List Mgmt. Mature Age Rookie Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The Exers
Mitch Brown from the Cats has just been delisted. Think we could do worse then pick up a former pick 15 who is still only 24 years of age

I wouldnt touch him with a 10 foot pole. Hasnt ever really shown hes up to it at VFL level. Got his chance late in the season and showed exactly why he hasnt been getting a game all these years.

There is a good reason why the cats have drafted Clark and Stanley into the squad and thats because they need support for TommaHawk......and Brown just doesnt cut it.

Would prefer to persist with White

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Brown has had six seasons. If you're still struggling to get a game for a club who needs someone to fill the role you're suited for after that time, you're probably just not up to it.

I'd rather not have this mindset that every other club's castoffs are "diamonds in the rough" that we can somehow extract something from, if we just give them a go. That's the pathway to mediocrity IMO. These players are delisted for a reason. There's not really that many stories of players aged 23-24 and above being outright delisted and going on to success at another club.

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
Depends how you define mature age. Guys that have been passed up in maybe 2 drafts is where I'd rather concentrate. Maybe 21 as a maximum age. We aren't contending for a flag with maybe 1 or 2 list holes. We need to build a finals side and then a flag contending side from there.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I wouldnt touch him with a 10 foot pole. Hasnt ever really shown hes up to it at VFL level. Got his chance late in the season and showed exactly why he hasnt been getting a game all these years.

There is a good reason why the cats have drafted Clark and Stanley into the squad and thats because they need support for TommaHawk......and Brown just doesnt cut it.

Would prefer to persist with White

Was it Brown or Walker that Yagmoor managed to keep quiet at Vic Park?

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
If we get a mature age recruit hopefully they are under 24 years old so that they actually have a long term future if they are good. Although if its an older ruck man similar to hudson then obviously thats a need. We most likely will take an older ruck man but i reckon thats it in terms of mature age players this offseason, rest of the list spots will go to kids

MagpieBat

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Ruby
Jan 22, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL, #TeamBatman
Was it Brown or Walker that Yagmoor managed to keep quiet at Vic Park?

Walker.

Kept him to 1 goal, which is surprising in itself, given how often he dragged Yagmoor back to the goal square 1-out. Was one of Peter's better games...

domin8tors

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Mitch Brown from the Cats has just been delisted. Think we could do worse then pick up a former pick 15 who is still only 24 years of age
I'd consider him. I think that he could have an impact straight away and sometimes a kick in the butt is what someone needs.

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Vardy would have been the one to target at the Cats.

People hype him up, but he's getting to a similar point to Brown for me TBH. He's been there five years, and really done nothing. I know he's had injuries, but another year of little output, and he might be in the firing line too.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The Exers
People hype him up, but he's getting to a similar point to Brown for me TBH. He's been there five years, and really done nothing. I know he's had injuries, but another year of little output, and he might be in the firing line too.

I take your point about Vardy not doing much.....But as you say hes had injuries.

Difference is if he gets his body right he is Geelongs #1 ruckman.
Browns had his body right for 6 years and has struggled at VFL level the whole time.

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I take your point about Vardy not doing much.....But as you say hes had injuries.

Difference is if he gets his body right he is Geelongs #1 ruckman.
Browns had his body right for 6 years and has struggled at VFL level the whole time.

I'm pretty sure Brown has his fair share of injuries too.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Current trends suggest our 2 live rookie selections will be used on at least 1 mature ager in the Dwyer,Martin,Barlow mould. Who are some of the names who have been dominating the lesser leagues?

Being in WA, if we were looking for a back up ruck, ex Melbourne player Paul Johnson seems to clean up every week for East Perth. Any other names I should keep an eye on?

Matthew Panos as an inside mid is one we may look at and have been loosely linked to.

Our own or once our own VFL listed Brett Eddy is the best performed key forward outside the AFL and can play.

Mitch McGovern (brother of the WCE McGovern is a chance).

Chris Cain is another Sam Dwyer in the VFL if that's what we want.

Sam Baulderstone is the better ruckman in the SANFL. Sam Tagliabue in the VFL.

Adam Saad for pace could be given a shot and tested well in the state screenings.

Shane Yarran has some talent.

Haiden Schloithe (ex Freo rookie) is a chance as a mid/fwd.

Zaine Kirkwood, Joel Cross and Steve Summerton in the SANFL can all play.

Nicholas Amato who has been passed on for a few years can play.

--
Then there are a stack of overagers
Daniel Howe, Nathan Drummond, Taylor Grace, Francis Watson, Matt Hanson, Jake Owen, Josh McGuinness, Nick Jackson, Logan Austin, Darcy Cameron.

--
There are others but essentially we probably only take say Panos if available as a rookie, maybe Cain if we're desperate to add more mature agers.
As overagers we may consider Howe in the national draft. Maybe Drummond or Grace late/rookie.
It's possible we take 1-3 mature agers. I can't say I have any idea but I imagine it would depend on the clubs ideas relating to our age profile and their views on the strength of the draft. I imagine the club may look to add further experience to increase the age profile of the list and they're probably not overly optimist about the depth of the draft - other than a few favourites of the club whoever they happen to be, so we probably do take at least one mature agers at some point.

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
Vardy has obvious talent. Whether he will ever realise it is another matter.
Brown is a lot more debatable IMO. I am not sure what he add to our list that we don't already have. Our Brown is better and he's no star himself.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Sammy Dwyer is an absolute champ, jumps out of VFL and in his debut season finishes second for score assists, in a team that was lacking polish going inside 50 his cleanness was very much welcome.

Couldn't get his body right this year, had an interrupted preseason and kept aggravating injuries, when fit he's a very handy player, we need more players with his class.

Love the way he goes about it, may not be best 22, but I wouldn't be ruling him out yet.

I don't have him best 22 but he was best 22 quality in 2013. I'd imagine the likes of Varcoe and Broomhead will push him out.

Bugglz

All Australian
Jun 1, 2011
Hampton
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle United
Yes I realise I am going to get shot down spectacularly here, but would anyone consider Brock McLean? Yes he's had his injury problems and is as slow as molasses but he could provide plenty of grunt around the stoppages and could help fill Luke Balls role until Adams is ready. Still only 28 as well.

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Yes I realise I am going to get shot down spectacularly here, but would anyone consider Brock McLean? Yes he's had his injury problems and is as slow as molasses but he could provide plenty of grunt around the stoppages and could help fill Luke Balls role until Adams is ready. Still only 28 as well.

Adams is ready

And considering we replaced Beams with Greenwood, I wouldn't want to add another bad kick to the midfield. If it was a midfielder that had great skills I'd go for it.

Bugglz

All Australian
Jun 1, 2011
Hampton
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle United
Adams is ready

And considering we replaced Beams with Greenwood, I wouldn't want to add another bad kick to the midfield. If it was a midfielder that had great skills I'd go for it.
He wasn't quite ready this year, hopefully he can take the step up next year but he is yet to prove himself.

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
He wasn't quite ready this year, hopefully he can take the step up next year but he is yet to prove himself.

Adams form pre injure was great. He was better than Ball for the last few games. As for Brock Mclean, as a rookie I don't mind after having a bit of a think about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back