Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Good call. Shame if it stays changed, always loved the historic MCG siren.
More of a shame if the wrong team wins a GF because the umpires don't hear it over the 100,000 spectators and someone gets a score in...

maybe so they heard it unlike last week
Both games I went to, I could barely hear it. ('09 Semi vs Collingwood, '12 Prelim vs Hawthorn)

More of a shame if the wrong team wins a GF because the umpires don't hear it over the 100,000 spectators and someone gets a score in...
Don't worry, the result will get overturned on the Tuesday.
AFL already set that precendant.

According to the MCG's twitter all they did was increase the volume of the siren, not change the model of the siren. This was in response to a question about the MCG changing their siren.
Not aware of a change. Might have been because we increased the volume due to the issues from the previous week.

According to the MCG's twitter all they did was increase the volume of the siren, not change the model of the siren. This was in response to a question about the MCG changing their siren.
So basically they buggered something up and didn't just have it at full volume the week before which would have been the smart thing to do...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the prelim only half the speakers were seeming to work on the MCC side. In AFL members you couldn't hear a thing, was a massive echo during the anthem. From what I heard it sounded like they used the backup siren, I know before the game they sound the siren to test it and at the MCG there are two distinct ones.

Visited Australia numerous times and would consider myself well-travelled, however the MCG is the most impressive stadium I've had the pleasure of watching a live match at.

I went along and despite the big crowd, I thought it went very well. Possibly a once in a lifetime chance for some to get a behind the scenes look at one of the world's iconic stadiums. Here are lots of photos:

Cricket Viewing box

CAM00978_zps6176f915.jpg

CAM00993_zpsb7c01c73.jpg

CAM00994_zpsd30f6ee8.jpg

CAM00996_zps4111324f.jpg

Nets below the viewing box

CAM01000_zpscc3933b0.jpg

CAM01001_zps9efbd59b.jpg

CAM01002_zps95c0f225.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back