May's hit on Rockcliffe

Remove this Banner Ad

BS decision

I'm an umpire and previously played as a junior, it was in the contest and a tactical way of not conceding a goal and May did it to win that contest by knocking Rockliff off balance. Complete accident, the ball was in play and the players knew contact was going to come.

As a precedent, why doesn't tackles that injure players get looked at now?

Why wasn't Macaffer suspended for wrecking Gazzas shoulder for example? Wrecking the game some of these rules. Why don't we play touch footy now or even better....... ******* NETBALL!!!! Its a bloody contact sport.

And yes Gia should've copped weeks for Kosi but didn't, Kosi wasn't in that contest and had no awareness so Gia should've shown a duty of care there, however, if Rockliff didn't have awareness of potential contact coming from May then he shouldn't be playing AFL. If May didn't do what he did then yeah he might've conceded a goal.

good decision :)

No! Bad decision. I can't agree with you here.

It was in play and not unreasonable to bump Rockliffe off the ball. In fact, it was unreasonable to expect anything different.

Compare that to Garland collecting Pavlich on the weekend. Pavlich completes a mark and has two paces before being hit by Garland coming in the other direction. The MRP writes it up as an accidental head clash in a marking contest. Nice, except for the fact that Garland wasn't in any marking contest and was over 5 meters away when Pavlich took the mark. He elected to bump and took Pav out of the game.

See the inconsistency here. This is why the MRP / Tribunal refuses to be bound by precedent. It allows the AFL to rort the system to get their desired outcome.

I don't see how he thought he was in the clear. Shoulder to the jaw = knocked out player = time off.

Now I think the 3 weeks is way too long and maybe a 2 down to 1 with the early plea would f been suffice.

If it had happened the other way and Rockliff got 3 weeks for a hit like that, you'd be ropeable.

#carn
Rockliff was undisciplined twice last year and served his time for what he did and most normal lions fans won't disagree with the penalties he copped.

Hip and shoulder, ball right there, eyes on the ball, not even a free kick. Not his fault the guys short!

Some Brisbane fans need to take their colours off in this thread.

May braced for the ball while he was looking at it so he could keep himself between Rockliff and the ball. Rockliff ran into his shoulder.

If it happened in reverse, you'd be absolutely spewing that your player got 3 weeks for incidental contact.

Looking at the vidoes posted on here I can't agree with you, infact I don't know what any of you's are thinking, he runs directly for Rockliff. He has hit him high with a bump. It's illegal. Stupidity from the suns thinking he would get off.

Looking at the vidoes posted on here I can't agree with you, infact I don't know what any of you's are thinking, he runs directly for Rockliff. He has hit him high with a bump. It's illegal. Stupidity from the suns thinking he would get off.
I think some people are just worried the hip and shoulder is getting taken out of the game. Which is wrong. In fact you can still hip and shoulder as hard as you like. Just when you hit someone even slightly high and hurt their head you are in trouble.

Some Brisbane fans need to take their colours off in this thread.

May braced for the ball while he was looking at it so he could keep himself between Rockliff and the ball. Rockliff ran into his shoulder.

If it happened in reverse, you'd be absolutely spewing that your player got 3 weeks for incidental contact.

My colours are off. He should have just taken the 2 weeks. Stupid to challenge. Got all his experience from Campbell.

I think some people are just worried the hip and shoulder is getting taken out of the game. Which is wrong. In fact you can still hip and shoulder as hard as you like. Just when you hit someone even slightly high and hurt their head you are in trouble.

Turner nailed paddy here, perfect bump. Shoulder into shoulder/chest.

May hits rockliff in the head. That's why is isn't playing for 3 weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hip and shoulder, ball right there, eyes on the ball, not even a free kick. Not his fault the guys short!
I find the whole short vs tall thing an incredibly stupid way of justifying something. If we're going to say it's ok cause he was taller maybe we should only award a mark if the taller player doesn't jump at the ball. There's pros and cons to being taller, this is one of them

3 Games now.

So he got the same penalty as Lewis plus an extra for challenging.

Absolute disgrace of a decision.

Lewis deliberately smashes an opponent late with a round house to the face, deliberate as hell, nowhere near the ball which was basically a snipping dog act and May gets the same plus an extra due to challenging.

The AFL tribunal is a dead set bunch of idiots.

So he got the same penalty as Lewis plus an extra for challenging.

Absolute disgrace of a decision.

Lewis deliberately smashes an opponent late with a round house to the face, deliberate as hell, nowhere near the ball which was basically a snipping dog act and May gets the same plus an extra due to challenging.

The AFL tribunal is a dead set bunch of idiots.

May is worth 2, if he wasn't a knob they wouldn't of contested it.

Lewis is late but i don't think it was that bad, Being beaten up. worth 2 or 3

Hodge deserves 6 weeks for a king hit

Oh please May picked him off what was Rocky supposed to do not go for the football

Stop being biased sore loser.

Two players attacked the ball, one blocked the line, the other ran into him.

Was May supposed to let Rockliff win the contest and get to the ball first.

The contact was no different than players jumping into each other in a marking contest and one comes away with a broken nose........ala Hurn v Cameron last weekend. But that's deemed fair and reasonable with no penalty.

The AFL are a bunch of hypocrites. They allow a ruckman to deliberately knee someone in the back of the head in a marking contest but accidental clashes like this one they throw the book at people.

The contact was no different than players jumping into each other in a marking contest and one comes away with a broken nose........ala Hurn v Cameron last weekend. But that's deemed fair and reasonable with no penalty.

The AFL are a bunch of hypocrites. They allow a ruckman to deliberately knee someone in the back of the head in a marking contest but accidental clashes like this one they throw the book at people.

Yep.

Shoulders collide with heads at almost every stoppage. Players are expected to use their bodies to make space for either themselves or a teammate to gain possession or time with the ball.

This got 3 weeks purely on the back of the medical report, which is a disgrace.

So because I don't agree with you I'm being a sore loser hardly. Rockiff didn't run into May. May saw Rockiff there and decided to take him out he could have gone for the football instead he deserved he's 2 weeks but decided to challenge fair wack

Remove this Banner Ad

Back