leuenbergercq2.jpg

leuenbergersv6.jpg

Twitter

Summary:

* 2nd at Lions in speed testing (#5)
* assigned guersney number 23 (#7)
* osteitis pubis (#28)
* debut: round 14 vs West Coast (#57)
* solo effort against Jolly and Everitt (#122)
* AFLPA best first year player votes (#136)
* preseason woes prior to being drafted (#140)
* 2007 review (#148)
* named in 40 man squad for the Dream Team in the AFL's 150th anniversary fixture (#248)
* right knee injury: lateral meniscus (#286)
* 2008 review (#290)
* left knee injury: lateral meniscus (#334)
* staphylococcus infection (#351)
* 2009 review (#392)
* 2010 review (#480)
* 50th game: round 7 vs Gold Coast (#553)
* 52 hit outs in a game (#566)
* 2nd most hitouts in the competition (#687)
* 2011 review (#697)
* achilles injury (#754)
* placed on long term injury list (#780)
* 2012 review (#840)

Contract status: 2012 - 2013

Merrett-Murray Medal results:

2007: 27th (11 votes)
2008: =27th (6.5 votes)
2009: 30th (3.5 votes)
2010: 9th (24 votes)
2011: 6th (31.5 votes)
2012: 3.5 votes
Coach's votes:

Mike Sheahan's Top 50

Tribunal record:

Re: Matt Leuenberger

Lion's bio
2006 AFL Draft

2006 All Australian Under 18 Team

Matthew Leuenberger - Western Australia, 202cm, 92kg, East Perth
Ruckman with excellent mobility and agility, Leuenberger had 61 hit outs - the most in the championships. His marking in extremely wet conditions in game three was impressive for his team.

AIS Profile

Matthew Leuenberger

Name: Matthew Leuenberger

Sport: Australian Rules Football

Position/event: Ruck

Date of birth / birthplace: 7 June 1988 - Perth, WA

Are you also a SIS / SAS scholarship holder, and if so what institute / academy?

What year did you begin your AIS scholarship? 2005

What is your most significant achievement in sport?
Being awarded an AIS scholarship

What is your major sporting goal?
To play AFL

Who are your idols, and why (not necessarily sporting)? Michael Jordan - failed to make the high school team but persisted and became the greatest

Who has most influenced your sporting career, and why? Parents - have always believed in me and encouraged me

Do you work or study while training - if so what?
Study at Hale School - doing 5 TEE subjects

How do you hope to be remembered when you retire from your sport?
He gave his all and to be respected

What are your career goals after sport?
Become a surveyor

What do you regard as the most memorable sporting moment?
1995 AFL grand final when Carlton had their last win

leuenbergerhh2.jpg

Link

10 Reasons Why Carlton Need Matthew Leuenberger
October 4th 2006 12:13

It is nearly a coin-flip for Carlton as they decide between Gibbs and Leuenberger. If the priority picks were ahead of the first round, instead of after it, there would not be a problem.

1: The huge need there is a ruckman, and there are not many quality ruckman to pick from in the draft.

2: With Barnaby French retired, Deluca is the only player on the senior list who is at least 200cm tall.

3: Leuenberger was the All-Australian ruckmen at the Under 18 titles.

4: Blues need to add a young ruckman who can develop alongside their young onballers like Murphy. McLaren does not fit this criteria.

5: Leuenberger has added 5 or 6 kilograms over the past season, at this rate it will take at most two seasons for him to be at his perfect playing weight.

6: Carlton have never drafted a young star ruckmen, this needs to change. Ricky Mott and Andrew Merrington were the best they did?

7: Leuenberger is a ruckman who can take an overhead mark, you might have to go back to Fitzpatrick for a ruckman who was reliable taking a mark.

8: O'hAilpin looks like a star backman in the making, if they try to convert him to the ruck it may not be as successful.

9: Leuenberger was the best on ground for the WAFL Colts Grand Final, nothing better than a Mel Whinnen Medallist.

10: He is a Carlton supporter.

Leuenberger a prime target

Leuenberger a prime target

By David Davutovic
November 10, 2006

MATTHEW Leuenberger is the type of recruit the AFL prides itself on these days.

Basketball and athletics were part of his sporting repertoire years ago, but the ruckman reached the fork in the road.

"I took athletics pretty seriously and I played a lot of basketball in my early teens and had to choose basketball or footy," the 203cm Leuenberger said.

"I always wanted to make it to the highest level in footy because the AFL looks so much more appealing than the NBL."

Recruiters are licking their lips at the prospect of snaring Leuenberger, who is regarded as the best national draft ruck prospect since Josh Fraser went to Collingwood in 1999.

He is said to be in the mould of West Coast ruckman Dean Cox.

Despite his enormous potential, the East Perth giant could slip as low as No.6 in the November 25 draft because of the way the cards have fallen.

Carlton has committed to St Kilda ruckman Cain Ackland in the pre-season draft, and it is keen on Glenelg's readymade onballer Bryce Gibbs for its No.1 selection.

Essendon appears to be leaning towards Victorian Lachlan Hansen with the next selection, and the Kangaroos, with pick No.3, have two young ruckmen in David Hale and Hamish McIntosh.

