Media alert

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he was decent but probably talked a bit too much during our game. Too much voice time for a special comments role, and I reckon If I wasnt a lions fan I would have been cringeing at some of the stuff he said. I still enjoyed him but reckon he'll get better at his role as time goes on.

A couple of non lions have said this to me, as a matter of fact...They are fans of JB, but reckon he is on the verge of it being too much. I also tend to agree.

I love seeing him in the media, but he seems to be on everything.......Needs to cut back a bit next year me thinks....

A couple of non lions have said this to me, as a matter of fact...They are fans of JB, but reckon he is on the verge of it being too much. I also tend to agree.

I love seeing him in the media, but he seems to be on everything.......Needs to cut back a bit next year me thinks....

My response- get a grip.

Seriously. Get. A Grip.

The hardest part about reading that was thinking, if Fitzroy did actually come back into the league I wouldn't hesitate to go for them. I love the Lions, but it makes me realise how little connection I have to the QLD heritage. Feels a bit s**t to be honest.

If in this hypothetical world where Fitzroy were reborn and the Brisbane bears were as well (eg the league went to 19 teams). Would you feel any connection to the "ex-girlfriend", if you will?

Hypothetically, i'd do the same. But yeah, it ain't reality and that's what i like to deal with. Fitzroy exist, just not in the AFL and they never will again; that's easy to accept. Also think the VFL won't happen because most teams now are moving to set up their own 'reserves' team and there won't be a place for Fitzroy in that. I'd say the 'powers that be' decided that Fitzroy ceased to exist about 20 years ago. VAFA, VFL, WAFL, SANFL...they aren't AFL so they (AFL) don't give a s**t. It's not something that keeps me awake at night.

My response- get a grip.

Seriously. Get. A Grip.

That's a poor way to disagree with a reasonably presented point of view ...

I agree with CarloLion and MacMum - he's not playing his role to the letter (the irony). He's butting in too much and speaking more than he needs to for a non-dominant commentator. He'll slot into a vibe and will get the right balance.

I love hearing him in the media and I'm so glad someone other than Lynchy goes in to bat for us with knowledge of our list and the struggles we face in Brisbane. For now - he can talk as much as he likes.

That's a poor way to disagree with a reasonably presented point of view ...

I agree with CarloLion and MacMum - he's not playing his role to the letter (the irony). He's butting in too much and speaking more than he needs to for a non-dominant commentator. He'll slot into a vibe and will get the right balance.

I love hearing him in the media and I'm so glad someone other than Lynchy goes in to bat for us with knowledge of our list and the struggles we face in Brisbane. For now - he can talk as much as he likes.

Wonder who will be game enough to tell him to butt out..(big grin)

..on sons computer, emoticons not working properly, they either go to the very start of your post that I quoted, or won't work at all, or go wherever they like, everywhere but where I want them!!!

..thanks James North

Leppa currently on SEN.
- Very good mate's with Rance and his family, talks regularly. Did state that he isn't talking to him as a 'recruiting ploy'
- Mentioned Aishy a little but nothing new really. Doesn't want to get involved in the whole contract thing.
- Seemed to spark up a little when Henderson was mentioned. While I don't think he is the answer to our forward problems, I certainly wouldn't say no.

Leppa currently on SEN.
- Very good mate's with Rance and his family, talks regularly. Did state that he isn't talking to him as a 'recruiting ploy'
- Mentioned Aishy a little but nothing new really. Doesn't want to get involved in the whole contract thing.
- Seemed to spark up a little when Henderson was mentioned. While I don't think he is the answer to our forward problems, I certainly wouldn't say no.
Caught some of it and he spoke quite well. Also talked a bit about:
- Drafting: best available first round at least. Needs base later. Spoke about McStay and Gardiner needing to be taken due to number of back line players.
- ZOB incident a little. Also hinted at a tweek in game plan and training when asked if this was a catalyst for the form change.
- Homesickness and being a family club a little and how he believes he understands it from when he first went north.
- Also learnt that Brisbane is like a country town just warmer

Another thing he talked about it was about racking up the touches and not playing to the game plan and that some players don't always get that. That some players take awhile (if ever) to get the message that sometimes its better for the team if you don't just try to rack up the touches. Think this may have been a bit about Zob.

Missed the beginning that must have been the Henderson part

SEN's articles have a tendency to be poorly written..

Brisbane coach Justin Leppitsch insists that Carlton officials did not meet with young midfielder James Aish and says he identifies with his player’s tough situation.

The highly touted teenager is believed to be on the outer at the club and keen for a move back home at the end of the season.

He has only featured in four games this year and is still playing in the reserves this weekend.

"It didn't happen. That's what we've said. You wouldn't come out that hard if it did happen,” said Leppitsch on SEN radio regarding the reported meeting.

“There are rumours everywhere at the moment. Every club talks to other players, that's just fact, depending on their level of interest.

“Even after two years myself, I felt homesick at Brisbane. I know where James Aish is at.”

Leppitsch’s predecessor Michael Voss ended his time as coach at the Lions in a bitter stoush with the board, something he would not like repeated.

Mick Malthouse is going through a similar situation at the Blues with the two parties in disagreement over whether the club is in a rebuild.

“One thing that's really important is a clear understanding with your board,” said Leppitsch.

“No one likes saying the word 'rebuild' - no one likes using it.

“The cycle is there - everyone knows about it. Clubs just need to hold their nerve and stick with it.”

After a horrendous start to the season the Lions have won two games in a row and the relief around the club after the first was obvious.

“There's more smiles on your faces and more belief in what you do,” said Leppitsch.

“We've seen the highs and lows this year. Nothing's ever as good as it seems and nothing's ever as bad as it seems.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cool article with Nick Robertson in the Courier Mail today. Robbo18! ought to grab a hard copy from someone.

Best quote from it is that he's acutely aware that if everyone plays their roles - we will be hard to beat.

I really really like the way this kid goes about it!

I like when he says "if we all play our roles we can be hard to beat". Pretty much backs up what Leppitsch was saying last night in the Coaches Box.
If I remember the quotes from the time correctly, this is the realisation that Vossy said the 2001era Lions team had during the famous match against Essendon. It's what Leigh had been saying the whole time and it sort of came to a head during the loss to Carlton the week prior.

I like that the talk now is starting to be about roles rather than positions or lack of players for key positions. I think it partly explains why a team like the Bulldogs can be competitive in most games they play -players do their job for the team. We still need the key position players to either develop or arrive but those who are here now can make a difference now. The small forwards have shown this in the last couple of weeks - playing their role well.

I think Leppa, like a good coach should, is looking beyond the headline stats to what needs to be done by a player in any given situation. We become instantly much harder to beat when each player does their job. In a couple of cases we probably cost ourselves goals because players did the team thing against Port but that is much more preferable to the dozens of goals that we don't get when players are working hard but too individually.

If I remember the quotes from the time correctly, this is the realisation that Vossy said the 2001era Lions team had during the famous match against Essendon. It's what Leigh had been saying the whole time and it sort of came to a head during the loss to Carlton the week prior.

I'm not sure it counts as much in modern day footy. His theory that if more players on our team beat their opponent than lose the team will win doesn't really apply in modern day footy when you end up having half a dozen opponents in a match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back