News Mazda sign on

Aug 28, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ahhh Ohhhh, Every time someone puts something on here I wake up the next morning after a few scotches with one.

Due to looking at the price of the Mazda I like I have chained & padlocked the scotch cabinet for tonight. Sorry Mazda.

Awesome News !!! :thumbsu::thumbsu:

JB: At the end of 2016, @MazdaAus will have been our major partner for 18 years. They've been incredibly loyal

JB: It's an alignment (with Mazda) that works for us.

Scott: It's a great coup that we've secured who I think is the best football administrator in the game, Geoff Walsh.

JB: We were sitting at about $23 million revenue in 2007. We're now at about $33 million.

JB: Our (football department) spend is significantly up on 2007

JB: We think we play the most exciting football in the competition. There's great reason for five Friday night games.

Scott: We want to condition our young side to taxing football because that's how it will be in September.

Scott: In terms of comparison to last year, any fixture would be easier than last year.

JB: It was back in the early 90's...we started talking about Good Friday football.

JB: If you came up with the idea (Good Friday football) it's got to place you at the top of the queue.

Walsh: We haven't discussed the potential All Star game at the club yet.

Walsh: From a personnel point of view, there are four people in the football department since I was last there.

Walsh: No longer do I hear the talk of 'North is a struggling club'. That was something that influenced my decision.

Scott: 43 of the 45 players on the list will be able to complete most of (Utah). That includes the draftees

Scott: If you talk to our medicos, they're thinking first half of the year for Swallow.:)

Scott: It'll be touch and go whether Majak is right for Round.

Scott: At the end of the day, our actions are going to have to do the talking.

Walsh: Since everyone shut up and bought memberships, as I suggested, the club's gone from strength to strength.

theduckfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Veteran North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Mar 31, 2007
GB
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Inter,Victory, Liverpool
Pipedream.

BUT!, what about the get out clause they have!!!

May 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Has to be one of the longest serving sponsors in the AFL. Mazda were there when we last won a premiership along with Boomer! Lets hope both Mazda and Boomer can see another one.

I also got the $500 in extras a few years back. They requested my membership number which I imagine they may cross reference (who knows).

I got a good piece of advice that you mention the special offer at the end just before the paperwork, that way the dealer will not try and count it as part of lowering the price earlier.

Gotta say I really like the Mazda car designs, it's a personal thing but I just think they're a cut above the competition in the same class. Pretty good drive too.

p.s. well done to the NMFC, bloody great work.

The above advice is so spot on that it's worth repeating.

Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The great news continues to roll in as North Melbourne will announce tomorrow that Mazda has signed-on as major sponsor.

Full details to be revealed tomorrow but terrific news as our longest ever sponsor agrees to stay on!

Mazda have been our major sponsor since 1999.

Kudos to them they've ridden out the lull and now will reap the rewards for the next 5+ yrs

naturally north

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 8, 2008
Waiting for Lindsay Thomas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
T**ty Bong two's
Well I've stepped up to the plate. Was looking at a Subaru but thought I'd support a North supporter.

Traded my petrol guzzling V8 ute for a Mazda 6 Atenza diesel 2.2 twin turbo. Took it for a run to Cockatoo last night to let my mate Jebediah feast his inbred eyes upon her. He reckons it looks like one of them fancy European ve-he-icles. Like a a Jag-ee-har.
And after a night of red lining and high speed the computer told me I'm getting 7.3 litres per 100 K's. Near cried I did. The days of blowing a hungie a week on fuel are over.:thumbsu:

No this isn't an advert but s**t Mazda are back, got a bit lost since the halcyon days of the Mazda RX4 (70's) and the like.

Anywho it freakin flies and it's awezoom.

Thanks Mazda on all fronts.

Augustine

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal
This is gonna sound weird but when I was a kid me and my brothers used to run around the house singing the "Zoom Zoom Zoom" song. Club sponsorship works...

Aug 13, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NORTH! 2016,2017,2018.
Well I've stepped up to the plate. Was looking at a Subaru but thought I'd support a North supporter.

