Recommitted Matthew Kreuzer [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

If he goes surely he is only worth a end of first round compensation pick.
Buddy pick 19...kreuzer pick 2 or 3 spare me...but it is the corrupt afl, they will probably give the lions pick 2 if leuneberge goes.

Spoke to a Carlton recruiter Saturday and the board and recruiting staff (SOS) are keen to be compensated with pick 3 for Kruzer he said -Sydney-WB-Richmond-GWS where all keen but said he would have to pass a medical because its over $600K he will be offered.

He just told you this? And one of the clubs lining up to trade for him is the club with the trading ban? Sounds a little fishy, but I wouldn't mind it being true.

He just told you this? And one of the clubs lining up to trade for him is the club with the trading ban? Sounds a little fishy, but I wouldn't mind it being true.

He probably suits Dogs who need a ruck or Sydney the most, now bellchambers is off the market.
I probably would accept pick 3 for carlisle if blues were interested in a fair trade.

I don't think we would or should. Supporters love him, and he's shown how good he is once fit, but at the end of the day the risk would be too great for a club in our position. If a club signs Kreuzer for 4 then they believe they're a shot at a flag in that time.
If the Bulldogs for example grabbed Kreuzer for 4 years at say $500k and he broke down, then no harm no foul. They'll be contenders in that 4 year window so it's worth the risk, it's not like they gave up picks for him. And he'll probably bounce back within that four year window.
If Carlton re-signs him for four years and he breaks down though, we'd be in a world of hurt. We'll have forfeited compo pick 3 for nothing, and there'll be a spot on our list not being used to develop another player during a rebuild. And if he did bounce back in that 4 year window, it wouldn't matter, as we'd probably still be crap at that stage anyway.

I'm not good with salaries, but I'd say 350k-450k.

Thanks for the response KnaveyBlue Reckon a club would offer at least 4 @$500k as you always have to pay overs to wrench a player out of his club. If that is the tabled offer I doubt that would attract pick #3 for you. Maybe more like end of 1st round. If that was the case I think the Blues should match it.

If the $600k mooted in recent posts ends up being the figure then you might get closer to pick 3 and then it might be worth letting him go. Not sure a club would pay that high though.

If he goes surely he is only worth a end of first round compensation pick.
Buddy pick 19...kreuzer pick 2 or 3 spare me...but it is the corrupt afl, they will probably give the lions pick 2 if leuneberge goes.
Actually makes sense that a lower team gets a higher pick, they need the compensation more, as the loss of a good player obviously has a greater impact. Getting 19 for buddy hasn't exactly hurt them. Maybe a different ranking system needs to be devised, and not give out picks based on rounds, they are too big.

Best to just think this with all his posts.

I probably would accept pick 3 for carlisle if blues were interested in a fair trade.

Not to be rude, but he wants out and has a two-year drug ban hanging over his head. I'd be surprised if the words 'fair trade' have even been uttered by the Blues' recruiters in regard to the Carlisle deal.

Spoke to a Carlton recruiter Saturday and the board and recruiting staff (SOS) are keen to be compensated with pick 3 for Kruzer he said -Sydney-WB-Richmond-GWS where all keen but said he would have to pass a medical because its over $600K he will be offered.

When I quizzed him he said Watering and a a grade onballer? would make Carlton the winner.. think he is right

But they'll get Weitering whether or not Kreuzer stays or go. Its if that pick 3 is worth it.

He probably suits Dogs who need a ruck or Sydney the most, now bellchambers is off the market.
i think u are taking what the essendon players took pick 3 for carlisle now that is a funny one Why would Carlotn risk pick 22 for a player that might get banned for 2 years No way you are dreaming

I think you missed the point..Freo ARE playing 2 finals this year. You can bag Pav all you want but the reality is that captaincy is not just your on field exploits. 1.9 goals may not be much but his captaincy has been a pretty successful one. Pendles would be happy averaging 1.9 possessions per game if it meant he was part of a contending side (so would Murphy)

Maybe so, but with the argument put forward originally, by the same token Murphy would be averaging 30+ this season if he was surrounded by Mayne, Mundy, Hill, Neale, Barlow, Fyfe, etc, etc. instead of guys that mostly have played less than 50 games (Bell has only just reached the mark).
So the argument holds both ways.
I still say that <2 goals a game after being fed on a silver platter by that midfield, from a guy with 300+ games is below par.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL, just an opinion mate. Many players on your list i have a lot of time for, he is not one of them. I would sell the farm for Cripps, he is going to be scary good, love Murphy, a lot of time for Kruze, Jamison. Just have never been a fan of number 4.

I agree with most of that except I think we have hung onto Jamison too long.
He was in AA contention a couple of years ago before yet another injury but he just seems to have lost his way

Stop please, this is becoming a mercy killing. Jones and Tutt, that says everything about Carlton's recruiting strategy. Hopefully it improves this year, to get better you have to give up something.
Dogs lost Griffen, Cooney, Higgins (Jones and Tutt bahaha) and have improved. Carlton could lose Kreuzer, Yarran, Henderson and Bell. Use those picks wisely and you might improve also. The problem with Carlton supporters is that they think they have a divine right to be a league power when they are far from it. Years of arrogance at the draft table and in trading for the now instead of the future has caught up with them. It is back to basics or another decade in the wilderness.
You have no right to bag the Dogs drafting or trading policy. You would drool over the Dogs list.

