Analysis McBean and our talls, What do we do?

Pick 19-21 on offer from Club X who do you give up?

• Griffiths

Votes: 37 34.3%
  • Mcbean

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Vickery

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Keep your dirty hands away they're all ours

Votes: 55 50.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 14, 2012
Goldfingers
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Anything involving CROATIA & M.City
With Mcbean on fire the last month in the VFL I would think other clubs will start noticing his performances.
Dont be surprised if Mcbean starts getting some nice offers from rival clubs. How much longer can we keep him satisfied in the twos until he too starts thinking about these offer?

Is he contracted for next season?

Its becoming quite clear that if not this season Mcbean is ready to play AFL at least next season.
Who misses out if Mcbean comes in?

Heres another question which brings me to my reason of creating this thread
If Club X comes to us and offers pick 19 to 21 for one of our tall's who do we trade?

IMO we have the luxury to let one go and try and fill other holes on our list.

Lucky you contracted him until end of 2016. Barrett is similar in ways to Miles. Miles MK2. If you don't play him at all next year he is going to be a cheap player to whoever targets him. Miles knows him, I hope we get him.

It would have to be a very good pick to trade him. Yea he's done SFA in the AFL. But his upside is enormous.

Id like to see him be a regular contributor for us.
He doesn't play a typical CHF or FF role which suits us.

It would have to be a very good pick to trade him. Yea he's done SFA in the AFL. But his upside is enormous.

Id like to see him be a regular contributor for us.
He doesn't play a typical CHF or FF role which suits us.

I like his height, he's similar to Daniher.

I realise we're on the march to the Finals and we need our current players firing but surely the Suns or Bombers game would be ok to give him a shot at FF.
We do need a second or third plan in case Jack goes down.

Development wise. Right now we have:
  • A top grade KPF in Jack - absolute gilt edged A grader.
  • We have TV as an almost mature, ruck/KPF, who consistently performs inconsistently. But is slowly getting maturity. TV can easily become a good B grade KPF and ruck. Which probably equals an A grader in value. SO nice upside, but might just stay at his current level.
  • Griff is much like TV, but is a bit behind. I'd reckon he needs another 2 years to be mature.
  • McBean is starting to really show some consistent class and is a very different tall KPF. Should start getting AFL games and has the potential to be A grade. But needs a lot of work to move into that area.
  • McKenzie has real talent but needs 2 years of work to be AFL standard physically and in doing the full range of things needed for the AFL. Then anther year or two.
So IMHO we have a still maturing set of KPFs. In a year or two we should have too many AFL quality KPFs and can trade out a proven AFL quality KPF - maybe 2. Right now JR must play. TV adds balance and allows JR freedom - ditto Griff (I'm ignoring injuries). McBean can play AFL, but needs more time to get up to speed. MacTruck needs time. So we have no need to trade right now, and this depth allows us to keep a tall dangerous forward line even with injuries suspension's etc. So let's only start trading when we have to, and when the value of our guys is sky high. Trading them now is selling both ourselves and the players short.

McKenzie is still a couple of years off, he's only kicked 8 goals in 12 games.
With Jack, Ty, Griff & McBean we essentially have 3 key forwards ready to go when fit, plus another ready to take the step up as depth and will probably be inconsistent for a while.
If we get rid of one of them then the only key forward depth we have is McKenzie who seems to be adjusting to VFL level, but would be throwing him in the deep end for AFL level.

Worth noting is our plethora of big fellas down back. With Elton just getting an extension and Astbury getting a go at both ends he needs to be considered.

Maybe Astbury & Dea to Geelong plus exchanging order of draft picks for Motlop is a real option? Would fill some needs for Cats with some retirements imminent?

Similarly the pies and blues are after KPF & KPD so who knows what deals could be done?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McKenzie is still a couple of years off, he's only kicked 8 goals in 12 games.
With Jack, Ty, Griff & McBean we essentially have 3 key forwards ready to go when fit, plus another ready to take the step up as depth and will probably be inconsistent for a while.
If we get rid of one of them then the only key forward depth we have is McKenzie who seems to be adjusting to VFL level, but would be throwing him in the deep end for AFL level.
I see your point however if one goes down with injury its not like we cant play with 2 talls up forward as opposed to 3. It worked against Hawthorn and while not Ideal we have even played Hammer and Ivan up there.

So while not ideal if Griffiths is traded we still have many options available to us if a tall is injured for an extended period of time.

Worth noting is our plethora of big fellas down back. With Elton just getting an extension and Astbury getting a go at both ends he needs to be considered.

Maybe Astbury & Dea to Geelong plus exchanging order of draft picks for Motlop is a real option? Would fill some needs for Cats with some retirements imminent?

Similarly the pies and blues are after KPF & KPD so who knows what deals could be done?
I hope we keep Dea, perfect cover for Grimes and Batch.

The thing about McBean is that he is actually kicking goals in the VFL - 2 weeks in a row now we have been beaten there and not kicked a decent score but McBean has kicked plenty.

Neither Griffiths nor Vickery (when there) nor any other key tall we have had at VFL level for years has regularly and consistently kicked multiple goals.

It used to be the way for forward KP players to learn their craft and push for selection and it's nice to see the big kid actually delivering....

Our pay day from The Bean will be significant and IMO he should not be going anywhere.... except into the ones as soon as he is ready.

Astbury has been resigned by the club, and I understand that Dea is set to retire from football to pursue life after football. I wouldn't be counting either of them in any trade discussions.

McKenzie will be ready once Jack starts to slow down, no way will we get rid of him
McBean should be playing out the year alongside Riewoldt
Vickery and Griffiths rarely get to play together, so just play whoever is performing best that week
If one feels they're starved of opportunity, move them on

Astbury looks the one most likely to be let go this year.
We have a further 12 mnths to decide on Griff & Mcbean.

Interesting you say that because from the outside it looks likely but I'm pretty sure Astbury is rated very highly within our four walls (had to say it that way ;)) and its only really been injuries keeping him out. I reckon we would like to keep him unless something came along where an offer was to good to refuse

Trade Ty or griff as I think both Reece and th bean r going to be good players for us

Interesting you say that because from the outside it looks likely but I'm pretty sure Astbury is rated very highly within our four walls (had to say it that way ;)) and its only really been injuries keeping him out. I reckon we would like to keep him unless something came along where an offer was to good to refuse
I think the re-signing of Elton makes Astburys future with us in doubt.Can't really see any offers coming Dave's way with his history of injuries.We may even take that into consideration and delist and Rookie him ala Arnott.

Back