Traded my petrol guzzling V8 ute for a Mazda 6 Atenza diesel 2.2 twin turbo. Took it for a run to Cockatoo last night to let my mate Jebediah feast his inbred eyes upon her. He reckons it looks like one of them fancy European ve-he-icles. Like a a Jag-ee-har.
And after a night of red lining and high speed the computer told me I'm getting 7.3 litres per 100 K's. Near cried I did. The days of blowing a hungie a week on fuel are over.:thumbsu:

No this isn't an advert but s**t Mazda are back, got a bit lost since the halcyon days of the Mazda RX4 (70's) and the like.

Anywho it freakin flies and it's awezoom.

Thanks Mazda on all fronts.
Did he say anything about wanting to play for North? Any recent meetings?

Mazda are pretty much stuck with us or nobody, because they sponsored us before the GestapoFL came into power they have the right to continue sponsorship. AFL wont allow any new sponsorship agreement with a car manufacturers, if they stop sponsoring us they are out of AFL sponsorship unless they can takeover Toyota as the AFL partner.

I'd expect them to keep sponsoring us until it is badly unaffordable, they rely on advertising to sell their products because never had a presence in Australia, were always a full importer.

Hopefully the next deal with them is for a lot more money given our FTA exposure has increased significantly in recent times.

naturally north

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 8, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
T**ty Bong two's
Did he say anything about wanting to play for North? Any recent meetings?

HA! Good question because as my mate Jeb and I sat outside the Black Cockatoo pizzeria in good ol' Cockatoo. I did ponder just how many 'meat lovers' pizza's they'd sell.

Alas there was no sign of young utensil or the required draft pick it would take to get him.

naturally north

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 8, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
T**ty Bong two's
Mazda are pretty much stuck with us or nobody, because they sponsored us before the GestapoFL came into power they have the right to continue sponsorship. AFL wont allow any new sponsorship agreement with a car manufacturers, if they stop sponsoring us they are out of AFL sponsorship unless they can takeover Toyota as the AFL partner.

I'd expect them to keep sponsoring us until it is badly unaffordable, they rely on advertising to sell their products because never had a presence in Australia, were always a full importer.

Hopefully the next deal with them is for a lot more money given our FTA exposure has increased significantly in recent times.

Some peeps are glass half full types, other are glass half empty.

Tas am thinking you just might a good old fashioned ......

:)

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne

However, as previously mentioned in this thread:

It makes more sense that we are brilliant partners, but put a less positive spin on it if you like.
Jeep - Richmond
Renault - Port
Hyundai - Brisbane
VW - Sydney
all happened after Toyota took over sponsorship of the AFL.

However, as previously mentioned in this thread:

I am not aware if the AFL have changed their policy, can't find anything in google about it, I know anyone that had relationships previously with clubs were able to sponsor clubs, however, even last year the AFL were cracking the shits at third party player car sponsorship deals and according to thouthes Wilson:

"The AFL is understood to have been close to telling clubs no further third party car deals would be allowed with officials pointing out such deals were technically not allowed given Toyota's status as the game's major sponsor to the tune of close to $12 million annually."
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/drive-to-cut-footy-car-deals-20130805-2ra6j.html

So not sure the AFL has abandoned the junta mentality. I am not sure they are going to come down like a ton of brick on destitute interstate clubs but can you picture the AFL letting us getting a big new major sponship with say Nissan?

1) Mazda are pretty much stuck with us or nobody

2) I'd expect them to keep sponsoring us until it is badly unaffordable.

Most gloomers wouldn't find that negative I suppose :p

I was just saying if Mazda left us, I doubt the AFL would allow them to sponsor someone else given they are a major threat to Toyota here. Top 5 manufacturers for 2014 were; Toyota, Holden, Hyundai, Mazda and Ford.

I think Toyota would crack the shits if any of those were allowed back into sponsorship if they voluntarily moved out.

Pvck

Draftee
Nov 3, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I was just saying if Mazda left us, I doubt the AFL would allow them to sponsor someone else given they are a major threat to Toyota here. Top 5 manufacturers for 2014 were; Toyota, Holden, Hyundai, Mazda and Ford.

I think Toyota would crack the shits if any of those were allowed back into sponsorship if they voluntarily moved out.

The AFL has the power to commercially protect certain categories, but cars aren't one of them. Beer is (CUB - Carlton Draught) hence no other club having a beer sponsor other than Carlton. Any team can be sponsored by any car company they can convince to fork out the dollars, you evidently don't know what you're talking about.

Back