I am one Carlton fan that thinks the Bulldogs have done well for themselves.
It remains to be seen whether or not Boyd will be a winner or the money/pressure will fold him but you guys would be pretty scary with a mobile ruckman the calibre of a 100% fit Matty Kruezer.
I hope it doesn't happen cos he plays every game at 110% but sadly, I guess there are benefits if he does go.
It will be sad if it happens but it might be a win/win for both parties.
He did knock back offers from GWS, so who knows what will happen?
I kinda wish it was Gibbs instead LOL

Surely Richmond and Carlton can come up with a deal. We offer Kreuzer enough to get you pick 3. We load a 4 year 2.4 million odd deal as much as we can to the first year, then we give you a first rounder for Yarran, but you pay all, or most of Yarrans contract for next season (allowing us to frontload Kreuzer) so we dont lose other players the following 3 years. Carlton get 3 and 14 or whatever it is, we get Kreuzer and Yarran for one first rounder.

Last edited:
Surely Richmond and Carlton can come with a deal. We offer Kreuzer enough to get you pick 3. We load a 4 year 2.4 million odd deal as much as we can to the first year, then we give you a first rounder for Yarran, but you pay all, or most of Yarrans contract for next season (allowing us to frontload Kreuzer) so we dont lose other players the following 3 years. Carlton get 3 and 14 or whatever it is, we get Kreuzer and Yarran for one first rounder.

Who knows?
It's always a crazy time of year.
Look at last year - Beams and Boyd both swapped on big deals, and who would have thought that the Bullies would offload Griffen?
The waters just got a bit murkier today with Carlton officially chasing Treloar.
I can't see it happening but I also don't think it's possible without Kruezer going.
If anything, it might be just the ticket to stop us risking picking up Carlisle.

Surely Richmond and Carlton can come up with a deal. We offer Kreuzer enough to get you pick 3. We load a 4 year 2.4 million odd deal as much as we can to the first year, then we give you a first rounder for Yarran, but you pay all, or most of Yarrans contract for next season (allowing us to frontload Kreuzer) so we dont lose other players the following 3 years. Carlton get 3 and 14 or whatever it is, we get Kreuzer and Yarran for one first rounder.

Why would we give a first rounder for Yarran even if we front loaded Krezuer?

What because we don't lose other players? :drunk: Some players get injured and retired anyway or drop away.

Can't see any reason why would would offer up any more than a second for Yarran particularly if we help CFC with pick 3 for Kruz via FA.

Rather throw the kitchen sink at Treloar to be honest and if we get Kruz and CFC pick 3 great!

Who knows?
It's always a crazy time of year.
Look at last year - Beams and Boyd both swapped on big deals, and who would have thought that the Bullies would offload Griffen?
The waters just got a bit murkier today with Carlton officially chasing Treloar.
I can't see it happening but I also don't think it's possible without Kruezer going.
If anything, it might be just the ticket to stop us risking picking up Carlisle.
The Dogs didn't really offload Griffen, he walked out. Not much we could do about it, other than stick it up GWS and get Boyd.

Why would we give a first rounder for Yarran even if we front loaded Krezuer?

What because we don't lose other players? :drunk: Some players get injured and retired anyway or drop away.

Can't see any reason why would would offer up any more than a second for Yarran particularly if we help CFC with pick 3 for Kruz via FA.

Rather throw the kitchen sink at Treloar to be honest and if we get Kruz and CFC pick 3 great!

Well that depends how much Yarrans current contract is worth next year, it might be difficult to get them both under the cap if we have to pay both next year. Its hard to know without knowing how much players are on and what cap room is free.

Yes we can talk along these line for sure.

Actually makes sense that a lower team gets a higher pick, they need the compensation more, as the loss of a good player obviously has a greater impact. Getting 19 for buddy hasn't exactly hurt them. Maybe a different ranking system needs to be devised, and not give out picks based on rounds, they are too big.

This is clear to anyone who actually thinks about the system and the benefits of ensuring a (relatively) even comp...Unfortunately, people get too caught up in the "ZOMG pick 19 for Buddy" type arguments. If the system doesn't favour the weak in some way, then they are just going to get pillaged before they can build a successful side and the cycle starts again.

Not to mention that free agency probably favours in the stronger teams in other ways because those teams invariably become the destination of choice for players.

Well that depends how much Yarrans current contract is worth next year, it might be difficult to get them both under the cap if we have to pay both next year. Its hard to know without knowing how much players are on and what cap room is free.

It also depends on the replacement value of the commodities in the market as well as their relative worth

The Dogs didn't really offload Griffen, he walked out. Not much we could do about it, other than stick it up GWS and get Boyd.

Yeah you're right but I meant, before the trade period, who would have thought that Griffen, Boyd and Beams would have traded places?
Beams went for family reasons but it still shows that anything is possible.
Back to my original point - the Dogs have done well to get where they are.
They made bold decisions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back