McGuire said ‘Mussie’ was not a racist term

Remove this Banner Ad

It's one thing to be ignorant on a topic, it's a different thing entirely to be wilfully ignorant. If you're asking questions like this there's clearly a lot of fundamental points about culture and respect that you're missing, and I'm not prepared to give you a crash course in respecting others.
Not at all. My thinking goes beyond, to post-racism, for lack of a better term, but most are unable to let go of their own cultural norms and think beyond the square. Your response above is typical as you are unable to explain your logic in rational terms.
Even within your paradigm, whether it is 'polite' to refer to a muslim or muslims as 'mussie', who are you to make that decision? Eddie's muslim friends clearly don't have a problem with it.

Show the soles of your feet at in polite Muslim company, or maybe serve up a bacon butty to to a Jewish person, and see how far it gets you. There are culturally sensitive ways we refer to dead Indigenous people, it's multiculturalism, and generally this joint's a better place for it.

I have seen Muslims offered booze at work drinks, I cant ever remember one getting offended (and have seen more than one drink). Why would you think most Jews wouldn't just calmly say no thanks?

What is everyone meant to do? Learn the social norms for every ethnic group in Australia? This pc crap is getting way out of hand.

No more selfies. They are offensive. We need to legislate to stop this horror

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tomgara/huffington-post-takes-a-stand-against-selfies?#.nuRMLDG36

An Algerian columnist recently warned of a growing trend that could bring Islamic civilization crashing down: the selfie. More young Muslims are taking selfies, he noted, a symptom of “the diseases and the viruses of the Western world” making their way into Arab lands.

“I consider my article as an open letter to all the Islamic Ummah’s youth,” the piece said, excluding the approximately 1 in 10 Arabs who are not Muslim in the process. “It is a call to stop adopting such sick behaviors that come to destroy our traditions and the basics of human cultural identity.”

We do need to go down the path of why its unacceptable for a 'white' person to do so but not for a 'black' person to do so.
Probably because there's a long, long, long history of white people treating black people like subhumans and they're, understandably, still rather touchy about all that. Equal? Probably not. But life isn't black and white. Deal with it.

If your biggest problem in life is not being able to use the n-word then you're doing pretty okay.

I have seen Muslims offered booze at work drinks, I cant ever remember one getting offended (and have seen more than one drink). Why would you think most Jews wouldn't just calmly say no thanks?

What is everyone meant to do? Learn the social norms for every ethnic group in Australia? This pc crap is getting way out of hand.

Cheers!

r0_112_2200_1349_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Eddie McGuire reminds me of many Anglo-Celtic Australians born before 1975. Not an out-and-out Pauline Hanson racist, but racist enough to think everywhere outside the Western world is a shithole and Asians are weird.

I wasn't aware of Eddie's qualification as an ethnologist.
McGuire's qualifications are in shameless self-promotion and boganism.

Despite his efforts to hide the latter, Bogan McGuire occasionally takes control and we get comments such as this one as a result.

We scream out for those with influence to be positive role models, if they get pissed, or arrested, or stoned, or put it about a bit, there are howls of pious outrage. If they stand up for a progressive cause, or try to be role model for a minority group, it's social engineering, or playing the victim, or it's all just pc gone mad. Very strange double standard.

We scream out for those with influence to be positive role models, if they get pissed, or arrested, or stoned, or put it about a bit, there are howls of pious outrage. If they stand up for a progressive cause, or try to be role model for a minority group, it's social engineering, or playing the victim, or it's all just pc gone mad. Very strange double standard.
And your point is?

How can people confuse a religion with a race ? The latest beat up by the Sydney media around Eddie are confused(?) & good on Eddie foe pointing out the bleedin' obvious.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...kish-born-mussie/story-fnp04d6y-1227475651756

Referring to the Vic sports minister John Eren as soccer loving Turkish born Mussie, very clearly there is nothing racial about Mussie.

Time people were called out for confusing religion & race - Aussies don't want to be seen as racist, but religion is not any sort of deal in Australia today, & anyone trying to use their religion as a reason for special treatment is cut no slack, nor should they be.

One for Eddie IMHO.
problem is, we are projecting the racial element onto that word. The problem lies with the receiver, not the speaker.

And Eddie made a grave error(but that is all it was, only an error, there was zero racial intent) wrt the King Kong comment on TripleM, but a bigger error was the producer and Luke Darcy who had the 5 second gap to hit the dump button, but failed to hit the dump button and dig Ed out of the grave he made for himself. Ed is one of those fast talking advertising and marketing meretricious types, but he would not have a bad bone in his body, he just saw PR and marketing and publicity and opportunities for lucre. Thing was, the lens he saw it through, had a significant racial overtone. But he did not say it with this context at all. (how do i know? intuition.)

i dont much like Ed, but i have a bit of respect for his get up and go attitude and work ethic, and he can reap the monies and successes for all i care. he has done well in that respect, if you value that.

this was not racial, and most idiots cannot parse what he was really saying and the context he said it. stupid, yes. racial overtones, yes. was ed oblivious, yes. but he is a pretty good example of opportunity in the last half-century of C20. Just like Goodes has trod a pathway and a role model for indigenous to see, but only as positive role model. but the AFL are wrong thinking they can define and provide the opportunity to indigenous, and create pathway to the western advanced twenty-first century economy, there are much more capable minds with Pearson's CapeYork Institute and Canberra lacking. but Goodes can provide a symbol and model, but that is all he can be. As MaddAdam implied in an OP, the modern professional game has transitioned away from a game where any country footballer like Leon Baker, or Liam JArruh could move to the big smoke, and win games off their own boot. And alot of the indigenous marketing smacks of orientalism and taking advantage of a culture for marketing. like a white man doing dot paintings to sell to Sino tourists.
#PT_Barnum

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PC bleedin' bloody hearts.

