Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I got to the ground at about 5, got in fine and there wasn't more than 2 seats together on level 2.

They do at Etihad and AAMI Park. It's just the MCG wanted to be different. It's backfired.
All this rubbish about bombs and crap. They set a bomb off in them lines yesterday thousands would be dead. You'd need a check point for the line to the check point. It defeats the purpose of this thing.
There's more to it than that. Set it off at the stadium and you risk ruining the structure of the MCG, which would put potentially more lives at risk.

Alot of the crowd were buying tickets at the game, and knowing how tough that can be at the MCG on a cricket day alot of those that missed the start probably still would have. It was reminiscent of the match at the SCG where Kerry packer told them to throw open the gates.

The main solution to solve the delays would be to double the amount of people wanding around the ground - and especially outside of the busiest gates 4/5.

I got to the ground at about 5, got in fine and there wasn't more than 2 seats together on level 2.

There's more to it than that. Set it off at the stadium and you risk ruining the structure of the MCG, which would put potentially more lives at risk.

Alot of the crowd were buying tickets at the game, and knowing how tough that can be at the MCG on a cricket day alot of those that missed the start probably still would have. It was reminiscent of the match at the SCG where Kerry packer told them to throw open the gates.

The main solution to solve the delays would be to double the amount of people wanding around the ground - and especially outside of the busiest gates 4/5.
They have admitted that they were prepared for only 48k so chaos when nearly 34k more turn up is not that surprising fence or no fence.

They do at Etihad and AAMI Park. It's just the MCG wanted to be different. It's backfired.
All this rubbish about bombs and crap. They set a bomb off in them lines yesterday thousands would be dead. You'd need a check point for the line to the check point. It defeats the purpose of this thing.

Punt Road isnt a target either, the G IS.

They would need something fairly significant to do structural integrity.

Why aren't the same measures at other stadiums? This just stinks of the MCC trying to protect themselves from insurance costs or something.

It'd be a lot harder to set off a bomb inside the stadium when your bag is getting checked 20m away from it rather than right at the entrance. More open space would lower the impact of an explosion, and less chance of structural damage to the stadium itself which could cause issues if it started collapsing with people inside it, not to mention the panic and attempted mass-exodus which would likely happen.
That's the theory, far as I can tell...

That makes sense, but there's still the problem of what these security arrangements will do to mitigate the risks of a bombing when an event is almost over. I left last night about an over early and the exists to the security fence had been opened up, so there was nothing to stop a terrorist from waiting til the end and just waltzing in and doing what they like inside the stadium. They did have some Securecorp guards standing around twiddling their thumbs, but they can't be expected to have the ability to do anything should things get out of hand.

The worst thing about this isn't just the massive, deflating lines, but the view. It's so cool being up on that level of the GSS and looking out through the submarine-circle windows, seeing people milling about, everyone coming and going... it's lively. This sort of takes away from that.

Disappointing and I really hope they end up taking this thing down, as proactive as they're being with it. I'm sure it'll end up alienating plenty of people after just Richmond - Blues alone.

Yeah I'll probably go round one with a visit to the pub beforehand and see how that goes. Probably won't bother with too many big MCG games if I have to get there earlier.

Has the afl said anything about the security gates? Do they have the power to take them down for rd 1 or isn't it up to them?

Yeah I'll probably go round one with a visit to the pub beforehand and see how that goes. Probably won't bother with too many big MCG games if I have to get there earlier.
Friday night games could be a headache for too many people.

If you work in the city, it works well as it was. You finish work at 5, you've had a long week, so you have some drinks and tea in the city and by 7:30 you're done. You can mosey on to the MCG, get in, and miss the first ten minutes at the most. Most people would get there at a good time, and it's a good night.

That – or people go straight home from work, to home, and then take off to the footy.

What happens when people don't have enough time to go home? What happens when people sacrifice their dinner and extra drink or two? People are going to be angry and the extra 20-40 minutes it takes to get into the venue will take its toll.

Friday night games could be a headache for too many people.

If you work in the city, it works well as it was. You finish work at 5, you've had a long week, so you have some drinks and tea in the city and by 7:30 you're done. You can mosey on to the MCG, get in, and miss the first ten minutes at the most. Most people would get there at a good time, and it's a good night.

That – or people go straight home from work, to home, and then take off to the footy.

What happens when people don't have enough time to go home? What happens when people sacrifice their dinner and extra drink or two? People are going to be angry and the extra 20-40 minutes it takes to get into the venue will take its toll.

Hahahahah , no time between finishing work and getting to start of the game. Like every Friday night game ever in Perth...

Seriously though, back on topic, the fence needs to come down, not for these reasons, but just because it won't stop jack...

