McGuire said ‘Mussie’ was not a racist term

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
How can people confuse a religion with a race ? The latest beat up by the Sydney media around Eddie are confused(?) & good on Eddie foe pointing out the bleedin' obvious.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...kish-born-mussie/story-fnp04d6y-1227475651756

Referring to the Vic sports minister John Eren as soccer loving Turkish born Mussie, very clearly there is nothing racial about Mussie.

Time people were called out for confusing religion & race - Aussies don't want to be seen as racist, but religion is not any sort of deal in Australia today, & anyone trying to use their religion as a reason for special treatment is cut no slack, nor should they be.

One for Eddie IMHO.

I think it's because the religion of Islam is linked to the middle east, for most people.

If you think of a Muslim, you will generally (subconsciously) bring up a picture of a brown skinned man with a beard.

It is unusual because for most of our lives, religion has not been linked to race in such a derogatory way. But that's because as a Western society, the main religion has always been from the bible.
When you think of a Christian, you will again, conjure an image of a white male. (most people).

The problem now, is that someone will see an Indian or Pakistani man, and assume he is a Muslim.
He is being put into a category, based on how he looks. This is racism.

Anti-religion is not racism. But the hate towards Muslims, and anyone who looks like a Muslim, is.

Another example of political correctness.

I suppose the point is, why is his religion relevant?

Do you believe it's okay to call someone a wog?

Not a problem, wog is not a derogatory term in my world, in the same way as Eddies mates call themselves Mussies , I'm having lunch with a wog friend later today (her description).

I think it's because the religion of Islam is linked to the middle east, for most people.

If you think of a Muslim, you will generally (subconsciously) bring up a picture of a brown skinned man with a beard.

It is unusual because for most of our lives, religion has not been linked to race in such a derogatory way. But that's because as a Western society, the main religion has always been from the bible.
When you think of a Christian, you will again, conjure an image of a white male. (most people).

The problem now, is that someone will see an Indian or Pakistani man, and assume he is a Muslim.
He is being put into a category, based on how he looks. This is racism.

Anti-religion is not racism. But the hate towards Muslims, and anyone who looks like a Muslim, is.

Religion is not race. You have a stereotype related to beards, unable to differentiate between a person from the middle east & the Indian sub continent.

I'm observing religion is not a big issue in our country.

So its cool to bag Goodes for believing in dreamtime, and magic snakes

But not in regard to race

Can you not see how they are linked

Can you not see how your position is dumb?

I'm dumb & you trot out bagging Goodes - I'm not bagging Goodes.

Religion is not race. You have a stereotype related to beards, unable to differentiate between a person from the middle east & the Indian sub continent.

Again, why do you feel better about your self , discrimination via religion, rather via than race

You claim Australia don't want to racist. I would say the Goode's saga is proof you are wrong. Australians are happy to disagree with football bosses or pollies which claim booing makes one racist

I'm dumb & you trot out bagging Goodes - I'm not bagging Goodes.
You don't want a discussion, you want a soapbox.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You claim Australia don't want to racist. I would say the Goode's saga is proof you are wrong. Australians are happy to disagree with football bosses or pollies which claim booing makes one racist
Going to go off topic, but you opened the door.....

I'd argue the Goodes saga was never about race, as proven by the fact Rioli and all the other indigenous players doesn't get routinely boo'd. Murphy was routinely boo'd yesterday, was that about race? What about when Collingwood fans boo'd Lumumba every time he got the ball last week? No-one bitched and complained and claimed he was boo'd because he has Black skin. Just because Adam uses the colour of his skin as an avenue to have a sook about the fact that most of the football world thinks he's a flog, doesn't make it racism. Fans boo people they don't like. Saying it's okay to boo people you don't like if they have White skin, but you can't if they have Black skin is racism by definition. Why should Goodes be treated any differently to Wayne Carey because he has black skin??

I'd argue the Goodes saga was never about race, as proven by the fact Rioli and all the other indigenous players doesn't get routinely boo'd. Murphy was routinely boo'd yesterday, was that about race? What about when Collingwood fans boo'd Lumumba every time he got the ball last week? No-one bitched and complained and claimed he was boo'd because he has Black skin. Just because Adam uses the colour of his skin as an avenue to have a sook about the fact that most of the football world thinks he's a flog, doesn't make it racism. Fans boo people they don't like. Saying it's okay to boo people you don't like if they have White skin, but you can't if they have Black skin is racism by definition. Why should Goodes be treated any differently to Wayne Carey because he has black skin??
Let's not forget that Goodes displayed his utter distaste for racism by allowing himself to be appointed Italian of the year.

So many words, so many points missed.

The real point is simple; why are all those players you mention getting booed? He was a dirty flog as you say for his whole career, but it wasnt untill he stood up against racism that he started getting constantly booed.

He is booed for stepping out of his place. If he had have stayed silent like all the other Aboriginals playing then he'd be getting a smoother ride.

After all, they are to be seen and not heard, wouldn't you agree?

I guess the point is, why is he being treated worse than Wayne Carey. And why has it becomes more noticeable since he brought attention to to racism in Australia.
I'd argue he isn't being treated worse than Wayne Carey and that your memory alludes you. Following the King St incident, Carey was boo'd incessantly, and rightly so.

The real point is simple; why are all those players you mention getting booed? He was a dirty flog as you say for his whole career, but it wasnt untill he stood up against racism that he started getting constantly booed.

After all, they are to be seen and not heard, wouldn't you agree?
How childish to indirectly call me racist because I have an opposing view.

That's your opinion. My opinion is that he's only been a flog on the field, and off it, in the past couple of years, not his whole career. He's become frustrated at his declining ability to keep pace with the game and has resorted to dirty tactics on the field. The way he handled the 13yo girl certainly didn't help his cause. You claim people are booing him because he's spoken out against racism; that is your perception and interpretation rather than factual.

Even if we assume for the moment that you're correct, he is being boo'd for what he has said rather than because of the fact he has black skin. Racism is treating someone differently because of their race, not because of their words or their cause. There's a distinct difference.

Michael Long tackled racism and came out against it, he wasn't routinely boo'd.

FWIW I don't boo him, and I don't believe he deserves to be boo'd, but I don't believe that boo'ing him is racist and feel that playing the race card does nothing but cause division within the community, that's plainly obvious. Had he come out and said "please don't boo me, I find it extremely hurtful" then that would be a different kettle of fish and he'd have a lot more people in his corner. To come out and call people racist when the colour of his skin is irrelevant, is where my issue lies.

Goodes is being booed at a level that I've never seen, so consistently.

Goodes hasn't done anything that other big name players have done, other than take a public stand on racism.
So why is he being booed so heavily anytime he touches the ball? For so many games?

Of course it's natural to boo a sport star but in this particular case, there are some racists who are booing him for his stance on racism, rather than his performance as an athlete.

Another example of political correctness.

I suppose the point is, why is his religion relevant?

Do you believe it's okay to call someone a wog?
Depends if you're a wog.
Depends on context really.
Do you think it's OK for US rappers to call each other "fellow", to include the term in every second offering?
Is it OK to call someone a WASP?
When will it be offensive to call someone an Aussie or worse "white".

Mussie isn't a racist term. You're allowed to make fun of people who believe in stupid dark age fairy tales.
"God botherer" is much better as it is both non-denominational and potentially accurate, if there is a God.;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back