Eddie's from The land of the falafel. He's a Broady boy and knows lots of mussies.
When you replace "political correctness" with "treating people with respect" it's funny how it changes conversations.

When you replace "political correctness" with "treating people with respect" it's funny how it changes conversations.
you have presumed Ed does not treat people with respect, or treats people with disrespect.

Just mebbe Ed saw an "opportunity" for Goodes to make 10k. stupid? yes! racial subtext? yes! intentional? no. oblivious? yes. Ed is harmless, he has his heart in the right place.

people picking fights where there are none. Ed is not your enemy (generic. not to you manwithnoname) take Hadley and Alan Jones down and those muppets

We scream out for those with influence to be positive role models

No we don't. Who would consider Eddie a role model let alone Tony Abbott or Adam Goodes?

No it doesn't. One person's idea of respect is completely different to anothers. Moreover some people and their idiotic ideas don't deserve respect.

Its funny how this "pc" stuff you bang on about doesn't extend to Christian fundies and other targets which are fair enough (Americans in particular). Its all arbitrary pick and choose.

you have presumed Ed does not treat people with respect, or treats people with disrespect.

Just mebbe Ed saw an "opportunity" for Goodes to make 10k. stupid? yes! racial subtext? yes! intentional? no. oblivious? yes. Ed is harmless, he has his heart in the right place.

people picking fights where there are none. Ed is not your enemy (generic. not to you manwithnoname) take Hadley and Alan Jones down and those muppets
It's more a generic comment. People bitch about "political correctness" which is essentially just treating people with respect.

It's more a generic comment. People bitch about "political correctness" which is essentially just treating people with respect.

You really don't get this. As if 18c for example is about respect. Its nothing of the sort. You could add countless examples to that.

We don't need all this stupid legislation, people can by and large get on just fine without it. You would think Australia had race riots and the KKK beating up people every ten seconds without this crap.

No we don't. Who would consider Eddie a role model let alone Tony Abbott or Adam Goodes?

No it doesn't. One person's idea of respect is completely different to anothers. Moreover some people and their idiotic ideas don't deserve respect.

Its funny how this "pc" stuff you bang on about doesn't extend to Christian fundies and other targets which are fair enough (Americans in particular). Its all arbitrary pick and choose.
I dont consider KP a role model. genius bat yet. P'raps Bojo, yes, but his genius transcends role model, who in their right mind is fit to shine the soles of his shoes?

Still reckon that racism should be based on malice.

Like I've had a lot of comments and generalisations based on my ethnicity and 99% of it has been harmless banter with no malice.

But I was born in the early 90s and grew up a in middle class suburbs of Perth and throughout school there was always more than a few other students off my the same ethnicity as I.

Even a term like Chink or Ching Chong or Gook is something I'd only consider racist based on the context and wouldn't be offended by the word on its own (though other Asians may feel different but at least I and most of my Chinese mates who were born or grew up in Australia wouldn't give a * about the word on its own).

My mother says she copped some racial abuse back when she was a uni student in Melbourne in the 70s which sounds about right. I mean I wasn't alive to compare it but Australia has changed a lot since the 70s.

So yeah Eddie's comments = no malice = clumsy but not racist.

And given this wasn't even said in a public conversation as far as I can tell I think the whole "role model argument" doesn't apply.

So yeah Eddie's comments = no malice = clumsy but not racist.

but what about the cnut who leaked it to smear Ed? And he is copping it from multiple sections now. some might be valid. some not.

but this racist epithet is BS. I am no fan of McGuire, I have bagged him remorselessly. But this is ridiculous, at his centre I would be confident presuming he is a stand-up guy, and would pull for the underdog in any circumstance.

Still reckon that racism should be based on malice.

One would think that would be rather common sense, but instances as below tend to be let slide where others (calling a policemans horse gay for example, or not making a cake for a gay couple) are not.

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2015...l-those-who-kill-us-stalk-them-and-kill-them/

Last week in Miami at Mt. Zion Baptist Church, Nation of Islam head Louis Farrakhan said he was looking for “10,000 fearless men” to “rise up and kill those who kill us; stalk them and kill them and let them feel the pain of death that we are feeling!”

And given this wasn't even said in a public conversation as far as I can tell I think the whole "role model argument" doesn't apply.

Good point. Stitch up job. Who hasn't said things in private that wouldn't be said in public regarding others? I am sure Jessica Rowe has used a few choice words to describe Eddie in private

One would think that would be rather common sense, but instances as below tend to be let slide where others (calling a policemans horse gay for example, or not making a cake for a gay couple) are not.

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2015...l-those-who-kill-us-stalk-them-and-kill-them/

Last week in Miami at Mt. Zion Baptist Church, Nation of Islam head Louis Farrakhan said he was looking for “10,000 fearless men” to “rise up and kill those who kill us; stalk them and kill them and let them feel the pain of death that we are feeling!”

Good point. Stitch up job. Who hasn't said things in private that wouldn't be said in public regarding others? I am sure Jessica Rowe has used a few choice words to describe Eddie in private
evo do you think this might be my wife's fault #myclementine and picking fights like Jake King amphetamined up on the field

Remove this Banner Ad

Back