They will get more efficient at doing the checks, in the long run it wont add any more than about 5 minutes to the process of getting in. The delays at the BBL game had many contributing factors, people didnt realise it would be happening, security havent had much practice managing it and there were a lot more people than expected at the event.
If a 5 minute delay getting into the event will stop you going to support your team your not a real fan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They will get more efficient at doing the checks, in the long run it wont add any more than about 5 minutes to the process of getting in. The delays at the BBL game had many contributing factors, people didnt realise it would be happening, security havent had much practice managing it and there were a lot more people than expected at the event.
If a 5 minute delay getting into the event will stop you going to support your team your not a real fan.
Highly doubt it unless they just carry on with weaker security.

You don't have to go to games to be a real fan either. There's plenty of reasons these days to not go to the footy and instead watch from the comfort of your couch. This fence is one of many.

The MCC is the most overrated thing in the country.

An MCC membership is the best value sporting membership in the country IMO.

At the moment I'm paying around $330 for an 18 game general admission membership to watch the worst team in the AFL and in comparison I'm also paying $508 annually to get a walk up first level seat into almost any event at The MCG. Usually just by going to the AFL finals the membership pays for itself.

An MCC membership is the best value sporting membership in the country IMO.

At the moment I'm paying around $330 for an 18 game general admission membership to watch the worst team in the AFL and in comparison I'm also paying $508 annually to get a walk up first level seat into almost any event at The MCG. Usually just by going to the AFL finals the membership pays for itself.
Isn't it essentially one thousand dollars for an MCC membership?

That might include every event that occurs at the ground but the reality is, you have to pay a further 40 bucks for Socceroo tickets or line up at 5am to get a seat at the Grand Final. With a waitlist on top, it just seems a bit overrated.

Even the notion that its for the 'elite' or whatever is totally laughable. Half the time it's just bored bogans who want to feel elevated and families in ski jackets with no personality. The footy live is losing the special culture where one bloke would crack up two entire bays with cuss-less, but cutting and witty yells. Yet the MCC has never had that in my experiences.

The people I know with MCC memberships go about six to ten times a year and I wonder what the point really is? Especially when half the Melbourne sides are playing at Etihad.

I'm a concession so it's warped, but $350 for an AFL Membership is stellar. I would rather pay a hundred bucks and go to see Liverpool, without lining up early, on top of that.

Isn't it essentially one thousand dollars for an MCC membership?

That might include every event that occurs at the ground but the reality is, you have to pay a further 40 bucks for Socceroo tickets or line up at 5am to get a seat at the Grand Final. With a waitlist on top, it just seems a bit overrated.

Even the notion that its for the 'elite' or whatever is totally laughable. Half the time it's just bored bogans who want to feel elevated and families in ski jackets with no personality. The footy live is losing the special culture where one bloke would crack up two entire bays with cuss-less, but cutting and witty yells. Yet the MCC has never had that in my experiences.

The people I know with MCC memberships go about six to ten times a year and I wonder what the point really is? Especially when half the Melbourne sides are playing at Etihad.

I'm a concession so it's warped, but $350 for an AFL Membership is stellar. I would rather pay a hundred bucks and go to see Liverpool, without lining up early, on top of that.

Initially it is around $1,100 for the first two years as you have to pay the sign up fee and this has reduced to $508 per year for me now as a restricted member since I've paid the sign up fee. This essentially gets me in for free to all Cricket Australia and AFL events except for the AFL Grand Final and subsidised entry for other promoters, so as you said for Soccer matches I would pay a subsidised fee of around $45 instead of $100 plus that members of the general public would pay.

If you follow a side that is an Etihad tenant like mine is, then the value obviously isn't as great as it could be as I have to buy a membership to get in there too, but I probably still end up in front just from attending AFL Finals and Cricket. The people who use it sparingly probably only have it for networking or social uses.

It will be interesting to see how the MCC goes from next year on with the total number of members being increased by up to 50,000 over the next 5 years. Most of the people in the MCC are just your normal footy fans from my experience, minus the Bogans.

So far in my 3 months as an MCC member I've been to 2 AFL Finals, got a GF ticket (thanks to them releasing 500 tickets to restricted at 1pm), 3 days of the test & a couple of big bash games. With a full H+A AFL season and some more international cricket I'll get value well above what I paid.

Hey guys for international t20 against india can you buy general admission ones at the gate . I just looked online and the cheapest tickets were 100 bucks http://resale.ticketmaster.com.au/A...ickets/Tickets/1776453?track=25004F13AA5113C5
Try the official ticket-seller: http://premier.ticketek.com.au/events/T20SA0215/venues/MCG/performances/EMCV2016629/tickets
Adult $35-odd.

Why would Ticketmaster be selling tickets for a MCG match?
It's Ticketmaster Resale, whatever that is. Sounds somewhat dodge to me.

MCG= A cricket ground.
MCG members get priority tickets.
Club members don't get dedicated seats.
I'd negotiate a better deal or build a true AFL stadium rather than a rented one.
ps. Is wembley stadium owned by cricket?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back