Traded McEvoy to the Hawks, Savage and 1st Round pick to St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully all those who questioned us trading Mac saw Hickey's game yesterday. Was just about, if not as good as any game Mac has played, despite it being just his 26th AFL game and only about his 5th in the main ruck role.

Had 19 disposals (at 89% efficiency, with 8 contested), 10 hitouts to advantage, 3 clearances, 4 tackles, 18 pressure acts, 6 score involvements, pushed forward and kicked 3 goals (including one from the boundary, about 47m out! :eek:), took 8 marks (3 contested) and was just everywhere in the first half in particular, before he apparently sustained a foot injury in the 2nd half. At times it felt like he was the one keeping us in it.

Was the sort of game (probably even better actually) that many of us thought he'd be capable of late last year when he really stepped up in Mac's absence against Sydney and which he was only ever likely to play if he had the responsibility of the main ruck role (which he played for almost the whole game).

Savage has been very ordinary in these two games though and needs to pull his finger out. He's miles off the sort of footy he was playing when he was just 20 years old, when he was racking up the touches and kicking regular goals (best game of 34 possies and 4 goals, with others similar, but not as good, statistically). Started with the green jacket yesterday and would have to be a huge chance of being back in the VFL next week.

Last edited:
Hopefully all those who questioned us trading Mac saw Hickey's game yesterday. Was just about, if not as good as any game Mac has played, despite it being just his 26th AFL game and only about his 5th in the main ruck role.

Had 19 disposals (at 89% efficiency, with 8 contested), 10 hitouts to advantage, 3 clearances, 4 tackles, 18 pressure acts, 6 score involvements, pushed forward and kicked 3 goals (including one from the boundary, about 47m out! :eek:), took 8 marks (3 contested) and was just everywhere in the first half in particular, before he apparently sustained a foot injury in the 2nd half. At times it felt like he was the one keeping us in it.

Was the sort of game (probably even better actually) that many of us thought he'd be capable of late last year when he really stepped up in Mac's absence against Sydney and which he was only ever likely to play if he had the responsibility of the main ruck role (which he played for almost the whole game).

Savage has been very ordinary in these two games though and needs to pull his finger out. He's miles off the sort of footy he was playing when he was just 20 years old, when he was racking up the touches and kicking regular goals (best game of 34 possies and 4 goals, with others similar, but not as good, statistically). Started with the green jacket yesterday and would have to be a huge chance of being back in the VFL next week.
Hickey was playing a Cox-like game yesterday. Had no idea how effective he could be.

Hickey was playing a Cox-like game yesterday. Had no idea how effective he could be.
He played a similar half of footy late last year against Sydney when both he and Mac had been woeful in the first half against Mumford and Pyke, but then Mac got subbed off at half time and Hickey had the sole rucking duties for most of the rest of the match and it was like he was a new man.

He stepped up in a big way with that responsibility and started to win hitouts to advantage, clunked a bunch of marks, pushed forward and kicked a goal and was generally terrific in a bad loss and it was after that game in particular that many of us on our board here on BF started to talk very seriously about the idea of us potentially trading Mac at the end of the year, if we could get a good return, because it was pretty obvious that both Mac and Hickey would only be anywhere near their best if they had the main ruck gig to themselves.

At the time we were mainly only considering the idea if it somehow got us pick 1 and Tom Boyd (who could potentially play key forward, but also pinch-hit in the ruck, meaning we wouldn't need two pure "ruckmen" in the team), but I think it's still definitely worked out well enough as it is, especially as we got Dunstan with pick 18 and then managed to snag Longer for considerably less than we received for Mac.

Hickey also played a similar game to yesterday two years ago, when he was at Gold Coast, in just his 5th game (the day when Ablett had his 53 possies, v Collingwood, at the MCG). That day he had 24 hitouts, 19 disposals (14 contested!) and took an incredible 7 contested marks (the most for anyone in the comp in one game all season apparently), which was a glimpse of his potential. We played them the next week (when he was again good, including 2 contested marks and kicking 2 goals) so we would have had a really good look at him in what were by far his two best games for Gold Coast and of course we traded for him at the end of that year (in another deal that we were roundly panned for).

