Traded Matthew Leuenberger (2006-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Leuenberger Den Diary
27 June 2013

I can honestly say that last Sunday was the most amazing win I’ve ever experienced in my time playing footy, and capped off a pretty great week for me personally. Only a few days earlier I’d extended my contract for a further two seasons. I’m loving it up here in Brisbane and had no intentions of leaving, so it was an easy decision to make in the end.

I consider myself a pretty loyal person and would like to think that I could end up playing with the Lions for the rest of my career. But what attracts me most is that I believe the Club’s heading in the right direction, and hopefully the win against Geelong is just a sign of things to come. And it’s hard not to get excited about the future when you look at our young list, which is led by Tom Rockliff, Daniel Rich and Jack Redden, who have been around for a while, but are still only 22-23 years old.

Then there are guys like Sam Mayes, Billy Longer, Sam Docherty, Elliot Yeo, Justin Clarke and others who have shown plenty in just a handful of senior games. But what I can say is that everyone at the Lions is deeply invested in this Club and believes that if we can stay together and continue to work hard, that the rest will begin to fall into place.

The Lions' two best players, Daniel Rich and Matthew Leuenberger, have re-signed.

Brisbane was forced to pay top dollar, but footballers of their ilk crave success over financial security. If they genuinely believed there was no hope, they would have been out the door.

GWS wanted both and neither would have had any trouble finding a new club back home in Western Australia. The fact they stayed is a huge tick for Voss.

Medal shared around
8 July 2013
Sam Lord

The Marcus Ashcroft Medal – awarded the best player in QClashes – has been presented to a different player in each of the previous six meetings between the Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast SUNS.

Matthew Leuenberger became the latest recipient of honour last Saturday night. Leuenberger was selected by an independent panel of experts following his standout performance in the Lions’ 33-point win. The ruckman controlled the centre square with a game-high 29 hitouts and seven clearances, and also managed to collect 20 disposals and lay seven tackles.

It was an all-round performance by the recently re-signed 25-year-old, who was simply happy that his team could come away with the four points. “I think it was a great win,” Leuenberger said. “They were certainly coming at us at three quarter-time, and the game was there for either side to win, I felt.”

Leuenberger_MAM-hero.jpg

Mark Robinson - Things I like

10. Matthew Leuenberger. Forget everyone else, this bloke is the next Dean Cox. Twenty touches, 29 hit outs, seven marks, seven inside 50s and a game-high seven clearances had him close to best afield against the Lions. His re-signing was the most important completed in-season, followed by Rich, and let's hope Pearce Hanley is in for the long haul. Those three with Redden, Rockliff, Mayes, Golby, and Zorko are what the Lions can build on. And another win clearly helps the coach's long-term future.

A full pre-season and Longer becoming a regular in the side next year should see him become even better. Feel like he has to pace himself because he does 80% of ruck work and time up forward. Hope we get to see him at his very best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Article on AFL.com had the top 10 hit outs to advantage for rucks. I would have thought Leuey would have been in there for sure.

I read that article and I think it was based on aggregate instead of average. Therefore, Leuey's injury/missed games would be a factor.

LEUENBERGER ON TOP
Matthew Leuenberger had it all his way in the ruck against Max Gawn. His efficiency gave the Lions a mini-break in the third term and he caused headaches with his marking all around the ground.

Matthew Leuenberger owned the ruck as he generally does when the Lions get a run on. It was his efficient ruck work that helped the Lions to a mini break in the third term.

With Leuenberger dominating the hit outs against Lobbe, I do wonder whether he should employ the bash it forward as far as you can Clark Keating style method more often. With them having an extra man on ball, and us having an extra man in defence, knocking the ball into open space would play to our advantage. The coaches are big on gaining/retaining possession these days, but I think the approach of getting bodies surging towards goal is an undervalued tactic. It's not like we ever win clearances anyway.;)

Annoy how many times he taps it down and a port player grabs it and runs away with no pressure, our mids need to read the taps better. More often than not Bergs brings it down pretty close. We need to work on turning our ruck dominance into midfield advantage over the next 12-18 months. I don't think we get the value from Bergs game at the moment. No point dominating the ruck if the ball is being cleared by the opposition.

I like your once or twice smash it forward suggestion Grim - If clubs are okay with the occasional torp up the guts from full back, I see minimal difference in a possible 50/50 smash forward out of the centre. So why not? As you say, it may even be an improvement on our current odds. :thumbsu:

I like your once or twice smash it forward suggestion Grim - If clubs are okay with the occasional torp up the guts from full back, I see minimal difference in a possible 50/50 smash forward out of the centre. So why not? As you say, it may even be an improvement on our current odds. :thumbsu:

And it might actually bring our half-forwards into the game, their underperformance can't just be related to not having anyone suitable for the position, it has to be that our game plan seems to bypass them.

Saints no pushovers: Leueneberger
31 July 2013
Greg Davis

BRISBANE ruckman Matthew Leuenberger says St Kilda will still be a tall order for the Lions at the Gabba this Saturday night despite the Saints’ winter of discontent. Brisbane will be heavy favourite for the Round 19 match-up, with St Kilda languishing in 16th place on the ladder with just three wins to their name.

But Leuenberger said the Saints deserve the utmost respect and Brisbane would be preparing for Saints stars Nick Riewoldt (foot) and Lenny Hayes (leg) to overcome injuries and play. "They've still got quality players running around out there," he said. "They've been very competitive in the games they've played. They've matched it with top eight sides for about three quarters and just dropped away which has hurt them."

Leuenberger did not train on Wednesday due to hamstring tightness but declared himself a certain starter against the Saints.

An absolute masterclass in tap ruckwork from Leuey. Gave McEvoy a complete hiding as he continually palmed into the hands of his midfielders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back