Media alert

Status
Not open for further replies.
The debate seems to be around whether or not it is too early to say that Leppa has it.
And back to it then WLF, from where I sit I am happy to be on the side that suggests 'good call'. Outside of games won, there seems to be a wave of positiveness, this feeds stability which in turn should turnaround the wins. Yeah, a blood simplistic observational suggestion that ignores games won but IMO this is all part of a chicken and an egg scenario. Happy for the getting the off-field right and letting the rest [hopefully] follow.

Sure some might call it an all eggs into one basket theory but hey, Port have proven it's possible.

So again, not knowing what the clubs internal mood is, one can only assume [glass half full] that they believe their KPI's are okay and hence an extension was offered. s**t, just call it a sign of faith by both myself and the club if you want. As we have seen over past these contracts are not really that binding... well, unless you are hashtaghirdy.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think Leigh sums it up pretty well;
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ion-at-the-gabba/story-fni5f4q3-1227262411004
“It’s fair to say Leppa has been a revelation,’’ Matthews told TheSunday Mail.

“I often say that players have to believe that their dreams and ambitions can be lived out at this football club.

“Leppa has done a very good job and has a really good feel for what comes under the umbrella of ‘culture’.

“He and the football department have created the right environment for the players — it’s got to be challenging, it’s got to be stimulating and it’s also got to be comfortable in terms of you are happy to go in there every day.’’

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Sometimes competency based progression fails?

To be honest I still reckon this "apprenticeship" lark is a bit of hit and miss with coaching. I am of the opinion one has "it" or they don't.
I think it is both true that a coach "either has it or they don't" and that an apprenticeship goes a long way to influencing success. How long that 'apprenticeship' is (should be), depends on the individual.

The other thing to remember is the team built around him that is an instrument to success and we see a mix of Voss' old team (Lethal's as well if we consider GoD) and new people such as Schwab, Daly, Black and Brown (the last two growing into their roles). We didn't get the clean sweep many of us expected and that culture is just as important.

Success in coaching (or most things) is not built on the individual talents alone and Leppa seems to have learned a few things from Dimma and brought his own personality to bear.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I would have offered the extension after this season, depending on development etc
Tiny bit too early for my liking, I do believe Leppa is the right man but it's still too early for me.
But we have some very well credentialled people at the club, in Matthews, Swann, Schwabb. It is very likely not too early for them to have a very good idea if he's right for the job into the future. As James North mentioned, it's not all about results in the win/loss columns, although one could reasonably predict that they will come.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
More from G.D.'s interview with Lethal;
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/le...ne-lions-rebuild/story-fndv8d6r-1227263560149
“What you want from young players like them is enough glimpses,’’ Matthews said.

“You’d love them to come into senior footy and dominate straight away like Jonathan Brown and Nick Riewoldt.

“But mostly what you get from young key forwards is glimpses.

“As they mature, those glimpses start becoming more regular involvement and more regular contributions.

“They take time. It’s as simple as that.’’

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
335161-brian-mannix.jpg

knaf

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2008
Standing on Sacred Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Gee a whole lota love from readers for Brownie. Must have been "the best bloke to play footy in the last 25 years". Nice to see FIGJAM trending down, obviously not just Brisbane supporters who can't stand him.

knaf

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2008
Standing on Sacred Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Seriously Buckley at eight above Hird? Buckley was a very skilled footballer but did seem to have the ability of say Voss Hird or even Ricciuto to lift the whole side at critical times. I would also rank Goodes higher - a couple of his efforts on one leg in the final quarter of the last Swans winning grand final were amassing. I suppose in this company the ability to do the critical things to bring about team success is what I would use to seperate the very very good from the exceptional. Or perhaps I am blinkered on Buckley.

I agree with most of the rest of your list. I too am a great fan of Wiliams. Some things he did on a football field were extrodinary.

Its not really that surprising to see the more recent players go up in the fan vote. Would be a large number of voters there who have barely ever seen some of the guys from the early 90's (me included). People you've seen recently always tends to skew the votes. FWIW I think Brown's best is right up there with the best of them. Unfortunately we just never got to see it for a long enough period due to injuries. Had he had half the injury breaks he's had hey may have been higher on Mike's list. As it was I think the placing isn't too far off. Still though if you were choosing a guy to lead your side out or have the ball when it was crunch time there would be few better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back