What the heck? Melbourne draftee Interviews

Hot Pocket

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah but private schools produce arseholes. Kind of sucks that we have to submit state school kids to that kind of toxic environment just to make the AFL

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah but private schools produce arseholes. Kind of sucks that we have to submit state school kids to that kind of toxic environment just to make the AFL

I really don't think it matters and that public schools would produce roughly the same ratio of arseholes. It just seems to me that kids accepting these scholarships is less about them getting prepared for the draft and more about them (or, more likely, their parents) being eager to accept a five-figure per year education for free.

Preparing for these interviews would all come down to common sense and you've either got it or you haven't.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I would be surprised if this was true this year as Paul Roos was always very hands off with the interviews preferring to let Maxfield handle the interviews and supposedly Maxfield always went quite easy when he was interviewing players. It would not surprise me one bit of Roos approves of this particular tactic as he isn't the sort who approves of making a person feel uncomfortable or belittled as that isn't how he gets the best out of his players.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I came across this article from 2003.

About Brock McLean and his experience during the draft camp.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/10/03/1064988406510.html

"We did the psychological test, which was a written one. They said there were no wrong answers; I think it's more about your personality. I didn't understand some of the words in it, I kept having to put my hand up."

Vintage Bwock-head McWean here.

I doubt it. With APS schools throwing scholarships around like confetti to practically anyone who has made the TAC squad in their area, it's not like private school means that much anymore. At the end of the day it's still mainly about getting a kick and having the mental strength to cope with the requirements of AFL football, not about being an old school tie network.
Pathetic politics and old boy mentalities is why the draft is a complete crock of s**t. Don't believe the hype. A scary percentage of kids get where they are on surnames and friendships.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Pathetic politics and old boy mentalities is why the draft is a complete crock of s**t. Don't believe the hype. A scary percentage of kids get where they are on surnames and friendships.

Care to elaborate? Besides father-son picks of course, do you have any specific examples of kids getting 'where they are', with regards to the draft, because of their 'surnames and friendships'?

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Care to elaborate? Besides father-son picks of course, do you have any specific examples of kids getting 'where they are', with regards to the draft, because of their 'surnames and friendships'?

Come on mate, be a bit more cynical. This is the biggest boys club sport in the country. Ever played footy in the country?

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Come on mate, be a bit more cynical. This is the biggest boys club sport in the country. Ever played footy in the country?

Come on mate, be a bit less patronising.

I was never drafted. In my experience, the politics (in all sports) occurs at the junior elite level. By draft age, it's equal-opportunity. If a club thinks you can help them, you get picked. If not, you don't. And unless you've got any examples of this not being the case, I've got no reason to 'be a bit more cynical'.

Sep 25, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't know whether this particular story is true, but I know from speaking to a few mates who've done them that Melbourne have a heck of a reputation for curveballs during the interviews. Put them in really awkward positions and ask blunt questions that they wouldn't expect.

I don't see a real problem with it though.

How would you feel if someone asked you those questions at a job interview?

If the rumours are true about Choco asking Dusty whether 'he was stupid for not finishing school', then I'd personally tell Choco to shove it and that I wouldn't be interested in playing for him or his club.

Respectful behaviour is a two-way street - by all means questions should be challenging and difficult, but certainly not disrespectful.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
How would you feel if someone asked you those questions at a job interview?

If the rumours are true about Choco asking Dusty whether 'he was stupid for not finishing school', then I'd personally tell Choco to shove it and that I wouldn't be interested in playing for him or his club.

Respectful behaviour is a two-way street - by all means questions should be challenging and difficult, but certainly not disrespectful.
I was referring to the stuff I've been told, not the OP directly. I don't like some of the questions being mentioned but in my case I was just referring to curve ball but not insulting or downright inappropriate questions.

Sep 25, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I was referring to the stuff I've been told, not the OP directly. I don't like some of the questions being mentioned but in my case I was just referring to curve ball but not insulting or downright inappropriate questions.

I agree about curve ball questions having their place, and that 'respectfulness' can often be a grey area. :)

Interestingly enough, Choco must have liked Dusty's answer to his hard-line questioning, as didn't PA offer Richmond picks 8 & 9 that year for the Tigers' pick 3 (Dusty).

Goes to show how effective using that type of questioning can be!!

tropicaltiger

🏆2017 🏆2019 🏆2020
Jan 4, 2002
cairns
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Snakes
what a storm in a teacup, if a young kid cant handle a few bizarre, uncomfortable and curly questions in an interview at 17... how the hell is he going to handle the pressure of 100,000 screaming fans and the intense pressure of a grand final at 18 if the situation arises... or even the hard slog of his first pre season....chuck em in the deep end i say...

