Media alert

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If i had a nickel for everytime I heard someone say that Geelong's run of success was over.
They'll still be in the top four next year I reckon.
Going out in straight sets during finals doesn't look good for Geelong. They have the oldest list in the AFL their due to drop down the ladder soon it's only a matter of time.

josephs_79

Team Captain
Jun 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If Geelong get both Frawley and Clarke to top up the list with I wouldn't be surprised if they go a little deeper next year than this year.

Mavlions1961

Club Legend
Jan 31, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Seattle Mariners, Seattle Seahawks
Frawley has chosen Hawthorn at least that's what Radar said on SEN

Doing a Lake!!

That will probably be good for us though, probably won't get the money at Hawthorn that he would elsewhere, therefore might drop his compensation value and Melbourne won't get pick 3 but maybe get end of first round compensation.

Not the most glorious source but nonetheless another example of how the narrative has shifted for us.
Brisbane Lions will be the AFL’s next Port Adelaide
It was legendary New York Yankees catcher Yogi Berra who said: “It’s tough to make predictions, especially about the future.”

This is as true in the modern AFL landscape as anywhere; predicting the ebbs and flows of Australia’s game is a treacherous pursuit.

So it is with more than a little trepidation that I brazenly declare: the Brisbane Lions will follow in the footsteps of Port Adelaide and be the next AFL rags-to-riches story.
Greater footy minds than myself will tell you time and again that the two most important people at your club are the senior coach and the CEO. Enter Swanny and Leppa.

Greg Swann is all class. Together with Eddie McGuire, Swann built Collingwood from the ground up in the early 2000s, as they pushed into two grand finals within his first four years at the helm, and reclaimed their place among the powerhouse clubs in the league. At Carlton, Swann was instrumental in signing Chris Judd and bringing in Mick Malthouse.

Sure, parading a live lion around a footy field is probably going a little too far, but the fact that Swanny and his staff are thinking outside the box should excited fans of the club. Brisbane could ask for no better CEO; the man knows how to lead.

And Justin Leppitsch? With what he’s done in just 12 months, it’s no stretch to say that Leppa would not be far back in calculations for coach of the year. He’s calm and measured, and has already shown an ability to inspire his players and win games.

After conceding eight of their first nine, Leppitsch dragged his team back into line to finish with seven wins, including stirring victories over Collingwood, North, and Gold Coast.

But let’s be frank. Footy departments don’t win flags, players do. So how’s the list looking?

Despite last year’s mass talent departure, the blokes Brisbane brought in might already have surpassed their collective output. James Aish, Darcy Gardiner, and rising star winner Lewis Taylor have exceeded all expectations in their first year.

But that’s just the kids. Tom Rockliff, 24, Pearce Hanley, 25, and Dayne Zorko, 25, are bona fide stars with their best years ahead. Another two of their top six – Daniel Rich and Matthew Leuenberger – sat out the best part of the season, but will slot straight back in. And the latter’s absence made way for big Stefan Martin to not just emerge, but tear the competition to shreds with his mix of excellent bodywork and even better follow up work.

pauldrc

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner Brisbane Lions - Charlie Cameron Player Sponsor 2020 Dream Team Club Board Winner Brisbane Lions - Charlie Cameron Player Sponsor 2019 Brisbane Lions - Hugh McCluggage Player Sponsor 2018 Brisbane Lions - Hugh McCluggage Player Sponsor 2017 Brisbane Lions - Allen Christensen Player Sponsor 2016 Brisbane Lions - Dayne Beams Player Sponsor 2015 Brisbane Lions - Pearce Hanley Player Sponsor 2014 Brisbane Lions - 2013 Elliot Yeo Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - 2013 Daniel Rich Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Brisbane 2010 Player Sponsor
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GC Suns
Terry Wallace on Trade radio today about Brisbane's list:

FWIW, but some interesting stuff there....

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Terry Wallace on Trade radio today about Brisbane's list:

FWIW, but some interesting stuff there....

Including an admission that he was wrong about Mayes. :D

That said, as much as Terry gets mocked, that was a pretty good summary of where we are at.

Also agree with him about Merrett and Patfull going, it's not the worst thing in the world. Copping some short term pain for long term gain.

mattesideburns

Senior List
Jun 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
New York Knicks, Cincinnati Bengals
"There was no discussion [about Redden]. It was a confusion aspect from Collingwood's side of the fence"
Weird thing to say when Reddo was suddenly the headliner in the way the story was reported (though I'm not sure if Barrett reported on it himself).
I take almost every media piece on the Beams trade to come straight from Collingwood's PR department, so I'm interested to understand why there was suddenly the kind of turnaround that they needed to come out and say they never asked for him.

Also found it interesting that Wallace only talked about Merrett as a defender, even though he's played mostly forward for a few years now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Discuss the issues, don't get personal.

Edit: Better yet, do this in the right thread. Any more Patfull trade discussion posts in here will be deleted.

Jun 17, 2006
Section 43
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NFL - Green Bay Packers
Do you know that? or guessing?

Pickering in Adelaide today to speak to Aish & his family ....so not expecting that the deal is signed & sealed already (but would love it to be).
Therefore, suspect it will be Crisp.

Given that though, it could also be either of Cutler or McStay extending.

Or, Bourke signing new deal (as he is to be elevated to Senior list).

And yes ........I am guessing.

FFB1

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boronia Hawks
Assume Aish was at home for the spring break? If he was maybe Pickers was over there getting James' autograph on some documents.

Jun 17, 2006
Section 43
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NFL - Green Bay Packers
Pickering in Adelaide today to speak to Aish & his family ....so not expecting that the deal is signed & sealed already (but would love it to be).
Therefore, suspect it will be Crisp.

Given that though, it could also be either of Cutler or McStay extending.

Or, Bourke signing new deal (as he is to be elevated to Senior list).

And yes ........I am guessing.

I was correct ............ now I know how the journos do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back