Delisted Paddy McCartin

Remove this Banner Ad

The whole reason it was an issue like Big Mart said was that our recruiters didn't do their due diligence and know he was a diabetic beforehand. Very different to this time where we knew and took it in consideration. That shows poor research and was the nail in the coffin for Peake (thank the lord) and so he got the arse!

That is why so much has been said about PM's maturity and preparedness and work ethic because he'll need those traits in order to manage the diabetes and to excel.

I'm pretty sure Cripps only found out he had diabeties when he got to the club and imagine it came at a shock to him and the club. Paddy has been managing the illness since he was nine and obviously played junior footy with it without any dramas and to a high standard.

I'm pretty sure Cripps only found out he had diabeties when he got to the club and imagine it came at a shock to him and the club. Paddy has been managing the illness since he was nine and obviously played junior footy with it without any dramas and to a high standard.

Oh, well I'm not saying it was Cripps fault or that he tried to hide anything. It should have come out in the testing leading up to the draft regardless, i.e. our supposedly thorough due diligence. Anyway Peake didn't go just for that incident......

Apparently he found out pre draft. He told the eagles who told him to keep it quiet

Ive got first hand knowledge of Type 1 diabetes.
It wouldve been incredibly tough for young Cripps to be diagnosed with Type one when being drafted. For the next few months his whole world wouldve been turned on its head with his new medical & diet regime . I can totally understand he mightve had problems settling in to an interstate club at this stage.
TBH i can understand him wanting to go home. Being drafted and moving interstate is big enough without having to do it just after finding out youve got a serious lifelong medical condition. I wish Cripps all the best.
Paddy is a whole different kettle of fish. Hes had it half of his life and it would just be part of his everyday now . Actually once kids with type 1 get used to their condition they can tend to get a bit 'relaxed' with it which can lead to their weight going up n down a fair bit.
Being at an AFL club now will be a great thing for Paddys health. Dietitians and fitness staff will be so far up Paddy clacker that he will be more on top of his Diabetes than he ever has been. He may have a Diabetes ' Hypo' everynow and then ( which is easily treated)
It wont be a problem at all for him.
The more amazing story is how Dale Weightman was such a great player. Back in the 'Fleas'day Blood sugar level reading was nowhere as advanced as what it is now. Most of Dales monitoring wouldve been based on how he was feeling as opposed to actual accurate blood readings.
Paddy has it a s**t load easier.
This kid will be focused and dedicated because he has to be. He is going to be an awesome pick up for us:thumbsu::thumbsu:

St.Kilda has shown it gets the no.1 picks right, and I think in this case it'll be another tick.

Obviously I'm over the moon with Melbournes draft, but McCartin has everything you want in a key forward. Excellent hands, aggression, accuracy, good below the knees and loads of leadership qualities. You can draft midfielders in ANY draft, but you can't pick up top line KP forwards like you did this year.

Best of luck to Patty and the Saints, from experience I know that as a supporter you really can't expect too much from him for a little while, and I hope the non-Saints supporters also understand that (Who knows he might look a gun from his first game, but talls do take time, see Hawkins).
Did pretty damn good with your first two picks as well mate.
Good luck.

A mate of mine (supporter of Big 4 team) said it was irresponsible to liken McCartin and Goddard to Franklin/Roughead....this was my response

Think that's a bit harsh Kurt. In my living memory pick number ones have always been put under heavy pressure, especially when they've been drafted by a Melbourne club. It's difficult to explain to a supporter of a big club, what it's like to be a supporter of a small club. We need to take every opportunity we can get to get some positive news. St Kilda had the lowest membership of any VIC club this year. The club and the AFL is aware that they need to breed hope into the Saints fans so they put there hands in there pocket.

We have less of a total number of supporters to get to. St Kilda aren't going to be winning over members with performances on the field this year, let's be honest. This is our chance to provide confidence, despite finishing last in 2014, despite posting a massive operational loss, despite us not looking like we'll get to Junction Oval.

This is a small window of opportunity to get not only the diehard Saints fans excited about the direction of the club, but the ones who are deciding on whether they will renew or not.