Should Brisbane Lions pass up Leuenberger, Port Adelaide (No.5) or Hawthorn (N. 6) will take him.

Leading player manager Liam Pickering said Leuenberger could be the biggest steal in draft history.

"If he goes to five or six, he'll be the best fifth or sixth pick we've seen for a long time but it's just the way it's unfolded," Pickering said.

"If Carlton had picks one and two this year, I'm sure they'd take him.

"I still think he's as good a big man as I've seen in the draft and he was the best ruckman in the under-18 carnival. I just think he's an outstanding prospect."

Leuenberger's father migrated from Switzerland back in 1986.

The Leuenbergers settled in Perth, opened a French restaurant a drop punt from Subiaco Oval, and dad Jean-Francois ensured he and son Matthew made the short trek to watch visiting AFL teams train when possible.

"Dad would try and free up time in the afternoon because games were generally played on Sundays then, so the visiting club would train on Saturday so we'd watch them run around and get signatures," he said.

"I go for Carlton because they were the first ones I watched train back in 1995, and I spoke to a few of their players like Stephen Kernahan and Greg Williams and they seemed pretty nice."

Leuenberger almost slipped through the net a couple of years ago, when he was in line to join West Australian pair Cox and Aaron Sandilands, who entered the system via the rookie draft.

But he was spotted by Western Australia's under-16 coach playing for Hale School in Year 11, and an invitation to train with the state side was promptly followed by his inclusion in the East Perth Colts.

"I always wanted to play AFL but before I made the state side I never knew about the process of getting there, so I hadn't given AFL much consideration. I was playing for fun with my school mates," Leuenberger said.

As a result he does not regard himself as a "footy head".

"I wouldn't change anything at all. I'm happy with the way it's panned out," he said.

Leuenberger played six senior games in the Western Australian Football League after the national under-18 carnival last season, and averaged almost 15 hitouts.

He then won the Mel Whinnen medal as best-on-ground in the colts grand final at Subiaco before further impressing at the draft camp in Canberra.

Carlton, Essendon, the Kangaroos, Port Adelaide, the Lions, Hawthorn, Geelong and St Kilda have spoken to the athletic ruckman and, with West Coast and Fremantle enjoying stellar seasons, an interstate move is highly likely.

Paul Peos, East Perth coach in the latter part of this year, said Leuenberger was a similar player to Cox and had no doubt he would become a star.

"I wouldn't expect him to play every game next year, but he's developed enough to have some influence and he's the sort of guy that won't let the expectations get to him," the former West Coast and Brisbane player said.

"I was assistant coach when Dean Cox came through at East Perth and they're similarly sized and skilled, although Matt's a little more athletic than Dean was at the same time.

"He's a young man that they can really build their side around in the future with his ability to get first hands to the ball."

leuenbergerbj3.jpg

High hopes or tall order

High hopes or tall order?

Matthew Leuenberger expected to finish his first senior game with more questions than answers, thinking more about what would come next. Instead, he stopped wondering. "I thought I held my own," the young ruckman said. "I felt a bit more calm after that. It felt like I could start to compare myself against other guys who had played senior footy at my age.

"I had a better idea of how I was going, so I didn't feel so stressed. It might have been a bit different if I'd played really badly, but I just tried to let it happen, from there."

Leuenberger played six games for East Perth in the last part of last season and, by the end of them, had established himself at the very top end of a draft pool considered so promising clubs will happily pick up to six or seven players next Saturday.

Everyone agrees: he is quick, and nimble. He's already 203 centimetres and so, in contrast with the likes of last year's No. 7 pick Paddy Ryder, clubs won't have to cross their fingers and hope he grows.

He's flexible enough to scoop the low ball, his ruck skills are sound, he can cover the ground, and kick. Unlike many gangly, teenage ruck prospects, he has a bit of co-ordination, too. What's not known is how high he will be chosen.

Plenty of clubs would pick Leuenberger with the No. 1 choice, but he may slip to pick five or six, depending, partly, on whether clubs decide that, while he's good, they already have a couple of ruckmen in the works.

Which raises the question: while clubs like to say they pick the next best player available at each of their selections, does this approach become more complicated when you're talking about a ruckman?

David Hale and Hamish McIntosh were both chosen inside the top 10 by the Kangaroos, in 2001 and 2002, while Essendon invested the No. 10 pick in Jason Laycock, and Adelaide chose John Meesen at No. 8 two years ago, with Brisbane's Cameron Wood a late first-round choice. In that time, Fremantle has got Aaron Sandilands up off its rookie list. Mark Jamar has come off the Melbourne rookie list, and done OK. The Crows got Ivan Maric in 2004 too, at No. 40, and he has made it to senior level more swiftly. In other words, some of the first-rounders are fine, but you can still find decent ruckmen in less-expensive places.

Western Bulldogs recruiting manager Scott Clayton said drafting a ruckman early was tricky. "Most of them are skinny kids who are going to have to play in a collision position," he said. "They take so long to develop. They might never get the body to do what you got them for."

leuenbergeror2.jpg

Carlton weighs up tall order

Carlton weighs up tall order

* Chip Le Grand
* October 28, 2006

ON a hot January day in Perth this year, Dean Cox gave Matthew Leuenberger a valuable football lesson.
Leuenberger was 17 years old and yet to come to prominence as the most talented teenage ruckman in the country.

