Media Rights could be worth 1.6 billion in 2016 (The Age 17/2)

Remove this Banner Ad

The vast majority of NRL games are played on Sunday; Monday night is much easier to fixture.

Monday nights are both difficult to fixture when a majority teams play either on Friday or Saturday, they are also shitty times for people to turn up to the ground.

Simply not correct. The NRL basically has 2 games on Sunday - http://www.nrl.com/portals/nrl/RadEditor/Documents/2014telstrapremiershipdraw_v2.pdf

Our media partners are all connected in a convoluted way - if you notice the NRL has gone with a Sunday Night option in the past, and into 2014 and surprise surprise, the AFL implements it for major games this season.

If you notice, the NRL works its fixture to avoid clashes of games. On sundays where it looks like the 2 games overlap, the exclusive channel 9 game is shown on delay so from a TV perspective, there is no clash.

Sure, the right games have to be scheduled for Monday or Thursday night games, but the crowds will be ok on all past evidence but the value to a broadcaster could be huge.

Telstra got an IP game as part of the current deal. Its the reason why you can get 9 games on the Tbox, but not on the Xbox or other Ip platforms.
[/quote]

Yep, but to truly test the market it needs to be available to everyone, on all platforms especially PC where still people access the internet the most. although the trend is moving away.

It has to be easy to project to a TV, so PC's/laptops a must with easy HDMI out options. Smart TV apps are also a must.

Simply not correct. The NRL basically has 2 games on Sunday - http://www.nrl.com/portals/nrl/RadEditor/Documents/2014telstrapremiershipdraw_v2.pdf

Our media partners are all connected in a convoluted way - if you notice the NRL has gone with a Sunday Night option in the past, and into 2014 and surprise surprise, the AFL implements it for major games this season.

If you notice, the NRL works its fixture to avoid clashes of games. On sundays where it looks like the 2 games overlap, the exclusive channel 9 game is shown on delay so from a TV perspective, there is no clash.

Sure, the right games have to be scheduled for Monday or Thursday night games, but the crowds will be ok on all past evidence but the value to a broadcaster could be huge.

I am not sure how I would feel about that. Given I have foxtel I love how all games are live, however, you can't obviosuly watch 2 games at the same time. I guess with the NRL, they have 8 games a week (as opposed to 9), they have weekly Monday night football and the advantage that their game telecast only lasts 2 hours (as opposed to about 3 for the AFL).

The only way (as I see it) for the AFL to have 9 games a week with no overlap is Thursday night (1 game), Friday night (1 game), Saturday (3 games back to back), Sunday (3 games back to back), and Monday nights. I doubt that will ever happen, however I guarantee you TV ratings would increase - whilst obviously crowds would soften.

Steadily decreasing with St Kilda's fortunes perhaps.

You have to take into account that the Saints have been a serious challenger for a decade (2004-2012) 5 prelim appearances in that time. The club has been due for a dip, in fact, the Saints are dropping off at a time that will allow them to rebuild more strongly than Melbourne and Footscray who have been burdened by the Gold Coast and GWS. Whilst I don't for a moment believe that Saints will be back competing within 2 years, the ground work commenced in 2011 ensuring that the club should see a turn around by 2016.

St.Kilda has also managed to drop in membership, even though the club has enjoyed a significant period of winning seasons, this I believe can be attributed to poor management and excuses made by the board instead of reasonable measures to grow the club.

With stronger leadership and a community reengagement program, the saints should be able to bring back many of the disenfranchised fans, in which I have no doubt will see the club realise its status of being a large club.

In terms of the actual broadcasters, I really can't see it changing. Both 7 and Fox have invested too much to be outbid now IMO. Also given Channel 10 and 9's lack of money, I think we'll have those two for more years yet.

Just when you think the rights can't go for any more, the media companies will surprise you and pay overs. I think given that live sport is becoming more not less important to networks, you'll find that 7 and Foxtel will be happy to pay whatever premium the AFL care to charge.

AFL is so cheap (at least to attend) compared to professional sports in North America. I wonder how it stacks up $ per viewer.

In terms of the actual broadcasters, I really can't see it changing. Both 7 and Fox have invested too much to be outbid now IMO. Also given Channel 10 and 9's lack of money, I think we'll have those two for more years yet.

10 are the wild card - absolutely off the rader without sport.

Nice article in the SMH on Saturday about IPTV and its future impact on media and TV rights.

Viewers welcome IPTV as a broadcasting game-changer

With most of his time dedicated to looking after the Australian Football League, Gill McLachlan uses any spare moments to catch up on another of his sporting passions, American football's New England Patriots.

Like an increasing number of fans, McLachlan uses his computer to watch the exploits of star quarterback Tom Brady through so-called internet protocol television - IPTV.

The AFL deputy chief executive, who is tipped to take the top job when Andrew Demetriou steps down, has little choice in how he watches the American NFL, with IPTV and internet video delivery the best means for Australian fans to get detailed coverage of the NFL from afar.

But the growing importance and popularity of IPTV is set to shake up the world of sports broadcasting closer to home.

The popularity of IPTV and the increasing trend of splitting broadcast rights between different providers poses a big challenge to Australian broadcasters such as Nine Entertainment and Seven West Media, which rely on popular sports such as NRL, AFL and cricket to boost their wider broadcasting schedules.

Internet television looms as a growing rival to television networks - both free-to-air and pay - which are inking increasingly expensive deals for the right to telecast the big sporting codes. But those codes - while still banking on big deals with the television networks - are also eying deals with digital broadcasters, which offer a growing and potentially lucrative revenue stream.

