Media alert

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for this post, articulates what I've been thinking and I'm sure probably a few others. I often wonder what Leigh would have done if he was coaching this group? I reckon something very similar.

James North post on the previous page with Pics is exactly what inspired my post.

I like all this and agree players shouldn't be soft - I have noted at work the younger generation are incapable of reviving feed back without going into shut down mode and long winded defenses.

But unfortunately the task as lions coach, was to unite a young group who largely have no family network around them, are getting flogged every week, have shithouse training facilities in a non footy state and are gen Y - we didn't happen to draft 'soft' players, we drafted the same sort of players at the saints and the dogs did.

That was the task, the task leppa said he was aware of in his first presser and said he wanted to make sure was never a problem again.

Plus - I don't think our players can't cop a spray, or take feed back, you don't go complaining about running a few Laps at training. Jack redden is as tough as they come, plus voss was a 'drill Sargent' type and jack loved him.

Im not willing to turn on our young players as soft and tell them to piss off in support of a guy who so far has been incapable of performing the basic role of a senior coach. I
Personally just think he doesent give them any confidence he knows what they are doing, all things considered.

Leppitsch was well regarded at Richmond and had the same demeanor and work ethic and was at a club that was on the up but was a part of bringing that club up. He learnt the craft off Matthews and then at Richmond. Richmond now have that killer instinct as a result. Hell they beat Freo and Hawthorn this year alone to show they have got it. Ours don't, we whimper when it gets tough and don't know how to respond. I could go on all day in details of what I have seen and I am so disillusioned by majority of our players that I really just can not watch them any more and it hurts. I went through the bad times of the roys growing up and I still watched them week in and week out and they still went out and bled for the jumper. This lot don't.

You now have Matthews as Coaching director who would be guiding Leppitsch no different to the last few years of Matthews coaching. So why do our players not have the killer instinct going around that other clubs have? You can not put it on Leppitsch because the same thing was happening under Voss but to a lesser extent and Voss was starting to get it out of the culture in his last year and we were seeing the benefits of it with a chance of playing finals. When they sacked Voss, this killed the culture that was just starting to become norm and it cost us another 3-4 years of it.

If the leaks are constantly happening and so far it seems to be aimed at Leppitsch and Rockliff's (if Barrett does have some truth to his rumours) hard nosed tough love approach and then Matthews war cry then you really do have too start wondering if it really is a problem with Coach\Capt or if it is the players just being soft.

James North post on the previous page with Pics is exactly what inspired my post.

Leppitsch was well regarded at Richmond and had the same demeanor and work ethic and was at a club that was on the up but was a part of bringing that club up. He learnt the craft off Matthews and then at Richmond. Richmond now have that killer instinct as a result. Hell they beat Freo and Hawthorn this year alone to show they have got it. Ours don't, we whimper when it gets tough and don't know how to respond. I could go on all day in details of what I have seen and I am so disillusioned by majority of our players that I really just can not watch them any more and it hurts. I went through the bad times of the roys growing up and I still watched them week in and week out and they still went out and bled for the jumper. This lot don't.

You now have Matthews as Coaching director who would be guiding Leppitsch no different to the last few years of Matthews coaching. So why do our players not have the killer instinct going around that other clubs have? You can not put it on Leppitsch because the same thing was happening under Voss but to a lesser extent and Voss was starting to get it out of the culture in his last year and we were seeing the benefits of it with a chance of playing finals. When they sacked Voss, this killed the culture that was just starting to become norm and it cost us another 3-4 years of it.

If the leaks are constantly happening and so far it seems to be aimed at Leppitsch and Rockliff's (if Barrett does have some truth to his rumours) hard nosed tough love approach and then Matthews war cry then you really do have too start wondering if it really is a problem with Coach\Capt or if it is the players just being soft.

It's probably a mix of the two...but the coach always gets it in the neck as a result :cool:

But, my obvious question is; don't we have procedures in place or a line of staff before a player feels the need to go to our HR dept.? o_O

It's probably a mix of the two...but the coach always gets it in the neck as a result :cool:

But, my obvious question is; don't we have procedures in place or a line of staff before a player feels the need to go to our HR dept.? o_O

I feel like there should also be procedures before the HR department leaks to journalists. :D

Actually on a more serious note, HR approaches vary massively from company to company (including the Lions as a company). Some companies have a procedure that involves direct management as much as possible before involving HR, others expect all complaints and issues to be dealt with through HR, and then there's more variants on those. Not sure where the Lions fall, but if it's the "everything through HR" it's not unreasonable for players to contacting them regularly.

Thanks for this post, articulates what I've been thinking and I'm sure probably a few others. I often wonder what Leigh would have done if he was coaching this group? I reckon something very similar.
I think Leigh has been having a fair bit of input lately.
Some of the little darlings got upset

Agree 100%

"I've stagnated here"

"I need a fresh start so I can reach my potential

The coach doesn't understand me. Boo hoo. Poor me"

What a crock of shizen.

Typical of what's wrong with society in general. Absolutely pisses me off.

"If things aren't going right for me, it's someone else's fault or a product of my environment. It couldn't possibly be my attitude or that I'm just not working hard enough to get better. Nope, I'm unhappy and I'm not taking any responsibility. It's the rest of the world that's caused me to feel this way"

:mad::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
It's an immature attitude to have isn't it. Most of us have been in rut before but running away usually solves nothing.

