Retired Matthew 'Goose' Maguire (2009-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

It might be his last year, but from someone at the game I think Maguire played really well and just added enormous experience / calmness to the backline. He did quite a number of very good one percenters that perhaps didn't get picked up well on TV.

In fact, if he can stay fit I don't see why he shouldn't keep playing. It allows Merrett to play forward and I think it is becoming clearer that we need Merrett in our forward line to help Brown.

I bow to your judgement LOTR, as you had the better vantage point. But to elaborate on my point, the Bombers were distinctly slow in getting the ball forward, so our backline was not put under much pressure. I do recall a couple of fairly costly mistakes, and he does push the boundary in terms of infringing in contests. To some extent that is using his experience, but playing roulette with the umps doesn't inspire confidence. Don't think he deserves a roast, but IMO Patfull, Clarke and Gardiner were all better. I didn't pick up on the one percenters, so that would suggest he was better than I have given him credit.

Appeal Goose! I was really looking forward to seeing him play in Melbourne this week. I am not sure his body can stand much more. May be Melbourne based supporters last chance to show their appreciation.

I think his main contribution to the side last week was that he gave the younger players more confidence and helped the structure. It will be interesting to see how he goes against the side that moves the ball quicker. Overall big man crush on the Goose.

Goose played really well last week. I can't believe this is a suspension when Chapman can elbow someone in the head and get away with it....

The AFL needs to stop the anti-Brisbane sentiments in places like the MRP.

I hope we sign him for 2015. Even if he plays 10 odd games next year due to the younger blokes standing up. He such a great character and the type I reckon every club needs. He has been good this season since coming in. Hope he plays out the rest of the season in the firsts as I reckon Clarke is learning a lot from him being in the same team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is getting to the stage where I'd be really surprised if Goose doesn't go around again. He really firms the team up down back. We've got so many kids down there already it is hard to mount the argument that he'd be holding a youngster back.

If his body's up to it, here's hoping he gets another year.

He reads the game well still, is a strong body and is a smart defender in terms of positioning - everyone talks about him being slow but I've rarely seen him give his forwards the position where they can burn him with pace.

He reads the game well still, is a strong body and is a smart defender in terms of positioning - everyone talks about him being slow but I've rarely seen him give his forwards the position where they can burn him with pace.

Exactly. He uses his smarts so that it only happens once or twice a game which is more than acceptable. In some respects, the zone nature of modern defensive structures really suit him because he reads the play and reacts, rather than being forced to follow his opponent around. The Hawthorn defence plays in a similar way, with guys like Gibson, Lake and Stratton great at reading and intercepting the forward movement. With Patfull and Maguire, we've got two guys who can intercept the footy regularly, which is a massive boost in modern footy.

I think his offensive rebound is something that is overlooked as well. He is no superstar, but his long kicking is often effective, and he has followed the ball up the ground on occasion helping the rebound.

Again, he is no star in this area, but I dont think it is a weekness either. He really does just anchor the defensive unit and allow all the other defenders to play better positions.

It is really an amazing story.

When we picked Goose up as a prematurely battle-worn (and arguably broken down) 99 gamer from St Kilda I probably had him at 50/50 odds to even play that 100th AFL game and at about 10-1 to play 30 games with us.

Now he has played 64 games with us and honestly looks like he has 2 more seasons in him at least. What a heartwarming story it would be if he ends up playing 100 games for the Brisbane Lions.

Edit: even more so if he has a son who goes on to be a quality league footballer. The Saints fans would be nauseous.

It is really an amazing story.

When we picked Goose up as a prematurely battle-worn (and arguably broken down) 99 gamer from St Kilda I probably had him at 50/50 odds to even play that 100th AFL game and at about 10-1 to play 30 games with us.

Now he has played 64 games with us and honestly looks like he has 2 more seasons in him at least. What a heartwarming story it would be if he ends up playing 100 games for the Brisbane Lions.

Edit: even more so if he has a son who goes on to be a quality league footballer. The Saints fans would be nauseous.
He's seemed a lot happier ever since he got his rod out.

Aren't we all.
385959-brendan-fevola.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back