Cox, the previous year's All-Australian ruckman, had just announced himself as the best tap-man in the business. For 20 minutes, Leuenberger tried to keep up with Cox across the hard, dry expanses of Subiaco Oval. And for 20 minutes, he failed.

"I got to play a 20-minute practice game on him and I didn't stop running once," Leuenberger said yesterday.

"I had to chase him the whole time. It took me by surprise. I tried to take that back to my game but I have still got a long way to go to get to where he was then."

In this year's finals series, Cox gave another timely lesson; one not lost on Carlton's recruiting staff as they consider whether to use their prized No.1 pick in next month's national draft on Leuenberger.

In two finals against Sydney, Cox amassed 74 hit-outs. In one final against Adelaide, he recorded 27 disposals. If not for the brilliance of Andrew Embley he would have left the MCG on grand final day with both a Norm Smith and premiership medal around his neck.

If Cox and Fremantle's Aaron Sandilands did not cause a shift in thinking towards ruckmen in the modern game this season, they certainly confirmed what some clubs already knew: dominant ruckmen are critical ingredients in premiership success.

"If you look at (Dean) Brogan and (Brendon) Lade in 2004, Jason Ball's influence in 2005 and Cox this year, the last three years have emphasised the need for quality ruckmen," Hawthorn personnel manager Chris Pelchen said. "Hence Matthew Leuenberger is being spoken about in glowing terms." And Pelchen will pinch himself if he lands Leuenberger at No.6.

Within the Leuenberger household in Perth, the growing buzz about the biggest kid in the draft has created mixed feelings.

He grew up supporting Carlton, his favourite players were Stephen Kernahan and Craig Bradley and a part of him would love to play his AFL career in navy blue.

Another part appreciates the intense pressure that goes with being the first picked among equals in any national draft - especially one that includes the likes of star Glenelg midfielder Bryce Gibbs and fellow West Australian key forward Scott Gumbleton.

"I haven't spoken to Bryce but when I speak to Gumby and a few of the other guys, no-one wants to go that high," he said. "The lower you go the less pressure you are going to get."

His mother Cathy shares this view. The Leuenbergers have no history of elite sport in their family and are counting down to draft day with a mixture of excitement and anxiety.

"Just say, hypothetically, he goes No.1," Cathy said. "By nature, ruckmen are not really developed to play in the first year but the average supporter expects a No.1 pick to play.

"That is the sort of pressure he wouldn't want. I don't think a lot of kids want that. Being No.1 brings a moment of joy and a whole lot of heartache."

Given Matthew was last measured at 203cm, you might expect the Leuenbergers to be a family of giants. Instead, Cathy Leuenberger is of average height and her husband Francois, a Swiss-born chef, stands at a tall but hardly imposing 187cm.

The remarkable thing is that unlike Cox and Sandilands at a similar age, Leuenberger moves with the grace and assuredness of an average-sized athlete. Before he emerged as a footballer, he excelled at athletics and basketball. His favourite sportsman was Michael Jordan and his pet event the high jump.

"He has never been lanky or gangly," Cathy Leuenberger said.

Leuenberger's combination of height, speed and ground-level skills has prompted comparisons with Cox and Collingwood's Josh Fraser, the last ruckman taken at No.1 in the national draft.

In recruiting terms, it also makes him an extraordinarily rare commodity; something Carlton's recruiter Wayne Hughes is having to weigh against the unquestioned midfield talents of Gibbs.

Given his experience at Subiaco in January, Leuenberger is humbled by any comparison with Cox. But in terms of how Leuenberger would like to play, both Fraser and Cox are good guides.

"I like the way a ruckman plays when he can get the footy a lot and play like an extra midfielder, like Cox and Fraser," Leuenberger said.

"Sandilands had a few games this year where he started to get high numbers with the footy but his main asset is just smashing the ball clear of the contest so players can run on to it. As a position, talk about rucking has progressed a lot just because of those two guys."

For now, Leuenberger's challenge is to keep his feet on the ground until November 25, the day of the national draft. Unlike most of this year's draftees, Leuenberger completed high school last year and doesn't have university studies to worry about.

The club recruiters and player managers have stopped calling for a while but he knows the phone will start ringing again as the draft draws near.

"I feel as though I have done everything I possibly can," he said. "I will probably meet a few more club officials and recruiting managers but there is not much more I can do. It has played on my mind lately; trying to figure out what club you will be at and where you will end up."

It is doubtful even Carlton knows the answer just yet. But rarely has a young ruckman stood so tall.

Link

Missed by that much

MOVING to Brisbane will mean big changes in the life of the Lions' new young ruckman Matthew Leuenberger but will also require some alterations to the bedroom of his parents' home in Perth. For not only is (make that was) he a Carlton fan but his walls are covered in photos of all his Blues heroes, in particular Anthony Koutoufides. And what wasn't lost on the Carlton hierarchy on Saturday was that had the old draft rules existed, they would have had third pick and would almost certainly have drafted him.

leuenbergerqp0.jpg

Lions land Leuenberger

Lions land Leuenberger
2:45:21 PM Sat 25 November, 2006
Jason Phelan
Sportal for afl.com.au

Brisbane added five brand-new Lion cubs to its pride at the NAB AFL National Draft on Saturday and football manager Graeme Allan was excited by the potential of the group headed by boom ruck prospect Matthew Leuenberger.