It's an immature attitude to have isn't it. Most of us have been in rut before but running away usually solves nothing.

But look at our club. Would any footballer say "That is the club that will allow me to play my best footy"? If West Coast are making a better offer nobody could blame Reddo for taking it. I would.

Could losing Adcock and Redden be not as bad as it seems and not worth the current verbal hand wringing.

I have been a fan of both from the start and like having both in the club still and though it does seem unlikely from all accounts that the club won't be able to persuade Jack to change his mind,I am looking at it this way.

Jed's situation is very close to that of Luke Power and though it would have been nice to see Luke stay awhile longer,he got more playing time and then a coaching gig at the Giants - nevertheless a tough call for our footy department to make but it had very little adverse effect on the team the following year - all the best Jed and thanks for the many great moments that you provided on the field over the years.

I am clinging to hope that Jack will actually change his mind but if he goes we take the draft pick and do the best we can with it - this sort of thing is going to happen at times...many will remember the debate on this board as to who we should take with our second pick in the 2008 National Draft...Beams or Robinson and the Jack Whos that followed hard on the heels of our calling the name Redden - look at the outcome in the long run there.

As for the stories and rumours getting around about others considering leaving the club - I will deal with that emotionally when and if it happens...not before and,meanwhile,I shall think about drafting Schache/Weitering and Keays and Hipwood and know that the top brass have said already that we are going after more experience (and hopefully class).

I am not one that thinks that the Lions are doomed to be cellar dwellers for years.I believe our problems this year largely stemmed from the woeful state that the tall forward troops were in for virtually the whole season due to inexperience and injury plus season long injury to the list in general - as I have posted several times over what is now years, the loss of Mitch Clark ripped a great big black hole in our tall forward position and that Brownie's retirement was looming - we had to grasp the nettle and get experienced class in as soon as possible and for whatever mitigating reasons we didn't,so therefore since Jonathan retired we have reaped what we sowed or more to the point,didn't sow.

I can see the tall forward position improving from next year and I think we can make marked improvement - as I have posted before it is really good if you support a team that is consistently strong and this plus the bad times can play out over a longer time period than just are few years or even a decade and flags are the icing on the cake as the Demons,the Dogs,the Saints(they went so close recently and still missed),the Tigers can all attest as I type this the Dockers are yet to break their duck as far as flags are concerned.

This is shown as I post the link below to the random number imaginary 18 team competition covering the first 100 years of its existence - NB I have posted this twice before so some have seen it,FWIW...but it illustrates broadly the maths that are in play.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...eam-to-win-a-flag.832696/#Av4hqgjsTtcAQhTu.97

But look at our club. Would any footballer say "That is the club that will allow me to play my best footy"? If West Coast are making a better offer nobody could blame Reddo for taking it. I would.
That's probably what it's all boiling down too, no doubt, but going out with that sort of attitude doesn't hold much water IMO. What's he gunna do, work on his form over in the WAFL....if he's got the hunger to improve, do it with the team that's been backing u from the start....or what, havnt we got the staff n facilities to get him up again?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just listened to the Greg Swan IV. He is simply unfiltered that man, the most straight talking, no BS AFL type you'll ever hear. He honestly doesent hold back, it's just the raw truth every answer.

the loss of Mitch Clark ripped a great big black hole in our tall forward position and that Brownie's retirement was looming - we had to grasp the nettle and get experienced class in as soon as possible and for whatever mitigating reasons we didn't,so therefore since Jonathan retired we have reaped what we sowed or more to the point,didn't sow.
Its not like the club didn't address this problem, its just that they recruited duds, recall, Retzclaff, Cornelius and Lisle all AFL D graders.

Just listened to the Greg Swan IV. He is simply unfiltered that man, the most straight talking, no BS AFL type you'll ever hear. He honestly doesent hold back, it's just the raw truth every answer.
Dagnabbit. Why has nobody ever referred to a Tom Rockliff presser as a Rocky IV?

Last edited:
James IV has an appropriately royal tone for the heir to the House of Aish.

Is he something of a **** with a superstitious attachment to a chain and a weakness for unobtainable redheads combined with a sometimes naive idealistic streak? Anyway had lots of potential but died way too young due to deadly southern emnity and lousy development...

(note that all of the above describes the author's impressiins of James IV King of the Scots for those whose casual readings have not taken them to Nigel Tranter's novel Chain of Destiny)

Last edited:
McLachlan confident Brisbane Lions can ‘emerge quickly’

McLachlan was in Brisbane last week for meetings with Lions officials, and attended the club’s Round 23 clash against the Western Bulldogs on Saturday.

“You’d prefer not to hear the noise (about players allegedly leaving),’’ McLachlan said.

“But I’ve got faith in the Brisbane administration. They are building a culture and a club from the bottom up so it is a place where people want to play their footy.

“Clubs lose players and move on. That’s football.

“The Lions will get a very high draft pick and they have good academy kids coming through too.

“I see guys like Jono Freeman and Harris Andrews, who is a star, as other local boys on the list with great potential.

“There’s been talk Brisbane are looking at using that high draft pick to get Josh Schache who wants to come to the Lions so that is also encouraging.

“Brisbane are regenerating.’’

McLachlan is content with Brisbane’s off-field financial form and expects them to run to budget this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back