MCC proposes marked increase annual elected member numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.mcc.org.au/Membership/Waiting List/Membership numbers.aspx

However, with more than 103,000 members, another 233,000 waiting to join and the waiting list growing by more than 10,000 each year, the club has for some time been concerned that, unless action is taken, a person who joins the waiting list today will wait more than 40 years before receiving a membership offer.

What the club proposes

To address the aforementioned challenges, the club is considering electing additional Restricted members over the next 5-10 years, with no more than 10,000 in any one year.

I also found this interesting - that member attendance (note: not including guests) is on average about 20% of the reserve capacity.

Average_Member_Attendance_Graph_550.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------

Filling Reserve has long been a challenge

Despite having one of the largest memberships in the country, one of the lesser known facts about MCC membership is the high proportion of visitors admitted to the Reserve, even on major match days. In fact, the Members Reserve is very rarely at capacity on days other than the AFL Grand Final.

Previous increases in member numbers have had negligible impact on attendance. Indeed, the last time the club introduced a large number of new members, during the Northern Stand development period, we successfully managed a 30,000 increase over six years without any pressure on existing amenities. It is part of the ongoing evolution and management of the club.

“We have the scope to accommodate a greater number of members than we do now,” said MCC general manager membership and heritage, Scott Butler. “Years of data show that the MCC Reserve is rarely at capacity, or indeed even close.

“Even some of the marquee events - such as the Boxing Day Test, an AFL Preliminary Final or the Anzac Day match - consistently require us to sell a large number of visitor tickets in order to fill our seating area.”

The club understands that bringing guests into the Reserve is a very popular amenity of membership. While an increase in members may see the number of visitor tickets reduced or not available for big events, we are confident that it can still achieve a balance of maximising attendance and allowing members to host guests in their club.

As someone who is on the waiting list (still a long way off) but enjoys attending as a guest, I'm happy with this move.

http://www.mcc.org.au/Membership/Waiting List/Membership numbers.aspx

I also found this interesting - that member attendance (note: not including guests) is on average about 20% of the reserve capacity.

As someone who is on the waiting list (still a long way off) but enjoys attending as a guest, I'm happy with this move.

I'd be happier if they created a third membership category that is below restricted members where they can't get into finals, anzac day, boxing day and can't access the balcony. MCC was packed for the finals this year, which probably says something about how expensive public tickets are and how MCC members can get into the game at no extra charge.

I'd be happier if they created a third membership category that is below restricted members where they can't get into finals, anzac day, boxing day and can't access the balcony. MCC was packed for the finals this year, which probably says something about how expensive public tickets are and how MCC members can get into the game at no extra charge.

This is probably a reasonable approach.

They could however also implement a "club support" policy and give those people first crack at the finals/GF.

Further to that - do away with this archaic garbage of people lining up from Friday morning to get into the GF and join the 21st century and make it a fully ticketed affair.

This is probably a reasonable approach.

They could however also implement a "club support" policy and give those people first crack at the finals/GF.

Further to that - do away with this archaic garbage of people lining up from Friday morning to get into the GF and join the 21st century and make it a fully ticketed affair.

Reckon with the club support policy idea, they should still buy a club membership. I know hawthorn has a MCC membership as well as the Demons that get you into the etihad games.

Reckon with the club support policy idea, they should still buy a club membership. I know hawthorn has a MCC membership as well as the Demons that get you into the etihad games.

So does Essendon, same with AFL membership. It's an add on to your AFL/MCC membership which gets you a seat at Etihad (as the ticketing for AFL members at Etihad is garbage).

After waiting on the coveted list for 10 years and realising I probably wasnt going to get a membership for another 30 years or so I had all but given up.

Really wrapped that the MCC are going with this 'provisional membership' proposal. it seems like a fair compromse for all concerned.

We went on the list in 2005, so looks like my son and I will be offered one in 5-8 years, depending on how quickly they issue them. :)

http://www.mcc.org.au/Membership/Provisional Membership.aspx

If the MCC keeps holding a quarter of the stadium they should at least greatly expand their membership. Should be expanded to 500,000 (if demand).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back