McDonalds Childcare Centres

Remove this Banner Ad

Brick me, shithead.

You're the one making the claim. You prove that McDonald's is no worse for you than a hypothetical burger with higher fibre content and lower sugar content than a more upmarket restaurant.

We are both making claims. I have linked to the nutritional value of McDonalds burgers, which is already far more than what other posters have claimed it to be. You have provided zero evidence to back up your claim that upmarket hamburgers are healthier. In fact you've provided zero evidence for a single claim you've ever made with your proud history of 1 sentence insult posts.

I query their use of the phrase 'most nutritious'. Again it sounds like they're basing that more on macros than micros (though the micro content was admittedly more than I was expecting).

One rebuttal I found said:

To put this all in context, let’s compare what you get above to a serving of frozen spinach. 45 calories of spinach provides 366% of daily vitamin A, 20% of daily calcium, 14% of vitamin C, 16% of iron, and 18% of daily fiber. This comes with 1 gram of fat, 6 grams of protein, and 7 total carbohydrates.

Note: the cost of 5.5 ounces of frozen spinach was derived from the per-ounce price ($0.14) of frozen spinach on Safeway.com.

So if we’re trying to award the mantle of “most nutritious,” it’s not much of a contest. The table below highlights the difference: except on total calories and protein, spinach is cheaper than the McDouble (and that’s without factoring in the agriculture subsidies and other economic externalities that favor the McDouble). And spinach has less fat and fewer simple carbohydrates than the McDouble, so it wins on those fronts too. If your aim is to simply “fill your belly,” then the McDouble wins. But if you care about what you’re putting in your body, spinach is a very economical champion.

Keep in mind again that we talk about the lack of “nutritious” foods available to the food insecure before we talk about “inadequate amounts” of foods available to the food insecure. In America, lack of nutrition means lack of vital micronutrients more than lack of vital macronutrients.

So then I looked up the nutrition facts of both on an independent site:

Double Cheeseburger
Spinach

Note the nutrition target maps - where spinach was rated far higher than the burger in both satiety and nutrition levels - and also the nutrient balance maps - where spinach rated a completeness score of 93 compared to a paltry 35 for the burger.

I query their use of the phrase 'most nutritious'. Again it sounds like they're basing that more on macros than micros (though the micro content was admittedly more than I was expecting).

One rebuttal I found said:

So then I looked up the nutrition facts of both on an independent site:

Double Cheeseburger
Spinach

Note the nutrition target maps - where spinach was rated far higher than the burger in both satiety and nutrition levels - and also the nutrient balance maps - where spinach rated a completeness score of 93 compared to a paltry 35 for the burger.

How does this have any relevance to McDonalds food being less healthy than other restaurants? Do you go out to eat and get a bowl of spinach?

Again, the argument is not that Hamburgers are as healthy as fresh vegetables. Obviously they are not. The argument I am making is: What makes McDonalds burgers less healthy than burgers purchased elsewhere? When you can answer that then you will understand that dislike of McDonalds is more about envy of their status as a large multinational than it is a comment on the relative healthiness of their food.

The fact that this thread even exists is evidence of that. People won't give McDonalds credit for anything despite the very good work they do in Ronald McDonald house.

How does this have any relevance to McDonalds food being less healthy than other restaurants? Do you go out to eat and get a bowl of spinach?

Again, the argument is not that Hamburgers are as healthy as fresh vegetables. Obviously they are not. The argument I am making is: What makes McDonalds burgers less healthy than burgers purchased elsewhere?

Well it's virtually impossible to find the micronutrient breakdown of burgers from more 'high class' joints online, but here's a pic of some Jus burgers...

jusburgerssubi05.jpg

...and here's a pic of the Maccas burger in question...

hero_pdt_double_cheeseburger.png

If you took the time to plug all the ingredients you can see there into a nutrition website there's no doubt which would be the more nutritious meal.

Breakdown of that bun compared to a Grill'd bun:

Grill'd: Traditional Bun (water, wheat flour, wholemeal flour, wheat gluten, canola oil, iodised salt, sesame seeds, yeast.)

Maccas: Big Tasty Bun :Wheat Flour, Water, Sugar, Yeast, Sesame Seed, Vegetable Oil (Rapeseed), Salt, Gluten, Emulsifiers (Mono- and Diacetyl Tartaric Acid Esters of Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids), Preservative (Calcium Propionate), Flour Treatment Agent (Ascorbic Acid)

So much more processed crap, even without the HFCS. And sugar is the 3rd main ingredient anyway.

Note I made an edit to include the Australian version since the previous one I linked was a UK burger that isn't sold here.

