McCarthy goes home

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, in round 5 of 2015, McCarthy was not an emergency in the 1st game in WA, he was named in the team lineup as the Full Forward and started on the ground.

I am on record saying that I thought Cam McCarthy was over-rated prior to Freo's effort to get him in the trade.
I don't think Freo have missed out. Two first round picks was ample for a player that does not want to play for GWS, will not be playing for GWS within a couple of years, was dropped mid season and the GWS coach appears to have issues with him. GWS had the greatest control of this situation and they are now left with a disgruntled player and are unlikely to get as good as two first round picks for a trade in the future.
Given my rating of McCarthy, and no reason prior to this trade having any issues with GWS, I struggle to see how I am biased in my evaluation and opinion.
If no Giants fans have issues with GWS and their stance on this matter ... then that is disappointing and bias beyond belief.

What exactly are GWS fans now hoping will happen with McCarthy? If you think he is just going to return to the club and give 100% then you are dreaming and as ignorant as the GWS player managers who dismissed McCarthy's attempt to return to WA. You can blame McCarthy, his manager or Freo as much as you like, but GWS are the ones that now have a problem due to their actions and the choices they made.

Either way he was in the team in WA.

Ahhh so we should of rolled over for unders so you could get your fwd. Right. Then we would of been as incompetent as freo in its early years.

As i said. I blame young. No one else.

I think, as shown by your posts, you are trying to fool everyone into thinking you care about cam. But all you do care about is getting that fwd on the cheap.

As far as i can tell no Giants fan has any real issue with what the club has done.
They are looking after a contracted players health, as well as our own club interests. As they should.
We arent here to give freo a solid.

I'm sure the dump truck full of money helped.

Right because nobody has any other reason for playing football than getting paid a lot of money. Have you listened to the enthusiasm of the guy?

The word is that his last two years he will be on $500k. That is good value for his 5th and 6th years even if he merely maintains something approaching his current form. We're not talking ridiculous money here.

Right because nobody has any other reason for playing football than getting paid a lot of money. Have you listened to the enthusiasm of the guy?

The word is that his last two years he will be on $500k. That is good value for his 5th and 6th years even if he merely maintains something approaching his current form. We're not talking ridiculous money here.
Surely Crippa is front loaded though?
He's carrying quite the load already and is on track to be one of the top inside mids in the comp - perhaps even this year.

Surely Crippa is front loaded though?
He's carrying quite the load already and is on track to be one of the top inside mids in the comp - perhaps even this year.

He has only had the two seasons, the first affected by injury. 2016 and 2017 are his first extension years and he signed that during his first injury affected season. I wouldn't imagine he'd be on a much of an earner for them. I read that 2018 and 2019, his second extension, were for $500k. However, it was my belief previously that we should re-negotiate his next couple of years and offer him more on good faith, while extending his contract further. It would not surprise me if we have effectively re-negotiated this to a $2m 4 year contract.

Our cap was tight last year but there has been plenty of room made this year. You'd have to think we would be able to front load that significantly but then Murphy, Gibbs and Thomas are on large deals so it may be best to front load a couple of those further as they are older players.

Well Cripps just signed his second extension with two seasons to go on his first. Somehow I don't think he is feeling pressured. The guy is busting out of his skin to achieve something with the team.

Not a problem for the WA clubs, if he gets homesick at some point this year you'll just have to trade him or the AFL will come over the top and delist him.

I see this is as a whole lot of crocodile tears from Freo supporters who want to get a player without having to pay fully for him.

What gets me is that the poor kid doesn't understand that if he leaves GWS and never comes back, he'll miss the opportunity of a lifetime rubbing shoulders along side the caring and sharing all-time Geelong good guy - Stevie J.

Really hope he ends up at Freo so they steer clear of big Hoges!
That a valid point...it is the elephant in the room in regards to this whole saga. I think the fact that freo weren't willing to really throw everything into getting cam might have a bit to do with hogan's potential availability. Lets face it...boath these guys are diehard freo and cam is worth half of what jess is.

That a valid point...it is the elephant in the room in regards to this whole saga. I think the fact that freo weren't willing to really throw everything into getting cam might have a bit to do with hogan's potential availability. Lets face it...boath these guys are diehard freo and cam is worth half of what jess is.

There is something unseemly about big clubs trying to steal the best players from poor teams.

There is something unseemly about big clubs trying to steal the best players from poor teams.
I agree...the teams bottoming out as free agency and the new franchises were starting up will be up against it for quite some time. The afl have created such a handicap race but it isn't helping. The clubs at the top are only going to stay their for longer now because they are now even more attractive to play for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You didnt read the first sentence did you?

