May's hit on Rockcliffe

Remove this Banner Ad

Trying to find the outrage threads about Buddy getting pinged 3-4 times for bumps on smaller players.
its taking awhile im afraid it might just come down to the color of the team involved.

I can't understand this sport anymore. May had eyes for the ball and never deviated them from it. He did nothing wrong and will miss three weeks. Joke.

this is probably the most disappointed I've ever been about a suspension
Im quite a fan of May and the way he defends. I hope this doesn't change.

Didn't go past the ball. didn't leave the ground. Didn't raise the arm. Good bump by a taller player on a smaller player.
Just dumb. really dumb.

"Obviously he wasn't intentionally trying to hit me in the head but I think he was definitely trying to take me out of the contest.

"The thing that probably hurt him is that if you slow it down and watch it, he went past the ball.

"We've been over it, when you elect to bump and make contact with the head then that's the risk you're put at."

http://www.3aw.com.au/news/brisbane...n-may-suspended-for-bump-20150506-ggvs62.html

Spot on, May went past the ball and hit him high. Should of saved himself the trouble and not challenged.

"Obviously he wasn't intentionally trying to hit me in the head but I think he was definitely trying to take me out of the contest.

"The thing that probably hurt him is that if you slow it down and watch it, he went past the ball.

"We've been over it, when you elect to bump and make contact with the head then that's the risk you're put at."

http://www.3aw.com.au/news/brisbane...n-may-suspended-for-bump-20150506-ggvs62.html

Spot on, May went past the ball and hit him high. Should of saved himself the trouble and not challenged.

Brisbane fans should be banned from posting in this thread, Terrible opinions on it

Disgusting decision, now players will just have to watch on as the next bloke runs past him and soccers a goal

Could May have reasonably foreseen that his action would result in knocking out his opponent?

Take it to court GC Suns

More than any other decision this is the most significant reinterpretation to our rules

Based on this when Gia famously bumped kosi he would be in jail

Luv kb but he and many others in the media are not thinking at all
The head contact is entirely accidental in this instance
Whilst May had another option the option he took was the most natural

To penalize him harshly is criminal and undermines the game as we know it

His opponent should have expected a bump block - his opponent erred

The ball was in play

Farcical

Could May have reasonably foreseen that his action would result in knocking out his opponent?

Take it to court GC Suns

More than any other decision this is the most significant reinterpretation to our rules

Based on this when Gia famously bumped kosi he would be in jail

Luv kb but he and many others in the media are not thinking at all
The head contact is entirely accidental in this instance
Whilst May had another option the option he took was the most natural

To penalize him harshly is criminal and undermines the game as we know it

His opponent should have expected a bump block - his opponent erred

The ball was in play

Farcical

I feel sorry for Rocky for being unable to play yet another game this season. I feel sorry for May, both because of the unlucky outcome of the contact and the punishment he now has to endure as a result of challenging the initial decision.

The easy answer to the bold though is yes, it was reasonably foreseeable that bumping a player, especially a shorter player, and leading with the arm in that manner may result in the other player sustaining injury. The players have seen decisions of a similar nature and would have been informed about the possible consequences of effecting the 'bump' in such a way.

It's not a question of intent either. IMO, to try and prevent serious concussions and other associated injuries they're trying to get players to adapt their methods of contesting the ball. Its a question of player welfare not some sinister attempt to undermine the game.

I hate that I'm a Brisbane supporter making this post, but my opinion would be the same if it involved a different club or a player from the Lions. It's unfortunate and unlucky but its not manifestly unfair or wrong. There are good reasons behind the message.

I can't understand this sport anymore. May had eyes for the ball and never deviated them from it. He did nothing wrong and will miss three weeks. Joke.
The problem is you- not the sport. It's not the 70s anymore, you can't hit blokes in the head and call it an accident.
I know change is hard, but it would be idiotic for the AFL to allow this sort of play to continue. It's just too dangerous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel sorry for Rocky for being unable to play yet another game this season. I feel sorry for May, both because of the unlucky outcome of the contact and the punishment he now has to endure as a result of challenging the initial decision.

The easy answer to the bold though is yes, it was reasonably foreseeable that bumping a player, especially a shorter player, and leading with the arm in that manner may result in the other player sustaining injury. The players have seen decisions of a similar nature and would have been informed about the possible consequences of effecting the 'bump' in such a way.

It's not a question of intent either. IMO, to try and prevent serious concussions and other associated injuries they're trying to get players to adapt their methods of contesting the ball. Its a question of player welfare not some sinister attempt to undermine the game.