At just 18 years of age, the young Western Australian has already drawn comparisons to All-Australian ruckman Dean Cox and Allan said the Lions did not hesitate when he was still available at the fourth overall selection.

"We're really happy with how the draft went. Young Leuenberger is an outstanding ruckman and we rated him in the top-two picks in the draft, so we thought he was a great selection," Allan said from Telstra Dome at the conclusion of the draft.

"We've got an outstanding ruckman, we think we've got a couple of midfielders, we've got a tall defender, a couple of running backmen and we've got a bit of height - we're very happy with the draft."

For his part, Leuenberger was delighted to be heading to Queensland to make a start on what he hopes will be a long AFL career.

"I feel fantastic, it’s been a long year, waiting to see where you will go in the draft and just hearing your name called out is such a relief," he said.

"Brisbane is such a great club to go to, I didn’t really think about being the first ruckman taken, but pick four is obviously pretty high so I will have to do something.

"They've already got two good ruckmen with Jamie Charman and Cameron Wood, who is developing, so it will be great to work those boys and learn a lot from that.

"The flights home are going to be long, I'll just rack up the frequent flyer points."

The national draft invariably throws up some surprises with countless variables making it almost impossible to predict and Allan felt Lady Luck had smiled on the Lions this time around with some highly-rated youngsters falling to them after the first round.

"This time last year Albert Proud would have been a top-four pick, but he's just had a few injuries this year," he said of the second round selection.

"But medically he's fine now and we think he's going to be an outstanding player.

"Likewise with young Chris Schmidt, we didn't think he'd get through to our third pick and we're really happy to have him. He's 188 centimetres, a really smart, intelligent runner who's a good user of the ball.

"Same with James Hawksley out of Perth, he's another 180-odd centimetre player, a good running player and a smart user."

The additions of North Ballarat tall defender Matthew Tyler and midfielder Sam Sheldon - the son of Carlton legend Ken - rounded out the club's draft day. Allan said the selection of Sheldon - who had been under consideration by the Blues as a father-son selection - was picked up with an eye on the future.

"Young Sheldon is a bottom-age player who's very smart and is a good footballer," he said.

"Our thinking is next year he could have been a first round selection, so you get a young age lad down at the end and we think it's a great selection."

2ptpa80.jpg

'Berger with the lot

'Berger with the lot
1:27:12 PM Thu 7 December, 2006
lions.com.au

Matthew Leuenberger has all the ingredients to become a future star for the Brisbane Lions – height, flexibility, skill, speed, mobility and a smart football brain. He is widely considered a once-in-a-generation player and the Lions were thrilled to secure him with their first round selection (fourth overall) at the 2006 AFL National Draft.

The East Perth ruckman arrived in Brisbane earlier this week to commence what many are predicting will be an exceptional football career.

“Since I arrived here four days ago, there has been a really good atmosphere here at the Club. They are all a great bunch of guys,” Leuenberger said. “I’m already starting to learn a few things from (Jamie Charman) which is good.”

Together with Charman, Cameron Wood and Beau McDonald, Leuenberger will be part of the Lions young ruck brigade. But first, he is focusing on completing a full pre-season and staying injury free.

“I’m going to have to improve my endurance a fair bit and I also need to get much stronger,” he said.

Leuenberger took an interest in AFL from an early age, often taking a short stroll to the nearby Subiaco Oval with his father to watch visiting AFL teams train.

“Playing AFL footy has been a dream of mine since I was a young fella so I’m really happy to now be given the opportunity to play,” he said.

He was drafted from East Perth, where he dominated the ruck for the Colts and also provided a useful presence up forward. His form for the Colts warranted his elevation in the WAFL East Perth senior side where he played a total of 6 matches averaging almost 20 hit outs per match.

He represented Western Australia in Under 18 Championships and was selected as the All Australian ruckman

Leuenberger capped off a successful season when he was awarded the Mel Whinnen Medal as the best-on-ground for the Colts in their grand final at Subiaco.

As one of the country’s top prospects, Leuenberger was invited to attend the annual AFL Draft Camp in Canberra where he showcased his skill, mobility and agility. For a 203cm ruckman, he showed a fantastic burst of speed with a 20 metre sprint time of 3.02 seconds.

Leading player manager Liam Pickering was in awe of what he had seen in the young ruckman.

“If Carlton had picks one and two this year, I’m sure they’d take him,” Pickering said. “I still think he’s as good a big man as I have seen in the draft and he was the best ruckman in the under-18 carnival. I just think he’s an outstanding prospect.”

East Perth coach and former Brisbane Bears player Paul Peos similarly believes that Leuenberger has all the tools to eventually be one of the league’s premiere ruckmen.

“I was assistant coach when Dean Cox came through at East Perth and they’re similarly sized and skilled, although Matt’s a little more athletic than Dean was at the same time,” Peos said. “He’s a young man that (the Brisbane Lions) can really build their side around in the future with his ability to get first hands to the ball”.

