BRISBANE’S BEST OF THE AFL ERA

B: Chris Johnson, Mal Michael, Daryl White

HB: Chris Scott, Justin Leppitsch, Michael McLean

C: Nigel Lappin, Simon Black, Marcus Ashcroft

HF: Luke Power, Jonathan Brown, Craig McRae

F: Shaun Hart, Alastair Lynch, Daniel Bradshaw

R: Clark Keating, Michael Voss, Jason Akermanis

I: Roger Merrett, Craig Lambert, Tom Rockliff, Martin Pike

I forgot Magic McLean won two b and f for the Bears only played 88 games in 7 years, injuries really got him in the end. Probably all that running through the centre wicket area did his calves. At his best he had so much time. I remember meeting him a very young Whitey and Gilbert McAdam when I was doing some work with a government ATSI unit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we are at that point in team development that if you train well you get in the best 22. I wouldn't have anyone as a lock in the best 22 and I think this is essential if we want to start our movement up the ladder. The training standards were from reports pathetic last year (esp among the senior players) as IMO they were gifted a best 22 position on the field and had no threat of losing a spot...

I would group our players into their positions and the blokes who have improved or have shown a willingness to improve and train hard will get the nod. You have to reward hard work, as it improves everyone else standards and effort.

Close absolutely has no chance of getting a game ahead of schache.
It's not necessarily Close that's holding Schache back, it's Walker and Freeman. Close has great endurance and could be a great hard running centre half forward. Completely different position to young Schach-attack

I always find "Best 22" lists bemusing and futile.
Best 22 when?
Now? Round one (4 months away)? Round 6 when they've settled? Round 22, when they have proved themselves? Round... any given week when any number can be out with injury or having a slump?

I believe there is no such thing as a best 22, and for a young team like ours, even more so.
Schache will likely be a better player than Close, but not right away. Well, except that schache is probably in better nick than Close, but Close is a better build.
For so many of our options, it's like comparing oranges with apples. And to use another turn of phrase, 'horses for courses' springs to mind.

EQ0g7Yxa6dJIFIymDWwiM6qUe5adbZNeVTrcTc07WiilWlqBkAciCnSUr-9XbA6HXqS0TLvidIpioFGfhLFtCpN4hP8mCqItwaulgkjY77QW9hdDpgNTyq8JN9l9lXCqKboOh_MQGLmOSaGWPl52ZL_IK0Si2WRfDUbfohD6FrPPJdGjIk1z=w500-h141-nc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back