Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Soccer at this ground is a visually poor spectacle, I found it hard to watch on TV. Just looked weird. So much open space on the sides and the crowd looks so removed from the action.

Fence line after fence line and it just looks messy.

It's what ever they used to remove the Paint that killed the surface not the actual League players themselves.
You mean like copious amounts of water? Given it's a chalk/paint mix, they basically drench the areas with water. You can't remove all of the paint or you make it soggy but it gets rid of a large amount.

You mean like copious amounts of water? Given it's a chalk/paint mix, they basically drench the areas with water. You can't remove all of the paint or you make it soggy but it gets rid of a large amount.
Would water make the grass go yellow then die?

Soccer at this ground is a visually poor spectacle, I found it hard to watch on TV. Just looked weird. So much open space on the sides and the crowd looks so removed from the action.

Fence line after fence line and it just looks messy.
I laughed when Victorians were saying the MCG should host the final of the 2022 World Cup.
Ummmm, because of the sheer enormity of it and the seats of the grand stands being too far away, the ground doesn't even reach FIFA World Cup compliance.

Suncorp, ANZ Stadium, Allianz Stadium and Etihad Stadium are the only stadiums in Oz which are ready today for a world cup.
Adelaide Oval too if they shut off the hill (no standing, all seated at world cup)

Cricket gives AFL greenlight for Easter blockbusters at the MCG

Cricket Australia on Thursday gave football the green light to fixture its now traditional MCG Easter blockbusters over the weekend of the Sheffield Shield final. CA chief James Sutherland returned to Melbourne following the Lord's Test and immediately delivered that message to AFL boss Gillon McLachlan.

The green light was given in the understanding of a pending long term agreement which would allow the AFL permanent access to the MCG each year for an extra weekend in March. The deal is yet to be reached but will involve a multimillion dollar financial settlement between the AFL and Cricket Australia.

Fairfax Media understands a tripartite agreement between the AFL, the MCC and Cricket Australia will ensure football wins long-term tenancy of the MCG for the last two weekends of March from 2016.

Record Soccer Crowd at the MCG this evening

Top 4 Crowds of 2015

Real Madrid v Manchester City - 99,382 - IntChampCup - Association Football
Australia v New Zealand - 93,013 - ICC Cricket World Cup - Cricket
New South Wales v Queensland - 91,513 - State of Origin - Rugby League
Collingwood v Essendon - 88,385 - AFL Season 2015 - Australian Rules Football

Last edited:
Record Soccer Crowd at the MCG this evening

Top 4 Crowds of 2015

Real Madrid v Manchester City - 99,382 - IntChampCup - Association Football
Australia v New Zealand - 93,013 - ICC Cricket World Cup - Cricket
New South Wales v Queensland - 91,513 - State of Origin - Rugby League
Collingwood v Essendon - 88,385 - AFL Season 2015 - Australian Rules Football
Unless you're Channel 9's Origin coverage, then the World Cup game didn't count :p

I laughed when Victorians were saying the MCG should host the final of the 2022 World Cup.
Ummmm, because of the sheer enormity of it and the seats of the grand stands being too far away, the ground doesn't even reach FIFA World Cup compliance.

Suncorp, ANZ Stadium, Allianz Stadium and Etihad Stadium are the only stadiums in Oz which are ready today for a world cup.
Adelaide Oval too if they shut off the hill (no standing, all seated at world cup)

You say the MCG isn't fit to host World Cup games but then mention ANZ Stadium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're ignorant to FIFA's rules.
That's a bloody useless post. If you're going to claim someone is ignorant to something, EDUCATE THEM. FIFA has a lot of rules.
What a waste of everyone's time getting that notification and reading that post.
WHICH rules make the MCG not OK to host World Cup games? With https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_2022_FIFA_World_Cup_bid telling us that "Due the quality of the stadium, and the stadium's capacity, it is already in FIFA standards, and was proposed to host the opening match for the tournament, in addition to group stage, round of 16, quarterfinal, and semifinal matches", can you reconcile said rules (which you didn't bother to quote when mentioning them) to the understanding given by the Wikipedia article that the MCG is already at FIFA standard for a World Cup match?

See how I took an extra 1-2 minutes to write my post and it's actually a useful contribution to the thread and moves it along, and nobody has to ask me to expand on the 5 words I originally posted so that the discussion can continue?

