What the heck? Melbourne draftee Interviews

Remove this Banner Ad

Wish we employed this tactic before picking up Harry O!

These guys are lining up for a job at the age of 17-18 to pursue a career that will earn them somewhere between 60k first year - 1 million a year throughout their career?

Might need to accept that they will get asked some tough questions and that AFL clubs are essentially a business looking for the most valuable employee they can find?

These guys are lining up for a job at the age of 17-18 to pursue a career that will earn them somewhere between 60k first year - 1 million a year throughout their career?

Might need to accept that they will get asked some tough questions and that AFL clubs are essentially a business looking for the most valuable employee they can find?

Any idea what rights are? Just cause a job is highly paid or important doesnt mean you can just bypass minimum workplace standards

Hilarious how everyone thinks Brodie Grundy is the interview king, when he got taken at- what, pick 18? - after being a consensus top three pick on talent. All you guys saying you would have done the same thing as Grundy in the interviews would have slid from pick 50 to pick nothing. He's lucky he can play football, because clearly 17 clubs think he's a *******.

Hilarious how everyone thinks Brodie Grundy is the interview king, when he got taken at- what, pick 18? - after being a consensus top three pick on talent. All you guys saying you would have done the same thing as Grundy in the interviews would have slid from pick 50 to pick nothing. He's lucky he can play football, because clearly 17 clubs think he's a *******.

He's barely a "*******." Seems a pretty intelligent guy actually and someone who doesn't fit that dull, boring mould that 90% of footballers are in. A young man having the self-confidence to stand up for himself isn't a bad thing. And even if it means his ego is massive, since when has an ego overrode talent? The only egotists axed, traded, or delisted were cut for other reasons (not being good enough, being too old, list-clogging, asking for too much money, being injury prone, doing something that embarrasses the club). And that's even if you jump to the huge, and really unfair, conclusion that Grundy thinks of himself as pretty good.

Brody Grundy will be the best ruckman in the competition in five years. Natural footballer with rare athleticism, height, and co-ordination. Roves his own ball when his taps are too heavy or placed too far (which is rare).

So again, if anything, I reckon Melbourne will be the ones looking like dipshits for not taking him. Again. I don't think the Pies rue picking him up...

You've written three paragraphs about his footballing ability justifying his selection by Collingwood, which is arguing against a point I didn't make. I said that he was top three in the draft pool for footballing talent, and got selected at 18 because his interview style made him a much less attractive draftee. If you'd like to form an argument against that assertion, be my guest. His ability to rove his own ball has nothing to do with it (and nor, might I suggest, does the club that I support, but then that's bigfooty's favourite straw man argument, isn't it?).

I don't care that he's a good footballer. My point is that talking like a smart arse in a job interview (which bigfooty appears to be idolising) does not improve one's chances of getting the job.

You've written three paragraphs about his footballing ability justifying his selection by Collingwood, which is arguing against a point I didn't make. I said that he was top three in the draft pool for footballing talent, and got selected at 18 because his interview style made him a much less attractive draftee. If you'd like to form an argument against that assertion, be my guest. His ability to rove his own ball has nothing to do with it (and nor, might I suggest, does the club that I support, but then that's bigfooty's favourite straw man argument, isn't it?).

I don't care that he's a good footballer. My point is that talking like a smart arse in a job interview (which bigfooty appears to be idolising) does not improve one's chances of getting the job.

In a job interview most candidates are applying for a position with an employer they chose....

Lucky he can play football? The kid is already doing quite alright without football. He has got his head screwed on, more than about 790 other players in the AFL.

Found a nice little quote from Mick Ablett on Grundy the other day. I thought it was fitting for the thread

''I think he enjoys the fact that some people can't quite get a handle on him. I've watched people interview him, and as much as they've thought they're running a test on him, he was running one on them at the same time.''

Well personally I hope more top 3 talent draftees slide for so called poor interviews, only benefits the team he slides to as we are building a footy team to win games of footy are we not?

was top 3 at one point- but back issues and most clubs aversion to drafting hyped young ruckman- kreuser being the perfect example-dominate junior but never can make the leap to AFL level- meant that in reality it was a riskier selection.

-but you wouldn't want to let facts get in the way of your 'assertation' would you?

Ballsy move by the pies and so far paying dividends.

Dreamons wish they drafted that well- scully, watts, trengrove, lolzzzzzzzzzzz

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was a bloke a few years back, dominated and I think won some medal for Vic Metro. But he was 170cm tall, never got a look in even though he was killing it in juniors.
Chad O'Sullivan finished 2nd in the 2002 Tac cup's Morrish Medal and didn't get drafted, Melbourne were the only club to interview him for only a rookie spot which they didn't take. Currently playing for North Adelaide, they have him listed at 175cm

His ability to rove his own ball has nothing to do with it (and nor, might I suggest, does the club that I support, but then that's bigfooty's favourite straw man argument, isn't it?).
Dreamons wish they drafted that well- scully, watts, trengrove, lolzzzzzzzzzzz

Congratulations on using a straw man argument right after I pointed out what a waste of time it is. Really helping the debate along there mate.