I hate that I'm a Brisbane supporter making this post, but my opinion would be the same if it involved a different club or a player from the Lions. It's unfortunate and unlucky but its not manifestly unfair or wrong. There are good reasons behind the message.
Nice try
It was reasonable for May to foresee his opponent crashing into May but for this slight change of direction to result in a knockout?
May had every reason to expect his opponent to brace himself and expect the contact

Rock will be embarrassed by his lack of awareness

Couple of things from what I can see:
People need to stop comparing incidents for previous seasons. The rules have changed again, so you cannot compare the length of suspensions with those. They also need to stop comparing it to other incidents like Hodges, Lewis, etc. They are completely different situations and have to be considered differently. Its apples and bananas. It might be unfortunate that they got similar length punishments but you still can't compare them as like for like.

On this specific case people need to stop saying May had no other option. As far as I can see he had plenty of options. He could have:
1. Gone to pick up the ball - He might have got tackled, he might not have. But it was an option
2. Knocked the ball forward - Could have rushed it, could have gone to space, could have been done for deliberate.
3. Waited for Rocky to get the ball and tackled him - might have worked might not have if Rocky had soccered it at goal.
4. Bumped Rocky off the path of the ball.

Tactically number 4 is the best option but it wasn't the only option he had.

On the actual bump, people have to stop saying it was a perfect bump. It wasn't. The rules clearly say that in this situation you cannot get them high. He did well by not jumping or raising the elbow but he still got him high, which is clearly against the current rules. I'm not sure why but very few AFL players have learnt how to get low to lay bumps. The arguing that its not his fault he is taller or something doesn't make sense. It is under his duty of care to make sure he doesn't get Rocky high.

Nice try
It was reasonable for May to foresee his opponent crashing into May but for this slight change of direction to result in a knockout?
May had every reason to expect his opponent to brace himself and expect the contact

Both players came to the ball. One decided to go for the bump. The outcome was reasonably foreseeable with regards to the player who chose to effect the bump. Acting in a way that is based upon an expectation that another player will act in a certain manner isn't a defense. There are plenty of ways a player can act in those circumstances which you could argue could be reasonably expected by the other player (in this case May).

May chose to effect the bump. He has to take Rockliff's conduct in the same instance as it was, not what it could or should have been. So if you choose to effect a bump like that, that's ok, but you need to be sure that your technique is flawless every time. Otherwise you're taken to understand the consequences which may flow.

I thought 1 or 2 weeks was acceptable.

People need to stop comparing incidents for previous seasons. The rules have changed again, so you cannot compare the length of suspensions with those. They also need to stop comparing it to other incidents like Hodges, Lewis, etc. They are completely different situations and have to be considered differently. Its apples and bananas. It might be unfortunate that they got similar length punishments but you still can't compare them as like for like.

On this specific case people need to stop saying May had no other option. As far as I can see he had plenty of options. He could have:
1. Gone to pick up the ball - He might have got tackled, he might not have. But it was an option
2. Knocked the ball forward - Could have rushed it, could have gone to space, could have been done for deliberate.
3. Waited for Rocky to get the ball and tackled him - might have worked might not have if Rocky had soccered it at goal.

On the actual bump, people have to stop saying it was a perfect bump. It wasn't. The rules clearly say that in this situation you cannot get them high. He did well by not jumping or raising the elbow but he still got him high, which is clearly against the current rules. I'm not sure why but very few AFL players have learnt how to get low to lay bumps. The arguing that its not his fault he is taller or something doesn't make sense. It is under his duty of care to make sure he doesn't get Rocky high.
Spoken like a true newcomer to footy.

Yes he had those options but in the same circumstances 80 % of players in mays position would choose the same option he did

And that is why people are outraged
Judicial decisions changing the game without debate

We r all invested

You have view
But it's different to the way the game has been played

So stop acting like a know all
And recognise that right or wrong we supporters need to be brought along in what is a significant change

Spoken like a true newcomer to footy.
No its spoken by someone who has watched the rules for a long time and actually understand the rules.

May had options, he chose the tactically correct option but didn't execute it correctly. His challenge was exactly like yours and yebiga emotive but stupid under the current rules.

I know it sounds depressing, but there's nothing we can do about this.

The AFL and the tribunal have an agenda to ruin the game, and they're not going to back away from this with the May incident.

Its alright though. They'll get whats coming to them soon.

We may not like it but the rule is clear. Choose to bump and make head high contact if you had an alternative and you are in trouble. Injury to the player collected exacerbates the matter. The MRP had very little wriggle room as the rule is written. All codes are concerned about the short and long term implications of concussive injuries and are doing all in their powers to mitigate any future litigation.

The problem is you- not the sport. It's not the 70s anymore, you can't hit blokes in the head and call it an accident.
I know change is hard, but it would be idiotic for the AFL to allow this sort of play to continue. It's just too dangerous.
If you are comparing what May did to the 1970s then I'm afraid the problem lies with yourself.

No its spoken by someone who has watched the rules for a long time and actually understand the rules.

May had options, he chose the tactically correct option but didn't execute it correctly. His challenge was exactly like yours and yebiga emotive but stupid under the current rules.
Please withdrW the adjective stupid
Or I will counter with a dozen far more accurate and provocative

Remove this Banner Ad

Back