There are plenty of processing additives in the ingredient list of the burger you posted. Singling out the bun seems a bit weird. Your argument seems to be that it's the sugar in the bun that is the problem, but it's kind of splitting hairs if you ask me - when you are ordering your meal with an 800ml coke - to worry about how much sugar is in the bread.

Again though, sugar is not bad for you in reasonable doses, and you certainly aren't going to get too much sugar if your only source of it is hamburger buns. It's the ginormous carbonated drinks that are the real source of excess sugar.

E.G. Average McDonalds bun contains 5g of sugar. A 600ml coke contains 65g.

Last edited:
No doubt the coke is the worst part of either meal, but you were asking to compare burgers.

At least at a real burger joint you often only get fairly small servings of soft drinks - from memory the Jus Burgers outside Subi only sells 330ml bottles.

Last edited:
I never claimed that, you cretin.

You claimed "their hamburgers are no better or worse for you than a Hamburger made at a more upmarket place."

Which is arrant nonsense.

health wise, what is the difference? its a ******* hamburger.
Taste different absolutely maccas burgers taste like cardboard ******* terrible. I'd never eat a burger from maccas.
That said i get delicious towering burgers from the pub across the road from work 2 wagu beef patties the size of your fist sourdough buns the most mouth watering cheese you'll ever eat fresh big pieces of bacon and they make this fantastic house sauce that is to die for.
it costs $14 without chips its the greatest burger i've ever had.

I somehow i doubt the fact i'm a w***er when it comes to burgers provides me with better nutrition than someone eating maccas.
It's the special K argument, we all know it those certain people that will only eat special K because 'other' cereals are unhealthy. It's ******* cereal its loaded with sugar you smug bitch, I'd slap you if this was the 60's!

you want to be healthy, have a balanced diet and go for a walk once in a while.
but don't kid yourself into think a delicious mouthwatering burger (god i wish it they were open right now) makes you healthier than the poor slobs who eat $2 burgers from maccas.

Don't be a dick the price of your meal is not an indication of the nutritional value.
hell out where i live i get a 10 pound suckling pig for $230 its the s**t, great get with mates all chip in suckling pig and beer fantastic on a monday night when we're all off work. still doubt very much its healthier than fresh shortcuts from woolies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just wondered, do those with a philosophical bent against childcare ( but at least you acknowledged the influence of property values) also think dumping kids with grandparents, nannies or friends is also bad ?

It seems to me we are all quite happy for our leaders ( monarchs, politicians, business leaders) to have done this for decades, allowing future leaders to be raised in such less than ideal conditions.

But then have some kind of twisted jealous response when ordinary working people do this ?

Try joining a union if you work for Maccas, their policies in that area should have the OP putting them on a pedestal, given his loud distaste for organising.

organising is fine

organised crime and corruption is not

so now that the pricing fixing website was exposed your for massive fines and jail sentences for those involved in rorting fuel prices yes?

yes, if there is corruption

I am anti-corruption

what do you mean IF they found the website, here you are potting unions with no convictions why hold back on those running fuel companies get stuck into them?

why? because I haven't read the website. Is there a link somewhere?

what is good for the goose is good for the gander. I don't care who is involved in organised crime or corruption; the full force of the law must be felt.

what do you mean IF they found the website, here you are potting unions with no convictions why hold back on those running fuel companies get stuck into them?

I think what your not seeing is, I came from a poor area (Parafield Gardens SA).

So my view point isn't about my position today rather it is about all the barriers I faced both here and abroad. Corrupt governments, corrupt regulations, corrupt unions, corrupt businessman, organised crime etc etc. All of these things are designed to short cut the system and to favour themselves.

Life for many would be so much better without them. Unfortunately, it is these same people who form their supporter base.

https://motormouth.com.au/

seriously this is a paid service which petrol companies have been using. in fact here's a quote from the owner himself
"We’ve already had a client, a large overseas oil company, cancel a service specifically because of the ACCC action. That’s cost me $1 million"

a purported consumer group, nonchalantly mentioning finical payments were made to him in exchange price information from major fuel companies.
No collusion these companies just pay him for informing the public on how to "save" money. :drunk:

so now that the pricing fixing website was exposed your for massive fines and jail sentences for those involved in rorting fuel prices yes?

Why shouldn't fuel companies be able to charge whatever they like for fuel?

Why shouldn't fuel companies be able to charge whatever they like for fuel?

why shouldn't workers be allowed to sympathy strike?
theirs a big difference in charging what you like and collusion to keep prices artificially high.

end of their day their goals are the same, the workers sympathy strike is a form of collusion to drive their labour price up.
if you want hands off for business you must also take the reg's off the worker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back