In Australia, not only do sports generate significant revenue for television networks - almost enough to cover the considerable cost of broadcast - but they also create goodwill with viewers, known as the halo effect.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/view...gamechanger-20140307-34cq0.html#ixzz2vpE7Gcro

Across all major sports in Australia, television advertising revenues total roughly $405 million annually during match broadcasts, analysts estimate.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/view...gamechanger-20140307-34cq0.html#ixzz2vpEdAgbt

The AFL and NRL official apps for smartphones and tablets, developed by Telstra, have been downloaded 1.8 million and 800,000 times respectively. Telstra will also launch a laptop streaming subscription for the NRL this season.

The AFL, meanwhile, has maintained laptop streaming rights. ''It'll be interesting to see in the next rights deal, if they do really get some good thinking behind what that 10-year road map looks like and they say, 'we need to have more ownership of this infrastructure because it will become core to how we sell rights going forward','' Deloitte head of digital agenda Damien Tampling says.

''One does beg the question on whether [codes] go and approach someone like IBM, SunMircoSystems Cisco, some of these guys that have all the software and infrastructure and IPTV distribution know-how and learnings, and say to them 'we think to build this it's going to cost us $25 million to $30 million, could we possibly do it where you guys pay us and we give you a sponsorship?'''

Australia's anti-siphoning laws protect sport on free-to-air to an extent, but in a world of exorbitant prices, networks may have to reach out to smaller players, or to each other, for joint-venture rights deals.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/view...gamechanger-20140307-34cq0.html#ixzz2vpElx5H4

But broadcasters have one big advantage over competitors nipping at their heels: the TV screen.

The overwhelming majority of Australians still watch traditional broadcast TV and until the NBN unfolds, the audience reach is limited.

''We get really excited about all this awesome technology, but a lot of people quite like sitting on their couch, watching their large screen TV, and watching sport in HD and enjoying the experience,'' Diddams says.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/view...gamechanger-20140307-34cq0.html#ixzz2vpEvBLGP

Interesting article quoting advertising guru Harold Mitchell on sports broadcasting free to air versus pay & the anti siphoning list:
"Pay TV is trying to trick the public and policy makers with a call for the current system to be replaced with a 'dual rights' scheme where free-to-air and pay TV rights for listed sports are sold separately," Mr Mitchell said in a statement.

Responding to Mr Mitchell's comments, Mr Maiden said Mr Mitchell had "mischaracterised the dual rights reforms proposed by subscription television."
"Under our proposal, free-to-air television would be guaranteed the right to acquire free-to-air rights to all events on the anti-siphoning list," he said.
"Sporting bodies would merely be free to deal directly with subscription television for subscription television rights.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/batt...-heating-up-20140402-35xv9.html#ixzz2xhyyZbTD

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the reason the NRL game is shown on delay on Sunday is to lead in to the Nine News bulletin.

Interesting story in Rear Window on back page of the Fin Review today. If you are subscriber the link is

http://www.afr.com/Blogs/Rear Window#9423cf66-107b-11e4-b3cf-14c51a21d935

I'm not, so I will type up a few things I found interesting.

Gyng laces up for AFL weekend bonanza

The next deal to broadcast AFL from 2017 and beyond just got much more interesting.

The big news is that Nine Entertainment Co - newly nationalised with its Adelaide and Perth stations - is expected to bid for two games per week. As it seeks to catch Seven in the soutern states David Gyngell is likely to seek a Friday night blockbuster and a Saturday game that includes one of the four South and Western Australian clubs.

Most recently the focus has been on Ten's plummeting fortune. Most recently the media focus has been on Ten's current boss. Hamish McLennan who has reportedly expressed his intention to make a grab for part of the AFL pie. He's also hinted (depending on the day) at daring plays for super rugby, ocean swimming, dwarf throwing, Japanese chess, wheelchair racing and Prince George's coronation in 2062.

Analysts are dark on Seven West Media shares because the network has no upside on its biggest sport property, either it will lose it and suffer a ratings catastrophe, or it will have to outlay massive dollars to bid for the entire roster and risk on selling surplus games to competitors.

... For the broadcaster/s to write enough ad dollars to match its outlay, an absolute maximum of five of those matches could be on free to air. Probably four even

.... Around three months ago. AFL House was intimating it might go to market and nail down the next rights period before Christmas. That's no longer the case, formal negotiations will now open around April net year. Some say the delay may be related to Ten's precarious cash position.

2016-2020 TV rights deal starts being negotiated with the various broadcasters very soon. A sign off is expected after April next year.

It would be very wise for the AFL to price in, and allow for proceeds from only 8 games a week for a season or two at the start of the TV rights deal..

Unless Justice Middleton makes a very clear ruling that virtually can't be challenged in favour of ASADA, then this thing is going to drag on for 2015 and 2016 as ASADA will fire up the investigation again, tell the AFL to piss off and work at its own pace.

Essendon do not deserve to be in the competition. They have hurt the AFL so much.

Your probably right - but if the AFL agree with you, then it will have a decent impact on the negotiating process and the value of the rights.

It would be interesting if the broadcasters insert an Essendon clause into the deal, being able to adjust their payment downwards if the Essendon matter isn't fully resolved when a deal is struck.

surely its time the AFL went its own way with online content?
offering streaming passes inside australia including smart tv apps?

They would be looking at sometime down the track but I think the next TV deal will be the last big one unless the TV companies believe that they still need live sport to help as a halo for the other programs..

surely its time the AFL went its own way with online content?
offering streaming passes inside australia including smart tv apps?

It would increase the commercial risk for the AFL to do that. Telstra pay X dollars and bear that risk themselves. For an organisation like the AFL that like to plan their expenditure years in advance it's not bad business to accept the fixed amount for 5 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back