Recommitted Matthew Kreuzer [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone think that in regards to the Krooz to Dogs rumour, that the fact Bev would be close with Bolton may play a part? Coaches surely have a fair bit of pull in these kinds of decisions..

Rumour is that a club is willing to pay $1M a year for Kreuzer.
Not a Victorian club - think it might be GWS or Brisbane.

$300-$400k over market price. About what it would take to convince someone to move to the west of Sydney. No doubt it's GWS and I still think he will turn it down.

Guy called up SEN tonight. Reckons Dogs and Tigers offering 800+k and GWS is the club offering 1mil. Said from source in Carlton FC.

That's crazy money. It would be hard to begrudge him taking it given his tough road to get back on the field and the shelf life of an AFL footballer. Not sure what the other criteria is but on a contract scale that's tier one compo.

Guy called up SEN tonight. Reckons Dogs and Tigers offering 800+k and GWS is the club offering 1mil. Said from source in Carlton FC.

We aren't offering that much at all. We are offering 550 - 600k apparently. Not to mention if GWS have the cap space to offer Kreuzer a million they would be much better placed going off somewhere better or trying to hold onto Treloar with more money.

1m a season is outrageous money for Kreuzer. We can't afford to be throwing around any more contracts that size.

No way in hell would GWS be paying $1m for anyone now. They're not bumping up their offer to Treloar, they're not floating millions for a second ruck.
Maybe GWS know Treloar is gone so available cap space can be used on Kreuzer.

Could be interesting if GWS get Kreuzer and pick #3 from Carlton for Treloar.

Treloar would cost more than pick 3 IMO

What cap space though? Surely Treloar doesn't free up that much? Given he wouldn't have been on mega money this past contract. Their ruck stocks are fine, with Mumford to return and numerous #2 options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It all depends if clubs think the salary cap will go up 3-4mil with the new TV rights then it's not out of the question if they backend contracts.
He still isn't worth that much but

$1 mln per year is too much to match. I would match up to $600k. If true he is good as gone.

Kreuzer + pick 3 is too much for Treloar in a rebuilding side. Midfielders are dime a dozen.

We need a key forward and hope we get Weideman...Weitering and Weideman with pick 2 + 3 is a winner for me.

If mids are a dime a dozen, why don't you have many??? Biggest myth in footy that saying. Quality mids win games.

Just because they have been injured doesn't mean we have no mids.

Murphy, Gibbs, Cripps, Graham (get 20 games out of them next year I would be happy)

We are not ready to go for big ticket players. Unless we need to make 95% of cap.. Judd, Warnock, Henderson, Carrazzo already gone is approx. 15% off the cap we are sitting less than 85% with ~$1 million up our sleeve to make it to 95%. The only reason I would get him.

I'll say this about the likes of Denham, Rucci, Hamilton and Clark...

At least they have more credibility than callers to SEN. :D

Just because they have been injured doesn't mean we have no mids.

Murphy, Gibbs, Cripps, Graham (get 20 games out of them next year I would be happy)

We are not ready to go for big ticket players. Unless we need to make 95% of cap.. Judd, Warnock, Henderson, Carrazzo already gone is approx. 15% off the cap we are sitting less than 85% with ~$1 million up our sleeve to make it to 95%. The only reason I would get him.
Murphy, Gibbs and Cripps, sure. But good teams need to bat 10 deep through the middle.

Treloar would cost more than pick 3 IMO
Spoken like someone who does not have a high draft pick:cry:

According to AFL table pick #3 is worth 2,234 points.

Your first rounder from say 13-19 (if FA activated) is worth 948 to 1,212. If Richmond give up two first rounders (2015 and 2016) you are still offering less than pick #3.

Last edited:
What cap space though? Surely Treloar doesn't free up that much? Given he wouldn't have been on mega money this past contract. Their ruck stocks are fine, with Mumford to return and numerous #2 options.
GWS won games early in the season but were not as competitive once Mumford was out. If they have Kreuzer their ruck division becomes one of the best in the AFL. It is probably their only weakness in 2016 IMO, so hence it is quite possible they will pay Kreuzer a lot to make a weakness a strength.

$1 mln per year is too much to match. I would match up to $600k. If true he is good as gone.

Kreuzer + pick 3 is too much for Treloar in a rebuilding side. Midfielders are dime a dozen.

We need a key forward and hope we get Weideman...Weitering and Weideman with pick 2 + 3 is a winner for me.
Happy to take it to the draft, but maybe SOS can squeeze more out of GWS for pick #3 given it is a thin draft and GWS only need A grade quality picks plus the promotion of their 2/3 academy boys. They may also have a salary cap issue if they get Kreuzer so need to trade someone out. Would love to get Lobb and Treloar for #3 as GWS will not need him if they get Kreuzer. In fact any other quality GWS tall would help CFC, or get GWS late picks to use for Rice and SOSOS.

Getting Kreuzer would be a key milestone for GWS, as it would show they can secure a #1 draft pick FA from another team, showing all their kids GWS is the place to be. Kreuzers work effort around the ground is infectious (watch CFC lift when he plays) - he is an onfield leader setting standards by example. Kreuzer does not rely on others to do the dirty work of getting the ball and lays some heavy tackles around the midfield making the opposition think twice before going for the ball. Exactly what GWS need if they are going to lose Treloar.

Spoken like someone who does not have a high draft pick:cry:

According to AFL table pick #3 is worth 2,234 points.

Your first rounder from say 13-19 (if FA activated) is worth 948 to 1,212. If Richmond give up two first rounders (2015 and 2016) you are still offering less than pick #3.
Points mean jack if they're forced to take their academy player with pick 3

GWS won games early in the season but were not as competitive once Mumford was out. If they have Kreuzer their ruck division becomes one of the best in the AFL. It is probably their only weakness in 2016 IMO, so hence it is quite possible they will pay Kreuzer a lot to make a weakness a strength.
You can't pay what you don't have. GWS can't afford to keep Treloar for more than $600k. Even with him gone they still fall $400k short of the alleged $1 million mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back