A mate of mine (supporter of Big 4 team) said it was irresponsible to liken McCartin and Goddard to Franklin/Roughead....this was my response

Think that's a bit harsh Kurt. In my living memory pick number ones have always been put under heavy pressure, especially when they've been drafted by a Melbourne club. It's difficult to explain to a supporter of a big club, what it's like to be a supporter of a small club. We need to take every opportunity we can get to get some positive news. St Kilda had the lowest membership of any VIC club this year. The club and the AFL is aware that they need to breed hope into the Saints fans so they put there hands in there pocket.

We have less of a total number of supporters to get to. St Kilda aren't going to be winning over members with performances on the field this year, let's be honest. This is our chance to provide confidence, despite finishing last in 2014, despite posting a massive operational loss, despite us not looking like we'll get to Junction Oval.

This is a small window of opportunity to get not only the diehard Saints fans excited about the direction of the club, but the ones who are deciding on whether they will renew or not.
It annoys me theirs a lot of people out there who only buy memberships at the positive times. Watch the 15,000 bandwagon supporters come out of the wood works in 2018

It annoys me theirs a lot of people out there who only buy memberships at the positive times. Watch the 15,000 bandwagon supporters come out of the wood works in 2018
Agree.
Had an argument with a Richmond supporter at work yrs ago because he said why should he get a membership when the club is playing s**t. He said you pay for a service and if the service is no good then why should I pay.
I said you obviously just follow your club but dont realy support them.
he didnt understand.

If he turns out better than Jack Watt's I'm happy.

What is he aiming for? What is the norm for an AFL player?
I'm no expert on skinfolds at AFL level by any means and just tried to google it to find out what skinfolds are generally at at elite sport level (lost interest pretty quickly when I wasn't getting any firm answers immediately, as I don't have a lot of time), but given that some of the others in his draft class are already down in the early 30's, before they've even entered the AFL system, I would think that many or most are in the 20's, or at a bare minimum somewhere under 35, but that's pretty much just an educated guess and those who play midfield likely have the lowest.

I was re-watching some of the Vic Country v WA champs game before and my father was here and watching it with me and unprompted the first thing he said, when I pointed Paddy out to him, was "He looks fat" and he then proceeded to talk about how big his ass was, so it's very fair to say that he definitely needed to get those skinfolds down and to start carrying around solid muscle, rather than fat. 80ish (where he reportedly was at the end of the season) is way up there for someone playing high level sport, even at U18's level.

As I said though, if he was able to perform as well as he was while being that short of where we'll want him to be, it just makes you wonder how much better he'll be able to play once he gets into senior-AFL shape! A couple of the diving marks that he took with the ball only just a few inches off the ground in that game were extremely impressive for anyone, let along someone who was clearly pretty out of shape (and also only just returning from injury). It's no wonder they say he is great with the ball below his knees, one of them was like a diving-forward, really low slips-catch, that you would very rarely see anyone take.

As for what he'd be aiming for, given that he's apparently dropped them by 10 since the combine and by as much as 15 or more since the season ended, I dare say the club would be hoping/expecting that that rate of progress continues and that they are down below 50 by the end of the preseason. If he manages that it will have been a hell of a physical transformation in a relatively short period of time and he ought to feel a hell of a lot better and stronger for it.

PS- Darcy Parish hit him up with a couple of passes in the first quarter of that game (and Lonie gave him one lace-out in the 2nd), so it might have been a taste of things to come if we nab him with our first pick next year!

I was also impressed with how much distance Paddy got with the set shot he had in the first quarter. He was kicking from about 43m out, but it looked like he checked his kick a little and didn't really follow through (may have gotten too close to whoever was on the mark, as they suggested in commentary), yet it still went through 3/4 post height and landed about 10 rows back in the crowd (at Etihad), so it looked like the kick went a comfortable 55m- which was very encouraging, as I haven't heard about his kicking being long. :thumbsu:

It was also pretty ridiculous how much he was being held (by Tyler Kietel) in the first quarter of that game. One of the marks he took he had to go for one-handed to begin with, as his other hand/wrist was being held/pulled away from him and then another ball came in high a few mins later and he at first had one arm clearly held behind his back, then when he finally got it free, he looked to be almost bear-hugged, with both arms held at various times and yet no free was paid. It was no wonder he threw his arms up, looked around and had a WTF? look on his face! I dare say that sort of stuff probably happened to him a lot at junior level, costing him a lot of goals.

Last edited:
As I said though, if he was able to perform as well as he was while being that short of where we'll want him to be, it just makes you wonder how much better he'll be able to play once he gets into senior-AFL shape!

