McGuire said ‘Mussie’ was not a racist term

Remove this Banner Ad

The simple fact is nowadays racist has pretty much become synonymous with both race and creed, you can get on your soapbox all you like about what the term originally meant. The fact is society sets the the standard and the stigma attached to racism is a social construct.

If society defines it as racism it's racist. If it makes you feel better, I concede it's "more" correct to stay religious insults are bigotry rather then racism.

As for whether religion is no big thing in Aus.....that's just pure myth making. Cronulla riots religious based laws around marriage, Muslims feeling targeted as a group, the so called "war on Christmas" and organisations defending there right to discriminate based of religious beliefs. It's quite clear it is a "big thing"

As for whether there's anything wrong with the term mussie it is not black and white just like everything else in society. My mates and I call each other campaigners all the time. If we walked into KFC and asked " could I get a large fillet box ya campaigner" things don't go so well. Just because some people in some contexts are ok with certain terms does not mean "there's nothing wrong with it" it does not mean you can use the term universally.

I understand this is the Internet and it attracts a certain amount of socially awkward people who don't understand how to behave in social environments but there's a general rule to live by: "try not to be dick" if people are telling you they have a problem with being referred to as a "mussie" instead of going out of your way trying to justify it, maybe try referring to them by their name............

I've referred to My Muslim mates and colleagues as mossies none have had an issue with it. But if they did I'd apologise and stop using the term. It's really not that hard.

Last edited:

Why is it better to have discrimination based on religion rather than race?

Religion/belief is a thought process, and while I agree it can be difficult to change, it is possible. It also brings with it a range of actions and beliefs, and I have no issue with genuine disagreement along those lines.

Race is something you're born with, and can't be changed. It doesn't inherently bring with it a belief structure or series of actions.

Sure, SOME religious discrimination is nonsense and should be discouraged e.g. 'all muslims are all bad', however disagreeing with a religions treatment of women, gays, (etc) is quite reasonable, and discrimination based on such a basis is reasonable. e.g I wouldn't put a staunch catholic in charge of an abortion clinic.

I wouldn't have thought that was a derogatory remark. It comes across as a bloke playfully jibing another. I can't say I've ever heard the term though so I can imagine it might make some uncomfortable.

Again, why do you feel better about your self , discrimination via religion, rather via than race

You claim Australia don't want to racist. I would say the Goode's saga is proof you are wrong. Australians are happy to disagree with football bosses or pollies which claim booing makes one racist

Take off your rose coloured glasses, your comments suggest you didn't even listen to opinion on the Goodes issue - I heard 'I'm not racist , but I boo Goodes because ... ' & I understand that even IF you choose to hear only what you want to hear.

Even Mark Latham gets it:
Adam Goodes and the shouting from the elite
Are we racists? Or is it just that the Australian elites privately think we're a pack of racists? And can't wait to tell us so.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/opinion/columnists/adam-goodes-and-the-shouting-from-the-elites-20150804-gir6xk?stb=fb#ixzz3iMBeAJB5

Country, have you ever considered yourself elitist ....

Last edited:
Surely Eddie meant Muzza?
img-4780asdf-jpg-2644931300057425.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'Its racial discrimination I (as a white man) cant call an African fellow the 'N' word without getting my teeth knocked out of my head'

Only in your weird stuffed up world does this make sense.
Hello Malifice, how are you? I have missed your strawmen.

I did not say what you put in quotation marks. But let me take your invitation to wander the garden path. If you, as an african american, would knock the teeth out of a white man for calling you a 'N' but would not do same man if a black man called you same then that is racial discrimination. Probably even a racially motivated hate crime.

Last edited by a moderator:

I did not say what you put in quotation marks. But let me take your invitation to wander the garden path. If you, as an african american, would knock the teeth out of a white man for calling you a fellow but would not do same man if a black man called you same then that is racial discrimination. Probably even a racially motivated hate crime.
Talk about strawmen.

As I said in the other thread I don't think Eddie is racist.

To me a racist is someone who dislikes or discriminates against someone based on their race/culture/nationality/religion etc.

I don't think Eddie has ever done that and I don't think Eddie supports that.

So I don't think Eddie is racist. Just pretty clumsy with his words but there is zero malice in what he says.

I don't think he's any more racist than my mates who occasionally give me s**t for not being able to see because of my slanty eyes.

I did not say what you put in quotation marks. But let me take your invitation to wander the garden path. If you, as an african american, would knock the teeth out of a white man for calling you a fellow but would not do same man if a black man called you same then that is racial discrimination. Probably even a racially motivated hate crime.

Jesus you talk some s**t.

Do i think Eddie means any harm by what he says - no.
Do i think he discriminates in his judgement of people- no, i hope not.
Do i think he says things that are racist - yes.
Is this more to with the fact that he has clear foot-in-mouth and spends far too much time on public airways when he should really stau quiet - yes, i hope so.

Could he do with a lot of education about prejudice and how to overcome it - yes, clearly - but so could all of this country/planet.

I think some people are a bit too precious and all too keen to distance themselves from those that make what they consider unsavoury statements. they aren't you. they don't represent you. yet you prefer to determine their meaning in the worst possible manner. and you call them divisive?

Religion/belief is a thought process, and while I agree it can be difficult to change, it is possible. It also brings with it a range of actions and beliefs, and I have no issue with genuine disagreement along those lines.

Race is something you're born with, and can't be changed. It doesn't inherently bring with it a belief structure or series of actions.

Sure, SOME religious discrimination is nonsense and should be discouraged e.g. 'all muslims are all bad', however disagreeing with a religions treatment of women, gays, (etc) is quite reasonable, and discrimination based on such a basis is reasonable. e.g I wouldn't put a staunch catholic in charge of an abortion clinic.
In my opinion religion is almost as much cultural as it is a choice and people are born into culture.

In my opinion religion is almost as much cultural as it is a choice and people are born into culture.

But your religion is not your race.

Our close neighbour Indonesia is the country with the largest Muslim population - people from Indonesia are Indonesian in my world, they aren't Muslims/Mussies.

Last edited:
Muslims call each other 'mussies' and this makes it ok for McGuire to do so as well? Surprised he hasn't started referring to black people as n***** yet.

I agree it's not an easy thing to change, but unlike race it is possible.

More importantly, I don't think it's wrong to view people different because of their beliefs, be they formed due to religion, culture or whatever.

The fact is he said what he said as a negative thing. So being a turkish muslim and liking soccer was bad? So yes it is racist and stupid. So scared the vfl wont get the armchair ride it is used to and another sport get some of the millions given to the vfl

Remove this Banner Ad

Back