“I wouldn’t expect him to play every game next year, but he’s developed enough to have some influence and he’s the sort of guy that won’t let the expectations get to him,” Peos said.

A modern-style ruckman, Leuenberger prides himself on being able to move with the poise and agility of an average-sized midfielder. “I like the way a ruckman plays when he can get a lot of the footy and play like an extra midfielder, like Cox and Fraser,” Leuenberger said.

Much of his athleticism and mobility can be attributed to his athletics and basketball background in which he excelled throughout his junior years.

leuenbergerql2.jpg

Berger with the lot

Berger with the lot

By Rebecca Williams
October 06, 2006

MATTHEW Leuenberger has been described as Dean Cox-like, and he is regarded as one of the best ruck prospects to come through the draft in years.

The West Australian ruckman Leuenberger has emerged as the No.1 big man among the crop of this year's AFL hopefuls, with the 202cm giant enhancing his reputation at the draft camp in Canberra.

The 18 year old's qualities are obvious. He boasts impressive mobility for his height, yesterday showing off his running ability during sprint testing.

He has already played senior football for East Perth in the Western Australian Football League and he won All-Australian honours at under-18 level this year.

"He would be one of the best I have seen in the last five years, I reckon," Melbourne list and recruiting manager Craig Cameron said.

"He's a bit Dean Cox-like. That's a bit unfair because he (Cox) is a star, but he's got those same attributes.

"I'm not sure who the last ruckman was to go No. 1, I'm not sure that he'll go No. 1, but he'd be up around the mark in the top five, for sure."

Carlton recruiting manager Wayne Hughes agreed it was hard to fault the big man.

"I actually saw his first senior game this year at East Perth and he was outstanding," Hughes said.

"He went back to the colts in the finals series and that's difficult to do, to readjust to that level, and he basically carried his team through the preliminary final to get them in the grand final and then won the medal on grand final day.

"You can't do much more than that. He's outstanding."

Leuenberger, however, said he had tried not to pay too much attention to talk of his draft prospects.

"I just try not to think about it all. I just try to go out there and play footy and do the training and still have fun," the AIS/AFL Academy graduate said.

"It's sort of only sunk in probably in the last two weeks seeing my name in the media a little bit.

"I'm pretty lucky because it did not affect me or my footy because I only found out after the footy season that it looked like I would be going relatively high. It hasn't really affected me too much."

Leuenberger, who overcame osteitis pubis early in the season, said he had accepted he would be moving interstate to begin his AFL career.

"You know that you won't be living in your home state any more," he said.

"It will probably take me a few months to settle in and then it will be fine."

Leuenberger rated Cox and Collingwood ruckman Josh Fraser as his AFL role models.

"To be anywhere near as good as they are, I would be pretty happy."

Shifter's top 30

Matthew Leuenberger
WA, 07-Jun-88, East Perth, Ruckman, 203.2, 92.9
Exciting prospect with the height, agility and mobility to play on ball. Excels with his work at stoppages and can push forward and kick goals. Debuted in the WAFL this year playing six matches, and won All-Australian U18 honours. AIS/AFL Academy Graduate. Tallest player attending the NAB AFL Draft Camp measuring in at 203.2cm. Showed fantastic speed for such a tall player with a 20m sprint time of 3.02sec.

At draft camp Leuenberger was the tallest and the 6th heaviest

Height
Matthew Leuenberger - 203.2cm
Sean Hampson - 200.8cm
Kurt Tippett - 200.6cm
Daniel Currie - 200.4cm
Brent Renouf - 200.3cm
Scott Gumbleton - 197.1cm
Lachlan Hansen - 196.7cm
Ben Reid - 196.4cm
Jesse White - 196.3cm
Eric McKenzie - 195.8cm

Mass (Weight)
Jesse White - 101.4kg
Justin Hardy - 97.3kg
Kurt Tippett - 95.9kg
Chris Dawes - 95.6kg
Sean Hampson - 93.1kg
Matthew Leuenberger - 92.9kg
Scott Gumbleton - 92.8kg
Brent Renouf - 92.5kg
Robert Tarrant - 91.9kg
Alex Lee - 91.8kg

Link

"What Brent (Renouf) brings to the club is a player who can run 10.27 (minutes) for 3km, which puts him in the elite category for a player of 200cm," Pelchen said.
"To give you an example, Matthew Leuenberger runs 12.45. He also has a 93cm vertical leap, which is 11cm higher than Matthew Leuenberger jumps. Matthew has got genuine football talent, but this guy has got genuine athletic ability. I think his ability is untapped."

leuenbergerxr6.jpg

leuenbergerjp3.jpg

leuenbergertr0.jpg

At draft camp

leuenbergergo4.jpg

leuenbergerjh8.jpg

Article

Brisbane added five brand-new Lion cubs to its pride at the NAB AFL National Draft on Saturday and football manager Graeme Allan was excited by the potential of the group headed by boom ruck prospect Matthew Leuenberger.

At just 18 years of age, the young Western Australian has already drawn comparisons to All-Australian ruckman Dean Cox and Allan said the Lions did not hesitate when he was still available at the fourth overall selection.