Losing that extra weight will increase his power:weight ratio and make him more explosive, more agile and also increase his endurance. Considering his strengths are his explosive pace on the lead and his ability below his knees this should be a pretty big boost to his performance.

It'll be great to see him after a few preseasons when he has built his tank up and is a lean 94-95kg. If he learns even half of what Roo has to offer then he should be an absolute beast.

I wouldn't say that he necessarily needed to lose weight, as he didn't look too big (except maybe his ass- he could stand to lose some of that weight) but he just wasn't ripped in any way with defined muscle, so it's just about replacing the fat with pure, explosive muscle. I reckon his ideal playing weight down the track at AFL level will be closer to 100kg than 95kg, as his big assets are his strength and power, so he's never likely to venture too far from goal to get his possessions, I wouldn't think. He'll be as close to a Fev/Plugger type as we've seen in quite a while, I expect, so someone else will probably need to do the endurance stuff up the ground. Hopefully Spencer or Lee will find a tank from somewhere, or that Bruce makes it at CHF, or of course HG- or J Cameron!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't say that he necessarily needed to lose weight, as he didn't look too big (except maybe his ass- he could stand to lose some of that weight) but he just wasn't ripped in any way with defined muscle, so it's just about replacing the fat with pure, explosive muscle. I reckon his ideal playing weight down the track at AFL level will be closer to 100kg than 95kg, as his big assets are his strength and power, so he's never likely to venture too far from goal to get his possessions, I wouldn't think. He'll be as close to a Fev/Plugger type as we've seen in quite a while, I expect, so someone else will probably need to do the endurance stuff up the ground. Hopefully Spencer or Lee will find a tank from somewhere, or that Bruce makes it at CHF, or of course HG- or J Cameron!
I get the feeling that now we have McCartin that Jez Cameron will not be a priority for us. Can see us chasing 2 mids possibly instead.

Awesome article just up on afl site about Paddy smashing himself with the Falcons strength and conditioning coach after the season.

I'm so excited that he will be pushing himself with Roo for at least the next couple. Already a favourite, so likeable, just revisit the going places articles to get a feel for this bloke.

As for our war chest, I believe we can definitely sell hope for our rebuild to just about any mid with where our list is currently at. Ill start with Treloar, Shiel, Whitfield, WHE and Smith - who's feeling homesick??

Awesome article just up on afl site about Paddy smashing himself with the Falcons strength and conditioning coach after the season.

I'm so excited that he will be pushing himself with Roo for at least the next couple. Already a favourite, so likeable, just revisit the going places articles to get a feel for this bloke.

As for our war chest, I believe we can definitely sell hope for our rebuild to just about any mid with where our list is currently at. Ill start with Treloar, Shiel, Whitfield, WHE and Smith - who's feeling homesick??
Love his work-ethic, it will make him very successful.

Prefer Treloar and Shiel, don't really need WHE and Whitfield. Would love Devon Smith though, him and Jack Lonie could make an extremely dangerous and damaging duo in the future. In WHE, I see Acres and in Whitfield, I see Jack Newnes. Treloar and Shiel... we don't really have

Love his work-ethic, it will make him very successful.

Prefer Treloar and Shiel, don't really need WHE and Whitfield. Would love Devon Smith though, him and Jack Lonie could make an extremely dangerous and damaging duo in the future. In WHE, I see Acres and in Whitfield, I see Jack Newnes. Treloar and Shiel... we don't really have
WHE and Whitfield would probably be more getable than the first two you mentioned, and you can never have too much silk in your team. They'd fit in nicely!

WHE and Whitfield would probably be more getable than the first two you mentioned, and you can never have too much silk in your team. They'd fit in nicely!
True true! They are better than Acres and maybe Whitfield is better than Newnesy, although I think Newnes will be an AA player.

Richmond are a team that are deemed to have a bit "too much silk." You need grunt and toughness as well which is why the Tigers also tried to hunt for Armitage. I think we need grunt/pace = Treloar and Shiel

True true! They are better than Acres and maybe Whitfield is better than Newnesy, although I think Newnes will be an AA player.

Richmond are a team that are deemed to have a bit "too much silk." You need grunt and toughness as well which is why the Tigers also tried to hunt for Armitage. I think we need grunt/pace = Treloar and Shiel

one of Shiel/Treloar and one of WHE/Whitfield would be the ideal combination.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back