Looks like we may be in a similar position with Hickey and Longer to the one we were in with Mac and Hickey though, with both (especially Hickey) looking like they are far better suited to the ruck than playing key forward, so it will be interesting to see how that plays out. Longer may get a go sooner rather than later if Hickey's toe is bad enough though. He injured his toe in R1 last year and missed a few games with it and basically carried it for the rest of the year, so hopefully it's not the same one, or as bad an injury, as he was obviously just starting to really get rolling.

Last edited:

Hickey was very good against GWS
Savage has been terrible though. Maybe he just looked good in a good side?

Big Boy was great in Round 1. I thought he was disappointing against the Bombers but a lot had him in our best

Hickey was very good against GWS
Savage has been terrible though. Maybe he just looked good in a good side?

Big Boy was great in Round 1. I thought he was disappointing against the Bombers but a lot had him in our best
He was very good in the NAB Challenge, might just be being played out of position. Forward last week and sub this week.

Tom Hickey showed why the Saints were happy to let McEvoy go. Not a knock on the Hawks or McEvoy, more a wrap for Hickey and the courage of Pelchen and co.

Tom Hickey showed why the Saints were happy to let McEvoy go. Not a knock on the Hawks or McEvoy, more a wrap for Hickey and the courage of Pelchen and co.
Pretty much

He's caught me off suprise, played very well, really softens the blow of letting your first choice ruck leave for some assets

Hitouts to advantage 10 v 11. 3 goals. 2-3 intercept marks in D50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Way too early to judge yet, but both McEvoy and Hickey are rucking well at the moment. Savage has been a bit disappointing for mine, I thought he would relish the lack of competition at the Saints (compared to the Hawks' midfield)

I agree that Savage needs to do more but, in effect he was akin to paying a 2nd/3Rd round pick in the draft.

Would have thought the pick the Hawks actually gave up is shaping as the ball breaker in this deal and looks like a class 200+ game player

Luke Dunstan is going to be a ripper and an absolute steal when this draft is revisited me thinks

He may well play 200+ games and I hope he does, though I doubt he'd be as much help to hawthorn in the ruck as Mcevoy will be in the next 2- 3 years as we aim for more flags

During 2013 some of us were noticing a dilemma, that Hickey was looking good, but didn't really fit in the same team as McEvoy. At the time neither was really shaping up as a forward/ruck.
If we'd stuck with McEvoy we may have eventually lost Hickey for nothing if he wanted more opportunity.

Who knows ? We could have the same situation if Longer comes on. But after last week maybe Hickey can make it as a forward after all. In 2013 his kicking accuracy was dismal, but last week he was a deadeye.

I don't think the Hawks paid overs for McEvoy.

Sav was great yesterday, and Luke Dunstan (pick 18) has just been a very good player from day dot. I think both teams will be very happy with this considering Hawthorn needed ruckmen and St Kilda had Hickey and now Longer.

Savage and Dunstan had 56 possessions (@ 81% DE between them), 8 clearances, 12 marks, 2 goals and 16 score involvements between them yesterday, so this is pretty much the opposite of the disaster so many thought it would be for us when we we did the deal. The pick upgrade that got us Acres will hopefully be some really nice icing.

Savage and Dunstan had 56 possessions (@ 81% DE between them), 8 clearances, 12 marks, 2 goals and 16 score involvements between them yesterday, so this is pretty much the opposite of the disaster so many thought it would be for us when we we did the deal. The pick upgrade that got us Acres will hopefully be some really nice icing.

A lot of people have been comparing Savage to Gram. Difference in my opinion, is that Savages kicks are like bullets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back