/rant

That's a bloody useless post. If you're going to claim someone is ignorant to something, EDUCATE THEM. FIFA has a lot of rules.
What a waste of everyone's time getting that notification and reading that post.
WHICH rules make the MCG not OK to host World Cup games? With https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_2022_FIFA_World_Cup_bid telling us that "Due the quality of the stadium, and the stadium's capacity, it is already in FIFA standards, and was proposed to host the opening match for the tournament, in addition to group stage, round of 16, quarterfinal, and semifinal matches", can you reconcile said rules (which you didn't bother to quote when mentioning them) to the understanding given by the Wikipedia article that the MCG is already at FIFA standard for a World Cup match?

See how I took an extra 1-2 minutes to write my post and it's actually a useful contribution to the thread and moves it along, and nobody has to ask me to expand on the 5 words I originally posted so that the discussion can continue?

/rant
seats (back of stands) too far from the pitch.
Im not wasting time to find the exact FIFA legislation.
It's the exact same stuff that tells me Adelaide Oval can't have the hill open as it needs to be 100% seated.

You're ignorant to the poor quality of ANZ Stadium's turf. You can't see over your anti-vic agenda.
turf is easily replaceable. (look at what happened in Boise last week where they put a grass surface over an artificial turf for a 1 off game)

seats (back of stands) too far from the pitch.
Im not wasting time to find the exact FIFA legislation.
It's the exact same stuff that tells me Adelaide Oval can't have the hill open as it needs to be 100% seated.
See how you took three seconds to EXPLAIN that. I didn't ask for exact legislation, just something to indicate you actually wanted to make the discussion work and not just sound like a know-it-all prat telling someone they're ignorant without even helping to change that for them.
That's not wasting time, it's USING time to make your post USEFUL.

The MCG was in the 2022 bid to host matches up to semi-final matches. It wouldn't have been there if those in the know had said that it wasn't suitable. Perhaps they don't use those seats which are too far away. Similar to not using the hill at AO.

See how you took three seconds to EXPLAIN that. I didn't ask for exact legislation, just something to indicate you actually wanted to make the discussion work and not just sound like a know-it-all prat telling someone they're ignorant without even helping to change that for them.
That's not wasting time, it's USING time to make your post USEFUL.

The MCG was in the 2022 bid to host matches up to semi-final matches. It wouldn't have been there if those in the know had said that it wasn't suitable. Perhaps they don't use those seats which are too far away. Similar to not using the hill at AO.
Having said that, FIFA does like to change rules to back up the world cup anyway.

There was a rule stating that you could not have more than 2 stadiums in 1 city, and only 1 city could have 2 stadiums at that.

Qatar won the bid with SIX stadiums in Doha, and the country is so bloody small I think 11 of the 12 stadiums are in the greater Doha area.

So FIFA is obviously happy to ignore their rules and change them when it suits them. Im just going off the 2010 (or maybe even 2006????) rules.

Having said that, FIFA does like to change rules to back up the world cup anyway.

There was a rule stating that you could not have more than 2 stadiums in 1 city, and only 1 city could have 2 stadiums at that.

Qatar won the bid with SIX stadiums in Doha, and the country is so bloody small I think 11 of the 12 stadiums are in the greater Doha area.

So FIFA is obviously happy to ignore their rules and change them when it suits them. Im just going off the 2010 (or maybe even 2006????) rules.

So FIFA could ignore the "too big" rule if it exists?

Brilliant so we're ignorant of outdated rules.
Whatever.

So FIFA could ignore the "too big" rule if it exists?
I'd say FIFA has some "absolutes" and a number of "ideals", and so long as you meet the "absolutes" and a quota of the "ideals" a few other things can be not worried about. This, I think, will become more and more prominent in world events (Olympics, FIFA WC, etc) in order to ensure that countries aren't spending rediculous amounts of money for 4-6 weeks' worth of competition, and then having it all go white-elephant or becoming a further financial drain. For instance the London Olympic stadium was required to have a post-Olympic plan in place - as opposed to venues from Athens, only 8 years earlier, currently being in total disuse and disrepair.

On the other hand, how many existing venues were there for the Qatar World Cup when the bid went through...oh yeah, moeny talks hey :p

MCG are taking the piss with the 99,000 odd figure they put up on friday night for the soccer.

The G has been known to bump up crowd numbers for the spectacle, another example is boxing day in the ashes, broke a record.

I have been to grand finals and i can assure you that the crowd on friday night was no where near in the vicinity of 99,000.

A piss take.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back