Maxwell the new captain of Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally Posted by skelly12
How so? Since when do I have to praise the Captain, because he's the captain? Disrespectful, pfft what a load of crap! I can express my opinion if I like! Also, how is my opinion uneducated? You don't know the first thing about me! For all you know I could study every facet about maxwells game, attend every match and training session then finally conclude that he's a w***er.

Ok then ... lets hear your educated version and reason so we can then decide if your post was valid

Shouldn't matter. Remember Gavin Brown being replaced by Bucks around 1997 (I think). Major outcry from some quarters but the players just got on with it.

IMO, captaincy is overrated. If Maxwell's form drops off, they'll drop him - captain or not!
This is were you are wrong. Earlier this season Maxwell was out of form, yet was still retained in the side.

Can this club do anything right lately?

First they hike up membership prices despite the fact the economy's going down, and now they choose Nick Maxwell as captain.

He's not even a decent player! To think in the space of two years we went from being led by Buckley to Maxwell ... oh the thought makes me cringe, almost cry.

im backing the powers to be made the best decision
im 100% behind Nick Maxwell!!!
He has earnt his stripes and well and truly deserves the position
I dont buy into this hes not in our best 22 either. He hasnt been dropped his whole career and i reckon hes one of the first players picked week in week out!

we should all support him... side by side we stick together!!!

Can this club do anything right lately?

First they hike up membership prices despite the fact the economy's going down, and now they choose Nick Maxwell as captain.

He's not even a decent player! To think in the space of two years we went from being led by Buckley to Maxwell ... oh the thought makes me cringe, almost cry.

Looks like not only the club cannot do anything right but also the great Nathan Buckley thought back on Oct 8th that Maxwell would be captain.

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2008/10/08/32371_afl.html

Buckley said the departure of retiring Collingwood captain Scott Burns had opened the door for Nick Maxwell to take over as the Magpies' skipper.
"He's not the best player in the side but he's the best leader," Buckley said.

Somebody at the club has lost their marbles. WTF?? Millions of $$$ lost, the Ben Cousins decision and now this!

How the hell can a bloke be made captain who is not even in the teams best/most important player group? The idea of the captain taking the game by the scruff of the neck are over.

Comparison with our 2 biggest rivals club captains -

http://finalsiren.com/PlayerCompare...+lloyd&PlayerName4=&SelectedPlayers=1390,386,

Malthouse needs to see a doctor. I hope I am wrong but man this just sucks.

Somebody at the club has lost their marbles. WTF?? Millions of $$$ lost, the Ben Cousins decision and now this!

How the hell can a bloke be made captain who is not even in the teams best/most important player group? The idea of the captain taking the game by the scruff of the neck are over.

Comparison with our 2 biggest rivals club captains -

http://finalsiren.com/PlayerCompare...+lloyd&PlayerName4=&SelectedPlayers=1390,386,

Malthouse needs to see a doctor. I hope I am wrong but man this just sucks.

Round 10 2007? What did he do in 2008? Maybe he will be captain material in 2010 or beyond but not next year.

Tony Shaw was not our best player when he was captain but he always put his body on the line no matter what - the best dont necessarily have to be captain.

No comment:)

No comment:)

Dont campare Maxwell to Tony Shaw. Shaw may not have been the best but he alaways gave his all and that was a hell of alot more than Maxwell can ever hope to give.

Like I said I hope Im wrong but its a huge gamble especially when we didnt want to roll the dice with Cousins.

Maxwell is not in the league of Burns, Buckley, Brown etc.

Dont campare Maxwell to Tony Shaw. Shaw may not have been the best but he alaways gave his all and that was a hell of alot more than Maxwell can ever hope to give.

Like I said I hope Im wrong but its a huge gamble especially when we didnt want to roll the dice with Cousins.

I am not comparing Maxwell to Shaw

I am comparing that in one line you state
How the hell can a bloke be made captain who is not even in the teams best/most important player group

when you had stated
the best dont necessarily have to be captain.

You find the decision crazy yet you contradict your own statement to validate your point

You find the decision crazy yet you contradict your own statement to validate your point

I said "best/most important player group" meaning that you can be in either or both groups to be considered captain material.

Let me make it simple. I dont think Maxwell (at this stage) is in the best/most important player group at Collingwood. Tony Shaw was not the best but in my opinion was part of the most important player group at Collingwood during his reign as captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In true Collingwood style, the underdog is given the bone. Give it a tilt this year Maxi, I'll be one happy to stand up and applaud him.

Maxwell is not in the league of Burns, Buckley, Brown etc.

I would compare Nick Maxwell directly to Tony Shaw.
They don't fulfill the same on field role, positionally, most definitely but Maxwell and Shaw both have the same persona on field.
Tough, Courageous, Uncompromising, Dogged and Unswervingly Loyal.

In his first couple of games for Collingwood I made the statement that "one day this bloke will Captain Collingwood".
That statement was based on his courage and attack on both the player with the ball and the ball in dispute.

I have been proven correct.....and I am very happy to have been.

If Maxwell is made captain, then we're in big trouble......
There must be a lack of leadership qualities down at the Lexus Centre.

Give it to Pendles or Thomas

Especially if he is made Captain of Geelong???????

What's this we whiteman?

It's interesting to note that Buckley himself considers Maxy the best man for the job - but then again - what would Bucks know about Captaining Collingwood?!

obviously idiots on the forum know better!

nick maxwell has something every leader requires... BALLS!!!
is he the best player in our team???? no chance...
does he inspire the team with his passion and couragious acts??? yes.
does he have a great football brain.. yes
does he command respect.. definately...
will he be a good captain.. my oath.. and all yo "this is bad decision", "he's not in our best 22" will eat your words.......
well done nick shove it up everyones arse when your holding up our 15th cup...

remember people.. SIDE BY SIDE!!

Spartan you said it all.
Collingwood FC made a statement appointing Maxwell.
A statement to the side, we supporters, our knockers and the footy world.

"Courage, loyalty and hard work will be rewarded."

Are you kidding me? What kind of ability does Maxwell have that Goldsack doesn't. I would rather Goldsack play then Maxwell play.

Can't agree there. Goldsack will probably end up the better player, but right now Maxwell is clearly ahead. The latter part of the year, including finals, Maxwell was one of our best. When he plays his game and stops trying to be too physical, and pushed up the ground more, he is quite a damaging player offensively and defensively.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back