defence documents for Dr Bradshaw state.

“He failed to heed advice to remain non-weight bearing or alternatively in a CAM (Controlled Ankle Movement) walker during an end-of-season player’s holiday to Bali,” defence documents for Mr Blackney state.

“He performed activities which resulted him in weight-bearing on his right foot or taking off his CAM walker, including dancing, while on the Bali holiday contrary to medical advice.”

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...ng-doctors-argue/story-fnjuhovy-1227194969582

Sep 22, 2000
Calling Wambulances for the Geelong whiners
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ford
Aahhh, the good old Dancing Defence.
Hope it was better than this

elaine-dancing-gif.gif

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/pssst-f...-foot-claim-out-of-court-20160201-gmiq9c.html

Former Geelong defender Matthew Egan has quietly dropped his legal case and settled out of court against the Cats' former club doctor and an orthopaedic surgeon for negligence after a foot injury prematurely ended his career. Egan, 31, had played every home and away game for the Cats in 2007 before being injured in round 22 in a marking contest with Brisbane Lion Jonathan Brown, forcing him to miss out on playing in the team's grand final win over Port Adelaide. In a writ filed with the Supreme Court in August, 2014, Egan sued orthopaedic surgeon Mark Blackney and Geelong club doctor Chris Bradshaw — who has since joined Collingwood — for negligence over the medical treatment he received after sustaining a stress fracture to his navicular bone in his right foot when playing for the Cats on September 1, 2007. Egan did not play another game, and was delisted by the Cats in 2010. However, court documents show "this proceeding has resolved" and the listed February 16 trial date has now been "vacated" and there was "no order as to costs". Egan will be Essendon's VFL coach this season and head of player development.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/pssst-f...-foot-claim-out-of-court-20160201-gmiq9c.html

Back