Traded Matthew Leuenberger (2006-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparantly only 1-2 weeks away according to the injury update. With only 4 more games until the bye I wonder if they'll give him maybe 1-2 games in the ressies and then 1-2 in the seniors before the week off.
Don't think he is an automatic inclusion with the rise of Martin. Can only see him play 25% time in ruck and the 75% forward if he manages to suddenly develop his forward game during his injury time.

A better player than stef. Oh how quickly some can forget. Once fit will play.
Still living in 2011 John? He had been very poor at the start of this season and I see no reason as to why he would be a automatic in. He has no match fitness, and Martin is playing well enough to warrant a spot as the number 1 ruck. Leuey needs to go through the ressies and improve his forward game to have a chance of playing seniors under Leppa. If he is an automatic in then questions will be asked and heads will roll.

Still living in 2011 John? He had been very poor at the start of this season and I see no reason as to why he would be a automatic in. He has no match fitness, and Martin is playing well enough to warrant a spot as the number 1 ruck. Leuey needs to go through the ressies and improve his forward game to have a chance of playing seniors under Leppa. If he is an automatic in then questions will be asked and heads will roll.

This is one of the best posts I have ever read on this forum.

I disagree with a few people here. As long as he is fit enough to play he is an automatic inclusion. We need the burger, he adds so much meat to our midfield.

Top 10 ruckman in the comp even now imo. I know who all ruckman would prefer to play against between Martin and leuy.

I disagree with a few people here. As long as he is fit enough to play he is an automatic inclusion. We need the burger, he adds so much meat to our midfield.

Top 10 ruckman in the comp even now imo. I know who all ruckman would prefer to play against between Martin and leuy.

Agree, would be surprised if he isn't an automatic inclusion.

Earlier in the year, pre-Leuey's injury, I saw a few graphs of varying degrees doing the rounds on various footy shows and publications listing the top 10 ruckmen in the comp and Leuey was not listed in any of them. Of course that doesn't mean anything, but in every one of those 4-5 graphs, I couldn't make a case that Leuey would displace any of the other top 10 ruckmen listed. Personally, I think he is a good ruckman and valuable to our club as he is our no.1 ruckman, but as one or two others have stated; I too agree with their assessment that he is massively overrated by Lions fans in comparison to other rucks in the competition.

Stef was great against the Dogs and adequate against the Giants albeit beaten by Mumford.

In light of that, "the Rise of Stefan Martin" seems to have more than a little sauce on it.

Leuey didn't get going this year before he was injured, but when he does, he is by far our best ruckman. I shudder when I recall that one or two posters wanted us to trade him last year and make Billy Longer our primary ruck... UGH!!!

Stef was great against the Dogs and adequate against the Giants albeit beaten by Mumford.

In light of that, "the Rise of Stefan Martin" seems to have more than a little sauce on it.

Leuey didn't get going this year before he was injured, but when he does, he is by far our best ruckman. I shudder when I recall that one or two posters wanted us to trade him last year and make Billy Longer our primary ruck... UGH!!!

Still makes me shudder also TBD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leuy is listed as a test this week on the AFL site, I would like to see both Steph and Leuy in the side but I am sure that is still a few weeks away.

Brisbane ruckman Matthew Leunberger to return from knee injury via NEAFL

BRISBANE ruckman Matthew Leuenberger is set to return from a knee injury via the Lions reserves this weekend, and could play in the QClash in Round 18. The club’s most talented big man will play in the curtain-raiser to the Kangaroos’ clash at the Gabba on Saturday night. “We’d love to get Leuey back into the senior side as soon as we can but he is a very important player for our footy club, so we don’t want to rush him back before he is ready,’’ Warren said. "We want to get some match conditioning into him in the NEAFL in the next few weeks and make sure he is playing some good footy. We are looking at that first game back after the bye. “Stef Martin has been doing a good job the past weeks so we don’t need to rush Leuey. Hopefully he can come in against the Suns and have a strong finish to the year.’’

Martin’s stellar back-half of the season has eased the pressure on No.1 ruckman Matthew Leuenberger to be rushed back into the seniors. Leuenberger has played a handful of games in the NEAFL in his comeback from a knee injury suffered in the Round 4 loss to Port Adelaide. While his ruck work has been solid, he has struggled to make an impact around the ground and would need another one to two weeks in the reserves to be considered for a call-up. Warren said any senior games for Leuenberger would be a bonus as the focus at the Gabba was to have the giant ruckman fit for the start of pre-season training.

Lions' twin towers to stand tall in Cats clash

BRISBANE ruckman Matthew Leuenberger says he has missed far too much football in his AFL career to knock back the chance to take on Geelong on Saturday night. The Lions big man is also keen to start up the “Twin Towers’’ combination with the in-form Stefan Martin, who inked a new two-year deal with Brisbane on Thursday. Leuenberger is the shock inclusion for Brisbane’s final home-and-away game. The 26-year-old suffered a meniscus tear in his right knee in the Round 4 loss to Port Adelaide and was expected to return for the last two months of the season. But an old Achilles injury flared in his comeback through the NEAFL, sparking fears he would not see the big stage again this year. However, Leuenberger will be front and centre against the finals-bound Cats at Simonds Stadium.

“I was pretty desperate to play because I was over being in rehab. It’s been a frustrating year,’’ Leuenberger told The Courier-Mail. “I’d much prefer to play given how many injuries I’ve had in the past. “I’m not in a position to pick and choose when I play. “To get a game in before the end of the year puts me in a better headspace over the pre-season. “A lot has also changed since I last played with a top-line ruckman running around for us so any chance I can get to develop a combination with Stef, I was always going to jump at that. “I think we can be quite damaging as a duo when we get up and going.’’ Leuenberger said Martin’s second half of the season had been “quite remarkable,’’ with the former Demon emerging as a “genuine midfielder’’ as well as an effective ruckman. He expects to split ruck duties with Martin and will focus on developing his game as a key forward over summer. “I can’t hold down the ruck 80 per cent any more. We’ve got to get Stef in there because he’s so good so I’ll put that work in so I can become more of an option up forward,’’ Leuenberger said.

Jeez, I don't like how he says he can't ruck 80% anymore. I hope is not referring to his physical abilities, but rather the fact we will have two starting ruckman in the team.

Glad he is playing this weekend, I couldn't agree more about him not being in a position to be picking and choosing games. If he is fit enough, he is good enough and should be playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back