"We're really happy with how the draft went. Young Leuenberger is an outstanding ruckman and we rated him in the top-two picks in the draft, so we thought he was a great selection," Allan said from Telstra Dome at the conclusion of the draft.

"We've got an outstanding ruckman, we think we've got a couple of midfielders, we've got a tall defender, a couple of running backmen and we've got a bit of height - we're very happy with the draft."

For his part, Leuenberger was delighted to be heading to Queensland to make a start on what he hopes will be a long AFL career.

"I feel fantastic, it’s been a long year, waiting to see where you will go in the draft and just hearing your name called out is such a relief," he said.

"Brisbane is such a great club to go to, I didn’t really think about being the first ruckman taken, but pick four is obviously pretty high so I will have to do something.

"They've already got two good ruckmen with Jamie Charman and Cameron Wood, who is developing, so it will be great to work those boys and learn a lot from that.

"The flights home are going to be long, I'll just rack up the frequent flyer points."

leuenbergerqq5.jpg

Bryce Gibbs, Mitchell Thorp, Scott Gumbleton, Matthew Leuenberger, Lachlan Hansen, Brent Renouf

BigFooty profile

Ruck

7/6/88
203ms and 89 kgs
East Perth

Giant youngster who is a legitimate ruck size. Is a natural ruckman who has a good leap and understands how to play the position very well for his age. Extremely mobile for his height and overall not to skinny for his age. Don’t envisage any problems with putting on weight and taking an eternity to be ready for AFL.
Dominates in the WAFL colts and beats just about everybody there (including Pat Ryder). Had a good U18s Championships but did not dominate. Improved after that in the WAFL and basically improves each game he plays.
Quite a good mark and really does involve himself in the game and has some presence around the ground and really is a commanding figure out on the field. Decent at ground level and is not lost when the ball hits the ground and more importantly has the work rate and desire to actually compete for the ball on the ground.
The reason for the rapid improvement is that he was playing basketball and only just devoted all his time to football in the last year. So I would expect a pretty large improvement in him this year.
Will be interesting to see how he goes up against Sellar in the U18s this year to judge both of them.

Tall, athletic and a big leap. Smart with what he does and wont take 5 years to be AFL ready. Can win the clearances from his own taps and adept at feeding out a handball. But its his ruckwork which really impresses and at 203cms (updated according to the AIS updated figure) he will dominate tap outs at the centre bounce in the AFL with his leap. Good with both hands and showed he could thump the ball forward (Clark Keating style) or palm then down (Everitt style) depending on what was needed. Good with both hands and can take off on either foot. Good at holding his own in the boundary throw ins and is much more advanced in his around the ground work than a 17 year old should be.
Plays like a 3rd year AFL ruckman at this early stage and has been mentioned with only just devoting himself full time to AFL and not Basketball he should continue to develop at a rapid rate.

TOA's Phantom Draft

Pick 4 – BRIS – Matthew LEUENBURGER (7/06/88) – 202cm/92kgs
Bottom-age athletic ruck who has really firmed in his standing this year after being rated roughly as a first rounder this time last year. Compared to Dean Cox because of his combination of height and athleticism, he is a rare bread of player. His ability to find the ball around the ground like a midfielder as Cox does is unproven but he has that potential. Impressive 20m sprint at the DC (3.02) and 12.8beep. Was interviewed by Carl, Ess, Brisbane, Geelong and St Kilda at the DC. Believed the Blues were tossing up between he and Gibbs at #1, and the Bombers are reportedly keen as well. The Roos probably won’t be in the market for a young ruckman (with Hale, McIntosh, Moran) which will leave the talented Leuenberger for the Lions are 4. If not taken now, he will be probably be taken by Port and almost certainly taken by Hawthorn if he gets that far. Brisbane has also shown an interest in Mitch Thorp and Gumbleton with Leigh Matthews having one-on-one interviews with both during and since the DC. Don’t rule out David Armitage who has been linked to the Lions at this selection.

Weaver's Phantom Draft

5. Matthew Leuenberger (Port Adelaide). Port pair Lade and Brogan are both 28+. By the time Leuenberger is 22 he will be ready to replace them as a genuine number 1 ruckmen in a team in which the ruckman plays an important role. He is tall, quick and agile with good skills and the ability to dominate games. His ruckwork is well developed for his age – he generally palms to advantage. Can be a bit hesitant to always throw himself at his opponent. Probably second only to Gibbs in terms on long-term potential – but ruckmen are always a gamble and long-term investment. Is the most likely candidate to be a spanner in the works and could go as high as 1.

Macca69's Phantom Draft

6. Hawthorn – Matthew Leuenberger
Hawks will be licking their lips if Leuenberger drops this far. Very promising Ruck prospect that will be exactly what Hawthorn will be after. Very mobile and quick for his size, also has very good skills for someone of 200+cms. His ruckwork is very good, especially considering he’s a recent basketball convert. Absolute steal at #6, given he wasn’t far off going at #1. Given the way Cox has revolutionized the ruck position, clubs will be on the lookout for a Cox protégé, and Hawthorn may well acquire one in Leuenberger, although he’ll have a ********load of development before he reaches Cox’s standard, he’s got all the right attributes.