But those clubs seemed to bait him into being a prick. Choco Williams and Melbourne ask hard questions for a reason – they think it can divide and represent people in an endearing or negative way. They seem to like someone who stands up for themselves, thinks quickly, and doesn't stand down. I reckon they would've liked a young man like Grundy being able to put the hierarchy aside to basically say "hey come on, don't hang s**t on me – because I can hang s**t on you."

And footballing ability means everything.

No one cares if footballers are w***ers.

Who cares even if Grundy has a huge ego? He's already a good footballer and has a fair bit of promise.

Maybe that is the downfall of a proud, astonishingly old club like Melbourne.

You can accuse people of fallacies but the thing is, you're committing them too. No club drafts entirely on interviews – they just alter perceptions and add elements to risk and reward. Grundy dropped down the order for plenty of reasons: like a potentially SA-bound Aish did, like a short Taylor did, like a disappointingly tested Acres did, like an unfit Cameron did.

You can accuse people of fallacies but the thing is, you're committing them too. No club drafts entirely on interviews – they just alter perceptions and add elements to risk and reward. Grundy dropped down the order for plenty of reasons: like a potentially SA-bound Aish did, like a short Taylor did, like a disappointingly tested Acres did, like an unfit Cameron did.

Perhaps I haven't articulated my point very well. My point is this: there's a bunch of Grundy fanboys on here saying "Yeah, Grundy knows how to interview, he showed those bullies, if I was at the draft camp I'd do it exactly the same way he did because that's how you be a man, rah rah rah!"

Grundy's interview style saw him slide down the order, and quite significantly too I'd say, on the available evidence. As an exceptionally talented footballer, he slid from pick 1-3 down to 18. Were he not an exceptionally talented footballer, he'd have slide from pick 50 to the SANFL.

Thus, all those chest thumping earlier in the thread about what a legend he is and that all draftees should adopt his interview tactic are utterly misguided.

That was my point.

Perhaps I haven't articulated my point very well. My point is this: there's a bunch of Grundy fanboys on here saying "Yeah, Grundy knows how to interview, he showed those bullies, if I was at the draft camp I'd do it exactly the same way he did because that's how you be a man, rah rah rah!"

Grundy's interview style saw him slide down the order, and quite significantly too I'd say, on the available evidence. As an exceptionally talented footballer, he slid from pick 1-3 down to 18. Were he not an exceptionally talented footballer, he'd have slide from pick 50 to the SANFL.

Thus, all those chest thumping earlier in the thread about what a legend he is and that all draftees should adopt his interview tactic are utterly misguided.

That was my point.

Nothing to did with the injuries he had?

Grundy is a smart kid and a nice kid, unlike most of the other w***ers and simpletons in the AFL, lots of people with a below average IQ like yourself seem to automatically think anyone who is smart has a big ego. Perhaps it just helps people like yourself to sleep at night and feel secure. Grundy certainly does not have any ego what so ever and is one of few AFL listed players that is a actually a decent human being,

On a side note I find it highly ironic that a Melbourne fan is giving people a lecture about something draft related.

Any idea what rights are? Just cause a job is highly paid or important doesnt mean you can just bypass minimum workplace standards
That argument is bullshit. Are we going to get the union in for unfair dismissal after they are delisted? Or give coaches bullying and work place training for giving a player a spray at half time?

I'm also pretty sure most kids wont be asked to tape up a broken nose and get back out there like they are expected to in the AFL. they AFL is very different from a normal workforce and should be treated accordingly, anyone who thinks otherwise has no clue.

Nothing to did with the injuries he had?

I'm not the world's most avid draft watcher, but I don't recall that being listed as a particularly major issue at the time, no.

lots of people with a below average IQ like yourself seem to automatically think anyone who is smart has a big ego.

I don't know Grundy at all. I'm telling the chest-thumpers in this thread that the conclusions they've drawn from the information they're providing are illogical. Odd that you would accuse me of having a low IQ, however, given that you don't know me, either. A rather glaring piece of hypocrisy in the space of two sentences, on your part.

On a side note I find it highly ironic that a Melbourne fan is giving people a lecture about something draft related.

I find it ironic that a person accusing me of having a low IQ would then stoop to an Ad Hominem argument based on a fallacious appeal to association. Congratulations on fitting so many logical fallacies into a single sentence! Good day, sir.

I'm not the world's most avid draft watcher, but I don't recall that being listed as a particularly major issue at the time, no.

I don't know Grundy at all. I'm telling the chest-thumpers in this thread that the conclusions they've drawn from the information they're providing are illogical. Odd that you would accuse me of having a low IQ, however, given that you don't know me, either. A rather glaring piece of hypocrisy in the space of two sentences, on your part.

I find it ironic that a person accusing me of having a low IQ would then stoop to an Ad Hominem argument based on a fallacious appeal to association. Congratulations on fitting so many logical fallacies into a single sentence! Good day, sir.
Two things re Dusty and Choco a lot of people might think Choco had a fair insight and I think Tommy Hafey had a saying the dumber the player the better the footballer

That argument is bullshit. Are we going to get the union in for unfair dismissal after they are delisted? Or give coaches bullying and work place training for giving a player a spray at half time?

I'm also pretty sure most kids wont be asked to tape up a broken nose and get back out there like they are expected to in the AFL. they AFL is very different from a normal workforce and should be treated accordingly, anyone who thinks otherwise has no clue.

So its good enough for our military but not some who play a kids game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back