McGovern has to stay in the side for the rest of the year

Remove this Banner Ad

FF: LeCras, Kennedy, Lycett
HF: Cripps, McGovern, Masten

Do we either?
1. Put Darling in there more often and utilize Masten as a midfielder more
2. As above but with LeCras
3. Keep it as indicated but put Darling in the midfield more

Flog Hardie is saying Freo should chase him. Is he signed up for next year? Would be spewing if he left to go play where his old man played.

They should too. But screw that, next year he'd be their best KPF by a good margin.

FF: LeCras, Kennedy, Lycett
HF: Cripps, McGovern, Masten

Do we either?
1. Put Darling in there more often and utilize Masten as a midfielder more
2. As above but with LeCras
3. Keep it as indicated but put Darling in the midfield more
With what Simmo has said recently about having flexible players and the fact that most players play all over the ground. I think Cripps, Masten, Darling and LeCras all need to be able rotate heavy minutes in the middle.

Hmm Interesting reading. Statistically he's as good as we think too apparently.

Jeremy McGovern (West Coast)
McGovern was the Eagles' top-scoring player in their win over St Kilda, kicking three goals, taking three contested marks and contributing two score assists. Over the past three rounds, he ranks 17th in the competition for total points scored. He is 554th on the ratings table.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-24/player-ratings-round-14

17th best player in the competition over the last 3 rounds = GUN
Had two shots on goal taken away from him on the weekend too, one hutchings play on for a goal and one masto being an idiot.

What has stood out to me is the Gov's on-field strut and aggressiveness, pushing the opposition around and getting into their ear.

I like it, because it reminds me of Hunter, and confirms my dream that we have the reincarnation of the ultimate swingman in our midst.

050466-adam-hunter.jpg

451021436-jeremy-mcgovern-of-the-eagles-celebrates-a-gettyimages.jpg

What has stood out to me is the Gov's on-field strut and aggressiveness, pushing the opposition around and getting into their ear.

I like it, because it reminds me of Hunter, and confirms my dream that we have the reincarnation of the ultimate swingman in our midst.

050466-adam-hunter.jpg

Does this mean he's surpassed Schoey as your fave player?

They should too. But screw that, next year he'd be their best KPF by a good margin.
Unpopular Eagles opinion:
We'd be better off trading Darling to Fremantle than McGovern. One can play as a KPD, KPF and pinch hit in the ruck, whereas the other is a bit of a tweener.

Darling for Fyfe, make it happen Woosh

Can we sustainably play Defendzie, Brown, Naitanui, Lycett/Cox, Kennedy, McGovern and Darling in the one side long term?

That doesn't even take into account Schofield.

Can we sustainably play Defendzie, Brown, Naitanui, Lycett/Cox, Kennedy, McGovern and Darling in the one side long term?

We have for the last few weeks and it has been working but only if we have 2 rucks and not 3.

Emac - Gun stopper.
Brown - Can play on smalls pretty well and can stop taller players.
Schoey - Loves a run and can play small and also play up front if needed.
Nic Nat - Very mobile and can play up front.
Darling - Is being groomed as a big bodied mid. Very quick and mobile.
Lycett - If he can play like Cox did in that he can contribute up forward and also act like an extra mid then that is handy.
Mcgovern - Can play both ends very versitle.
JK - Gun forward who is pretty quick for a forward.

We have enough versatility with our tall players that all those players mentioned can be played all at once.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

take cox out of equation and looks like darling is the only one there not needed in the spine.he is more of a roaming HFF anyway.

Add schofield take away Cox and its the perfect spine. 2 KPF, 1 Third tall, 2 Rucks, 2 KPD, 1 third tall.
I reckon it's too tall personally, but we'll see.

We have for the last few weeks and it has been working but only if we have 2 rucks and not 3.

Emac - Gun stopper.
Brown - Can play on smalls pretty well and can stop taller players.
Schoey - Loves a run and can play small and also play up front if needed.
Nic Nat - Very mobile and can play up front.
Darling - Is being groomed as a big bodied mid. Very quick and mobile.
Lycett - If he can play like Cox did in that he can contribute up forward and also act like an extra mid then that is handy.
Mcgovern - Can play both ends very versitle.
JK - Gun forward who is pretty quick for a forward.

We have enough versatility with our tall players that all those players mentioned can be played all at once.
Sure, we won a scrap against an awful 18th placed side and almost coughed up a game at home against a young side playing away.

We also got hammered by Hawthorn.

I know we have been going with this set up, but it leaves us vulnerable to running sides and particularly in the wet.

Darling isn't that mobile. He's quick in a straight line but let's not pretend he's a midfielder.

050466-adam-hunter.jpg

Hunter was overrated, I have much higher hopes for the Gov

Remove this Banner Ad

Back