Racing and Sports

Pick 2 Essendon

Matthew Leuenberger
WA, East Perth, Ruckman, 203.2cms, 92.9kgs D.O.B 07-Jun-88

The fast moving, agile ruckman has been turning more than a few heads recently. With several best on ground performances in the Colts league (the Grand Final among them) as well as holding his own while playing in the WAFL, Leuenberger has shot up the rankings in recent times. It is the agility he has at his size that is turning heads. He should become the rare type of ruckman to dominate the ruck as well as become an additional midfielder. While Sheedy normally likes to play mind games he seems to have mentioned the Leuenberger name too often recently.

AFL Comparison:
Dean Cox comes to mind but Matthew is far ahead of Cox at the same age

Article

Matthew Leuenberger, who the Lions took at selection four in the national draft, already has stunned club officials.
Leuenberger, who is more than 203cm and 93kg, clocked a sizzling 2.83secs for a 20 metre speed test.
"Matthew was second fastest in the speed testing. That's freakish for someone over 200cm. It is a great sign of his athletic ability," the Lions coach said.
"But he's only 18 and needs to strengthen up. We believe he is a terrific prospect for the club."
If Leuenberger is regarded as a stong chance to play some senior football in his debvut season but his presence alone placxes pressure on the existing ruckmen Jamie Charman, Beau McDOnald and Cameron Wood.

Link

GET EXCITED ABOUT: MATTHEW LEUENBERGER
If you’re a Brisbane supporter, you want to get excited about this lad. Remember the name Matthew Leuenberger, because you’re going to see a lot of him in the future. Okay, to be fair, his last name will take a while to grip, but you’ll have it down to a tee once you see him play a couple of times.

Standing at 203 centimeters tall, Leuenberger was recruited from East Perth in WA and is unequivocally the Lions’ best draftee from 2006. His former WAFL club coach Paul Peos has compared him to West Coast ruckman Dean Cox and has no doubt he will become a star.

The man mountain, touted as the finest ruck draft selection since Josh Fraser in 1999, has an incredible athletic ability many players even close to his height can’t boast. Last December, Leuenberger ran an astonishing second at the club in a 20-metre speed test.

While the 18-year-old still has to extensively strengthen his upper body, he will apply pressure on Cameron Wood and Beau McDonald this year as Brisbane’s back-up ruckman to Jamie Charman.

leuenbergerbc0.jpg

Article

Young ruckman Matthew Leuenberger, the Brisbane Lions' first selection in the 2006 NAB AFL Draft, will wear the No.23 guernsey in 2007, a number made famous by club icon and triple premiership player Justin Leppitsch.

Leuenberger wore No.23 when representing Western Australia in this year's NAB AFL under 18 championships while Leppitsch, who retired at the end of the 2006 season and is now an assistant coach at the Lions, wore the number with distinction in 227 matches.

Interestingly, Leuenberger and Leppitsch were both first round draft selections - and taken at No.4 - in their respective draft years. Leppitsch was claimed in 1992.

Hes more than 89 kilos now.

The BigFooty profile would have been done about 9 months ago, and he's listed at 92.9kgs now. That surprises me a little because he looks fairly lanky, like a long distance runner, so maybe he has a high % of lean muscle (is that fast twitch fibres Warwick?) which might make him heavier than he looks. As a comparison Cameron Wood started out at 88kgs. Leuey still needs to add bulk, so if he's put on 4kgs in the last year or so that is a good sign that he will be able to do that.

The other interesting thing is how much more he grows. Already at 203.2 cm and with a big leap he is quite a prospect, but if he grew another 3 or 4 cms that might enhance his potential even further.

leuenbergergz9.jpg

Article

New recruit wants action

Andrew Hamilton
February 06, 2007 11:00pm

Article from:

ARRIVING as an unproven 18-year old at a club that already has two premiership ruckmen and another apprentice waiting in the wings is a tall order – even for a 203cm All-Australian junior.
But giant West Aussie Matthew Leuenberger never gave the battle he'll face for a game a second thought when he was drafted at No. 4 by Brisbane with its top pick in last year's national draft. Nor did he flinch once at the prospect of having to leave home and traverse the country to pursue his AFL career.
His only concern was would anybody in Brisbane, other than his new teammates, know anything about footy.
"Brisbane isn't the same as Perth or Melbourne, but there's a lot more footy people here than I'd imagined which makes it easier," he said.
"I thought it would be all rugby league, it's better than I expected."
The fact is Leuenberger would have gone anywhere to play AFL – it has been his dream since he was five years old.
And humble as he may be, he'd have known there was no way he was going to West Coast and Fremantle, who finished the season in first and third positions and didn't qualify for a pick until No. 16.
The one area Brisbane is well stocked in is ruckmen, but when asked about the queue ahead of him that includes Jamie Charman, Beau McDonald and the emerging Cameron Wood, his response would have thrilled coach Leigh Matthews.
"What will happen is we'll all get better because there's competition," he said.
Leuenberger has been compared with West Coast's Dean Cox, the prototype of the modern mobile ruckman, and has also proved he can float forward and kick goals.
He has stunned the LIons coaching staff with his speed and endurance over the pre-season and the whispers are growing that he'll taste senior action in his first year, a rarity for ruckmen. But after a history of osteitis pubis, Leuenberger is more worried about building his fitness.