Also serious question is there another club that has had more players leave to go home? GC comes to mind... Brisbane? They would be the leaders I would have thought

Simpson was delisted but wanted to stay
"He's super hungry to play football and be back in the AFL and I think one thing in terms of Fremantle taking footy away from him is it really made him realise what he's missing.

"He's desperate to get back, start training, be back at the club really attack his last chance he might get at having an AFL career."

Ballard was delisted but wanted to stay
"The conversation Jacob and Fremantle had was more about opportunities.

"Looking at Fremantle's midfield for the next two to three years, it's so gun loaded with good midfielders that they felt they needed to free up some spots on their list."
"He'd move anywhere to get his AFL career up and going, and he's still young enough to hop on a rookie list and make the most of it."

So that brings your list to 3 players since 2010.

Adelaide;
Dangerfield, Vince, Tippett, Davis, Gunston, Maric, Griffin
Brisbane;
Go home 5 should say enough
Gold Coast;
Caddy, Hickey, Krakour, Smith
GWS;
Hampton, Treloar, Bugg, O'Rourke, Jaksch, Tyson, Bruce
Port;
Jacobs, Newton, Chaplin
Syd;
Jetta, Membrey, White, Biggs
WC;
Ebert, Stevens, Selwood

So Freo and Port have probably fared the best out of the interstate clubs, with regard to players going home.

Really.

Josh Simpson had cultural issues
Dylan Roberton knock up his girlfriend and he asked to be traded, which we tried to do but no takers. We delisted him to allow him to return home to get support looking after a baby.
Viv Michie couldn't make it with us and we trade him to the Dees.
Ballard - Was delisted and nobody pick him up
Tarrant - Tarrant loved it in the west but his wife wanted to return to Melbourne and got a good opportunity to win a flag.

Actually, Freo didn't want to lose Michie, he came to the end of his contract and wanted to be traded to Melbourne.

Really hope he ends up at Freo so they steer clear of big Hoges!

I like Melbourne's list going forward (future). If I were Hogan (unfortunately I am not), I would be staying at Melbourne. After this year, I think we'll see Fremantle on the slide, I cannot imagine they will be a desired destination (even if he were homesick). I think Melbourne can be a powerhouse in 2-4 years time.

I like Melbourne's list going forward (future). If I were Hogan (unfortunately I am not), I would be staying at Melbourne. After this year, I think we'll see Fremantle on the slide, I cannot imagine they will be a desired destination (even if he were homesick). I think Melbourne can be a powerhouse in 2-4 years time.
They said that about Melbourne in 2009 as well.

I'm sure the dump truck full of money helped.

Just to make it clearer though ...

The West Australian said he wasn’t tempted to return to his home state to play for Fremantle or West Coast.

"It was an easy decision and I was rapt to get the deal done,” Cripps said.

"Obviously I’m happy with where the club is heading so when 'SOS' (list manager Stephen Silvagni) came to me, I was happy to sign on.

"I’ve got terrific family support and the club has been fantastic down here. I love playing for the Blues so there was no go-home factor at all."

Can't get more emphatic than that.

Simpson was delisted but wanted to stay
"He's super hungry to play football and be back in the AFL and I think one thing in terms of Fremantle taking footy away from him is it really made him realise what he's missing.

"He's desperate to get back, start training, be back at the club really attack his last chance he might get at having an AFL career."

Ballard was delisted but wanted to stay
"The conversation Jacob and Fremantle had was more about opportunities.

"Looking at Fremantle's midfield for the next two to three years, it's so gun loaded with good midfielders that they felt they needed to free up some spots on their list."
"He'd move anywhere to get his AFL career up and going, and he's still young enough to hop on a rookie list and make the most of it."

So that brings your list to 3 players since 2010.

Adelaide;
Dangerfield, Vince, Tippett, Davis, Gunston, Maric, Griffin
Brisbane;
Go home 5 should say enough
Gold Coast;
Caddy, Hickey, Krakour, Smith
GWS;
Hampton, Treloar, Bugg, O'Rourke, Jaksch, Tyson, Bruce
Port;
Jacobs, Newton, Chaplin
Syd;
Jetta, Membrey, White, Biggs
WC;
Ebert, Stevens, Selwood

So Freo and Port have probably fared the best out of the interstate clubs, with regard to players going home.
Home?
I think you might need to check some of your own facts

Vince - from Qld / Adelaide
Tippett - born in Sydney but grew up in Qld
Smith (assume you mean Zac) - born and raised in Qld
Hampton from NT

Biggs was delisted by Sydney.

Simpson. Went bush for 1 year now back in the big smoke I here for another Crack. Wonder if he goes alright in the wafl an adl club will give him another go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back