Retired Matthew 'Goose' Maguire (2009-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Credit to Goose for not dropping his head at the start of the year while he was in the reserves and young players were getting games over him. I think it has been an impressive effort for him to come back and earn his spot in the best 22 again. I love the Goose and always backed him to return. I hope he remains on the list for next year and potentially the one after as well. He is a quality defender.

Kept his mouthguard in for a bit of the interview on the Lions website... He loves that mouthguard. What a champ. Great goal today from GOOSE!

Give him another year I say.

I'd be astonished if he's not around next year. The only possible reason would be he's decided to call it quits but can't see why he would do that when it's a decent paycheck and he's in possibly the best form of his career.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Goose could go on for say another 3 or 4 years? I've go an inkling that he'll keep on producing till his mid 30's.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Goose could go on for say another 3 or 4 years? I've go an inkling that he'll keep on producing till his mid 30's.

I've heard stories of the effort he puts in to get his body up for games. He had some horrific injuries over his career and I suspect it will catch up with him eventually. If he got to 100 games with us though it would be a great story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't get enough of the Goose! Sign him up!
Here's some more and I agree.
x51kg26.png

Goose (chatting with Ace) - 2014 NAB game vs Hawks [freddie foto]

Surgery for Rog and Goose

Daniel Merrett and Matt Maguire will undergo surgery once the Brisbane Lions’ 2014 campaign comes to a close, to clean up minor ailments ahead of next season. Physical Performance Manager Brett Burton, of the Bupa Recovery Team, said the pair’s respective injuries weren’t anything serious and wouldn’t hinder their 2015 pre-season preparations. “Goose will go in for an ankle clean-up,” Burton told LionsTV as part of the Bupa Recovery Report. “Both those (surgeries) are minor clean-ups, so they’ll be back for a full pre-season.”

Meanwhile, Brisbane is set to reward veteran defender Matt Maguire with a one-year contract extension after the old dog learned some new tricks in 2014. The 30-year-old’s was heading to the scrapheap as he struggled to adapt to the new game plan under senior coach Justin Leppitsch and was languishing in the reserves for the first two months of the season. However, the former St Kilda star breathed life back into his AFL career by buying into Leppitsch’s strategy and quickly became the defensive rock for the Lions in the second-half of the season. He finished with 14 senior games for the year as the leader of a young backline that includes the likes of Darcy Gardiner, Daniel McStay, Tom Cutler and Justin Clarke who feed off his experience.

The Lions have started talks with Maguire’s manager to lock-in a one-year extension for 2015 and hope to have the deal done in the near future. “Goose (Maguire) has been invaluable for us. With Dan Merrett up forward, he has given us that big bodied, experienced player down back,’’ Brisbane football manager Dean Warren said. “Our young blokes certainly walk taller when he is on the field. “It took him time to adjust to the game plan but he embraced it and became a very important player.’’ Maguire joined Brisbane at the end of 2009 as part of the club’s ill-fated recruitment drive that included Brendan Fevola. But Maguire has churned out 69 senior games for the Lions to be the best buy of the audacious talent raid.

Awesome news; always been a supporter of the Goose and said it all year that he made the entire back line walk taller upon his inclusion.

That article also seeems to explain his absence in the first half of the season - he struggled with the change of gameplan which is understandable for a player of his age/experience.

Once it clicked for him, the team definitely benefited as a result.

That article also seeems to explain his absence in the first half of the season - he struggled with the change of gameplan which is understandable for a player of his age/experience.

Once it clicked for him, the team definitely benefited as a result.

Lisle must have been a master of the new gameplan to get a game ahead of him. Sounds like a copout to me. Fair enough having him behind Merrett, Clarke and Patfull to play him forward in the ressies wasn't going to help him adjust to the new gameplan.

Maguire agrees to new deal

Veteran Brisbane Lions defender Matt Maguire has agreed to a new deal with the Club. The 30-year-old, has committed to a new one-year contract extension, which will see him remain a Lion until at least the end of the 2015 season. Maguire played 13 games for the Club in 2014, providing invaluable experience in a relatively inexperienced Lions backline. Recruited from St Kilda during the 2009 trade period, Maguire has been a solid contributor for the Club since arriving playing 69 games over the past five seasons.

Lions General Manager – Football Operations, Dean Warren, said Maguire provides invaluable experience to the Lions’ young list: “Matt is a fantastic personality to have around the Club and the experience he brings to our young group is invaluable. “We are really pleased that Matt will be going around again in 2015 and there is no doubt that the likes of Darcy Gardiner and Justin Clarke will benefit immensely from having someone with Matt’s experience alongside them in the backline.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back