Engimal

Cancelled
10k Posts North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor Pantskyle Minecraft Shiny Penny Ruby
Apr 27, 2010
Tasmania
AFL Club
North Melbourne
what a storm in a teacup, if a young kid cant handle a few bizarre, uncomfortable and curly questions in an interview at 17... how the hell is he going to handle the pressure of 100,000 screaming fans and the intense pressure of a grand final at 18 if the situation arises... or even the hard slog of his first pre season....chuck em in the deep end i say...

If there's derogatory questions regarding their intelligence or sexuality, how is that a storm in a teacup? That isn't something anyone should have to face in an interview because it's very disrespectful.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
If there's derogatory questions regarding their intelligence or sexuality, how is that a storm in a teacup? That isn't something anyone should have to face in an interview because it's very disrespectful.

How respectful do you think their opponent will be in their first game of footy? And keep in mind footy is not a run of the mill job, you can't compare it to going for an interview to push paper at an insurance company.

tropicaltiger

🏆2017 🏆2019 🏆2020
Jan 4, 2002
cairns
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Snakes
interview schminterview, they are picked coz the club wants to know if they can help them in their quest for premiership glory as well as a good fit for team harmony, marketing etc...

.... think of someone going to a big brother TV gig, would expect questions bout sexuality, intelligent and habits being very high on the agenda... and lets face it an extroverted, very intelligent lesbien who likes collecting spiders and keeping them as pets is probably most likely to get the gig...:)

Engimal

Cancelled
10k Posts North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor Pantskyle Minecraft Shiny Penny Ruby
Apr 27, 2010
Tasmania
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How respectful do you think their opponent will be in their first game of footy? And keep in mind footy is not a run of the mill job, you can't compare it to going for an interview to push paper at an insurance company.

It's a professional environment. You can't just say, "it's footy" and then allow homophobic comments and questions. That's never okay.

Cylon7

Club Legend
Jul 9, 2008
Canberra

In a professional sport in 2013, a young player of 18 should be able to expect respect and professionalism from the AFL system. Bullying and intimidation is sad coming from senior coaches/ administrators especially given that they themselves have often already received so much from the system.

How exactly does the way you resend to a few juvenile questions predict the way you play a game of football? Where are the studies to support this? How a young person responds to questions such as these is a product of their verbal skills, experience, maturity etc, not the way they kick a ball or the man they will become.

A coach or recruiter that can gain the respect of a young player will probably have the brains and ability to get the most from their recruits.

Please rid the game of bullies.

treefingers

Cancelled
Jan 20, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What bullshit. It's a job - these players are people, not animals for our entertainment. They're just doing their job like anybody else.

And I fail to see how someones ability to handle an interview with Choco Williams determines how they'll hold their nerves on the footy field.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
What bullshit. It's a job - these players are people, not animals for our entertainment. They're just doing their job like anybody else.

And I fail to see how someones ability to handle an interview with Choco Williams determines how they'll hold their nerves on the footy field.

Bit different to most jobs. The career is so much shorter, there's so much more scrutiny, they get paid much more than 99% of the population, they need to be incredibly fit, focused, mentally tough, sacrifice pretty much all of their personal life, the list goes on. Their "job" is much much different than nearly anyone else's and should be treated as such.

Well composure under pressure is a general trait, and if the player will ever be in the media asking questions such as this is not a bad way of seeing how they may perform.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bit different to most jobs. The career is so much shorter, there's so much more scrutiny, they get paid much more than 99% of the population, they need to be incredibly fit, focused, mentally tough, sacrifice pretty much all of their personal life, the list goes on. Their "job" is much much different than nearly anyone else's and should be treated as such.

Well composure under pressure is a general trait, and if the player will ever be in the media asking questions such as this is not a bad way of seeing how they may perform.

At the same time, respect should still exist in the environment. Professional football clubs are a mix between actual footy culture and professional workplace culture. It's a meeting point, not this binary. Decency should transcend income or status.

Cylon7

Club Legend
Jul 9, 2008
Canberra

Most people fresh from school and home at 18 mature and gain confidence given space, time and encouragement.

Perhaps if people had empathy they might remember how daunting life can be at this age and how much they can grow and change with respectful and intelligent mentors.

The system needs to catch up with the new century or perhaps it will go the way of the nfl.

The story about Grundy with Neeld is one of the funniest football stories you will hear

They should write a book about the questions and answers from draft camp over the last 10 years

Back