Traded Matthew Lobbe [traded to Carlton]

Remove this Banner Ad

good player, not essendons top priority right now from a list perspective.

If Bellchambers goes, we can promote Giles to #1 until we can find and develop our next #1. McKernan battles well and should be played as second ruck/CHF now anyway. Plus, you can swing Daniher in there if needed.

I'd look at a player trade if Port were interested. Not sure who they'd want from our list, but they are known to be fans :D

Its an interesting problem for Ports point of view....

Ryder is our no1 ruck as shown on the weekend and plays better without a second ruckman.
But Lobbe is to good to be a break in case of emergency type ruckman as seen from last year and before when he carried our ruck alone....

Dont know i want to see him sit in the seconds getting 60 hitouts every week like hes doing at the moment.

Plus according to the media we could do with the cap space....

Tough one
Very tough. Cant see them playing together in the same side much next season. Lobbe too good to play SANFL and would he be happy to sit in the two's all year just in case Ryder gets injured or suspended. Id love him at Essendon but we have far more pressing positions to fill and I wouldnt be giving up pick 4 or 5 for him even if he is worth a first rounder. We need that pick for a mid.

Not sure why everyone thinks he'd be perfect for the Dogs.

We need someone more in the Ryder mould than the Lobbe mould.

We've already got a good ruckman that isn't a good fit.

Is his "drop in form" due purely to the arrival of Ryder?

Ie, if he were to somewhere as a sole ruckman, is he going to step straight back into his 2014 form?

Hard to say... But Ryder defiantly hasnt helped.
Lobbe isnt a forward. he can run and almost lead the league in tackles last year. But a marking resting ruckman up forward he isnt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still staggered Port or anybody else thought he'd be around long once Ryder arrived.

If you'd told us we'd be getting Charlie Dixon the following season (obviously nothing is concrete yet but there's no way we'd trade Lobbe if we don't get Dixon), we probably would've thought differently. Dixon removes our need for an extra key forward which means Ryder can play in his natural position full time.

They've signed him until 2019(?), no team would be willing to part with a first rounder for Lobbe, especially with the way he's played this year, and Port wouldn't want to trade away their VC/Second ruck for a late second rounder. Is a serviceable work horse though, similar to McEvoy, but not a lot of teams want a workhorse, they want a bloke who'll win taps.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/teams/allteams/playershi.html#G06

Lobbe has two of the 20 highest hitout tallies in a game in AFL history. He wins taps just fine. His issues are a) marking and b) getting those taps to advantage.

Worth a first round selection.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk
Ratten felt the same way about Mclean after he had played six (or seven) years...

Yet we're supposed to have a firesale for Yarran, Menzel or Henderson who are better footballers.

Crazy talk.
Obviously.

Scott could go for it after his Cats went mad for Clark, Stanley and McIntosh.

Ratten felt the same way about Mclean after he had played six (or seven) years...

Yet we're supposed to have a firesale for Yarran, Menzel or Henderson who are better footballers.

Crazy talk.

Scott could go for it after his Cats went mad for Clark, Stanley and McIntosh.

I'm not sure why you've quoted my posts; are you disagreeing with my rating of Lobbe?

I don't expect Carlton to have a firesale for any of those three and nor should they. I'd value each of those guys as being worth a first round selection. You should squeeze as much value out of them as possible.

McIntosh was a mistake in hindsight but it was a risk worth taking at that point in time. I'm bullish about Stanley despite being a little apprehensive at first. The jury is well and truly still out on Clark.

Last edited:
With Dixon arriving , trade Shultz to Fremantle for their second rounder (36 ?)
Lobbe & 36 for Menzel ?

WTF would we do that for?

Lobbe is easily worth a first rounder, not that it matters, Ken isn't moving him on, he's entrenched in the leadership group.

With Dixon arriving , trade Shultz to Fremantle for their second rounder (36 ?)
Lobbe & 36 for Menzel ?
That is a preposterous suggestion. Lobbe is rated way higher at Port than that. Even though Lobbe and Ryder have huge issues playing together.

Not to mention I'm not sure we get freos second for shultz. Maybe since it will likely be pretty late after compo picks but I hope we get to hold onto shultz. If in the surprising decision we did send lobbe off we could keep shultz even with dixon coming in if that's what both parties wanted.

If mason shaw wants out though (haven't heard any whispers about what he is doing but is uncontracted ) then freos second for shultz and mason might be closer. Leaves port pretty empty for forwards if we take on an injury prone dixon.

As for Menzel , he is talented but has been injury prone and hasn't really established himself in the games he played.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back