Now the big question...if Charman, Beau & Wood all stay uninjured and in reasonable form, will the 'berger get a game in 2007? (or 2008 for that matter)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now the big question...if Charman, Beau & Wood all stay uninjured and in reasonable form, will the 'berger get a game in 2007? (or 2008 for that matter)

Jamie has shown enormous potential that he could fill a key forward role (think back to Rnd 16 v Hawthorn).

With Leuenberger's athleticism, I'd suggest he may be capable of the same.

Injuries hamper Lions

Andrew Hamilton February 21, 2007 11:00pm

Article from:

BRISBANE will be without the services of two key big men with back injuries forcing Daniel Bradshaw and Matthew Leuenberger out of Saturday night's NAB Cup opener in Cairns.
The Lions had hoped to get a first-up look at gun draftee Leuenberger against St Kilda.
The 18-year-old ruckman cut a forlorn figure as he watched training last night, knowing he would have been guaranteed plenty of game time against the Saints had he not injured his back just days before his scheduled debut.
The Lions planned to take three ruckmen north and rotate them through the forward line to cover the absence of Jonathan Brown, who isn't scheduled to return until the third week of the pre-season tournament, and Bradshaw.
The Lions' leading goalkicker last season trained away from the main group with strength coach Alex Moore last night and will be another week off.
Leuenberger earned high praise from Lions coach Leigh Matthews after last week's intra-club scratch match, but he pulled up sore from his first major competitive hit-out and was unable to train.
"We'd hoped to have him, but I'm told he's just not going to be ready," Matthews said.
The West Australian ruckman, taken at pick No. 4 in the national draft, was set to spend major game time on the ball while No. 1 ruckman Jamie Charman was at full-forward.
The Lions won't be undersized with premiership ruckman Beau McDonald, who missed the intra-club game and was expected to have a delayed start to his season, forcing his way into the side with a strong session on the track.
McDonald will share the ruck duties with Cameron Wood allowing Matthews to stick to his plan of using Charman as a marking target.
Jared Brennan, another who missed last week's hit-out, and highly rated young defender Jed Adcock will also play.
Adcock was kneed in the back last Friday, but proved his fitness in a 30-minute scratch match last night.
Brennan, recovering from shoulder surgery, also took part in the competitive work and could provide the Lions with another marking option.
Although Leuenberger is out, Lions fans could get a chance to see fellow draftee Matthew Tyler and rookie Haydn Kiel.
The Saints are expected to be without veteran Brett Voss who sprained his ankle in training this week

Article

Matthew Leuenberger (No. 23): the 203cm mobile big man is a product of East Perth, the club that produced two of the best Western Australians to ever ruck in the VFL/AFL - Geelong legend Graham 'Polly' Farmer and current West Coast star Dean Cox. The 18-year-old, taken at No. 4 in last year's national draft, has already caught the eye in his short time at the Gabba, recording the second quickest 20m sprint in pre-season training (behind only noted speedster Scott Harding) and impressing in the forward line in last Friday's Coorparoo intra-club match. In additon to marking well that evening, Leuenberger pitted his skills in the ruck against emerging 2004 draftee Cameron Wood.

G'day fellas,
Just want to know a few details on Leuenberger for my SuperCoach side:
a) When do you first expect him to play?
b) How many games do you expect him to play?
c) How much game time (%) do you expect him to play?

Cheers
Best of luck for the weekend
G'day mate, I don't think Berger will play alot of games this season. I expect (and hope for) 3 games. :cool:

G'day mate, I don't think Berger will play alot of games this season. I expect (and hope for) 3 games. :cool:
Can Beau, Charman and Wood fit into the one team? That is one forward, one in the ruck and one on the bench? Or will Wood and Beau be fighting for the second position? If Brown, Bradshaw and Clark are all fit, will we, more often than not, have two ruckmen rotating? Either way, I think it'll be tough for Berger to force his way into the side if all the talls are fit. Apologies If I've used too many commas.

I will wait and see how we go with injuries this year before making any calls although I agree BD trading Beau would seem to be the most likely option. If he can stay fit you have to think a few of the teams that are a bit light on for rucks might come calling. We probably might want to have a look at Berger first though as well. Plenty of high prospects have washed out previously especially rucks so we should maybe keep our powder dry for a while. If young Tippett comes on it could also put further pressure on to clear up some room. Wouldn't it be a turn up for the books though if Tippett turned out to be the gun ruck from this draft. You couldn't have gotten a bigger dark horse. I hadn't heard the kid mentioned anywhere and I had done a lot of reading coming into last year's draft.

Currently back in Perth while he sorts out his groin injury

Not a bad idea IMO. Nothing like a bit of support and familiarity to help with the mindset & possibly the healing. Hopefully when he comes back he won't be homesick, but refreshed & ready to go.

No reports on the Berger for a while.

Was interested to note that the Herald Sun's injury list did not have him mentioned.

Is he close to resuming?

Still listed as 2-3 weeks, which I think is the same figure as last week.

Just hope it doesn't hang around like Mitch Clark's case last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back