Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2004
SEQLD
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
BBFFC, Southport AFC
Hi guys,

What are your thoughts on the guernsey the Lions wear in Melbourne? Is the red strip well received or are 'roy supporters more receptive to the 56-73 guernsey? Would you prefer the FFC logo to a lion?

Thanks

I don't think the red vs. maroon issue matters too much at all, although I like the red. The red jumpers were a small gesture by the Lions that started in 2008 to try and win over disaffected Fitzroy fans (at the time there was actually a strong push for the Lions Vic jumpers to be the red FFC jumpers after the huge success of the heritage jumper worn twice in 2007, but the Club took the more conservative route).

Wearing an FFC logo jumper would be far more likely to win old Fitzroy people over - but it would be divisive for existing Lions supporters in Brisbane and in Melbourne. Personally I think we should wear an FFC logo jumper in Melbourne once a year regardless - preferably against a traditional rival like Collingwood. I don't think anyone could really complain too much about that.

However, if a clear majority of Brisbane Lions members supported it (which I don't think would be the case), I would also be in favour of trialling having the FFC jumper as the jumper Brisbane Lions wear in all Victorian games (whether maroon or red doesn't really matter to me - perhaps maroon would actually be better to be closer to the Brisbane home jumper).

I would be interested to know if there are any old Fitzroy supporters who don't follow Brisbane or don't follow them closely that think that Brisbane wearing an FFC jumper in Victoria on an ongoing basis would be enough to win over their support?

I don't think they ever wore the 56 jumper as it had a different coloured logo
but they looked better in the maroon jumpers for the 5 seconds I saw
before switching the telly over to murder she wrote

they could wear aunt nellys tea cosy
I'm not interested in hearing about them anymore

and I resent being called old

Don't know if you are being serious or not, but just in case any FFC fans do take offence - the old reference is just a force of habit (reflecting more that Fitzroy haven't been in the AFL for almost 20 years - obviously the Club itself is doing pretty well at the moment in the VAFA).

I would be interested to know if there are any old Fitzroy supporters who don't follow Brisbane or don't follow them closely that think that Brisbane wearing an FFC jumper in Victoria on an ongoing basis would be enough to win over their support?

If it had happened in the handful of years after Fitzroy was gone I would have said yes, but a lot has changed since then and I doubt that would sway me.

I'm in agreeance with Last of the Roys . The Lions should wear a red FFC logo jumper in Melbourne once a year against a traditional Fitzroy rival. Preferably Collingwood, but any of Carlton, Essendon or Richmond would be OK too.

For the rest of the Lions' Victorian matches, the following jumper should be worn. Hopefully in 2015 the Lions will finally get their jumpers as they should be.

brisbane2.gif

Wear Maroon in Qld, red in Vic and mix it up for the rest. It would have been perfectly logical to do this from 1997 but for whatever reasons which are beyond my knowledge as an outsider, it never happened. I thought the red FFC was the best design going around at the time - I had the pleasure of wearing a similar jumper for Hectorville FC (in Adelaide) during my junior days and enjoy seeing it whenever Brisbane decide to don it again.

I think the gold stripe was just the Club trying something a bit different to see how it looks (also differentiates the jumper from other FFC jumpers the Lions have worn - hence more likely to sell).

It reminds me a bit of the proposed Fitzroy Bulldogs merger jumper (although I think that had a thick gold stripe below the FFC emblem) from back in 1989.

Anyway, I wonder if they will also bring out the gold shorts that Fitzroy wore when colour TV first came in? That would be real '70's nostalgia!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went on the Brisbane Liona web site and watched the video how they were saying it would be honour to wear the jumper of this period then I saw the yellow stripe. Why do they have to change things when they are "honouring the past." If they did this in 1997 without the stripe I would have been happy with the stripe not sure but now too much water has gone under the bridge for me to get me back. If it was a traditional red jumper I would buy one for sure

I thought there was a year when the yellow stripe did exist in jumpers maybe very early year or two post switch to red/yellow/blue?

Also on the ealeir discussion as a 32 yo royboy and brisbane member I'd much prefer if the brisbane Lions wore their standard 'premiership' colours for all games aside from enforced clash jumper matches and from one "FFC" red game each year against an old vfl side in victoria.

Tbh the red jumper wi lion has no history to me and is therefore meaningless. Would much prefer one FFC match (a jumper from the past) and the rest in the premiership jumper.

I don't mind it.

Had Fitzroy remained in the AFL, it might have been something that would have worn at some point anyway. All clubs are introducing home, away and clash jumpers now to sell more merchandise. I imagine Fitzroy would have done the same.

Even in the VAFA, Fitzroy has a clash jumper.

I went on the Brisbane Liona web site and watched the video how they were saying it would be honour to wear the jumper of this period then I saw the yellow stripe. Why do they have to change things when they are "honouring the past." If they did this in 1997 without the stripe I would have been happy with the stripe not sure but now too much water has gone under the bridge for me to get me back. If it was a traditional red jumper I would buy one for sure
At the end of 1996 did you just choose North melb to follow? how did that come about? im interested to find out about that Fitzroy fans did.. did some give the game away? some follow Brisbane? or others pick another team?

At the end of 1996 did you just choose North melb to follow? how did that come about? im interested to find out about that Fitzroy fans did.. did some give the game away? some follow Brisbane? or others pick another team?

Adam Muyt, author of a Fitzroy book called "Maroon and Blue" conducted hundreds of interviews with Fitzroy officials players, members and supporters for the book after the merger. He made the following conclusions:

- at least 40 percent of Fitzroy supporters have been lost to AFL football.
- between 5-10 percent of Fitzroy supporters now follow another code or lower levels of Australian Rules football as their primary football experience.
- no more than 5 percent of Fitzroy supporters now follow another AFL side, including a few hundred that went across to North Melbourne.
- over 40 percent of Fitzroy people support the Brisbane Lions, but may not be necessarily paid up members.

A 1998 survey conducted by those opposed to the merger with Brisbane that showed just 27% of Fitzroy people following the Brisbane Lions.
The article quoted former Fitzroy Football Club secretary, Bill Atherton, as saying, ‘…there’s a solid 70% block who still didn’t go across’.

Adam Muyt, author of a Fitzroy book called "Maroon and Blue" conducted hundreds of interviews with Fitzroy officials players, members and supporters for the book after the merger. He made the following conclusions:

- at least 40 percent of Fitzroy supporters have been lost to AFL football.
- between 5-10 percent of Fitzroy supporters now follow another code or lower levels of Australian Rules football as their primary football experience.
- no more than 5 percent of Fitzroy supporters now follow another AFL side, including a few hundred that went across to North Melbourne.
- over 40 percent of Fitzroy people support the Brisbane Lions, but may not be necessarily paid up members.

A 1998 survey conducted by those opposed to the merger with Brisbane that showed just 27% of Fitzroy people following the Brisbane Lions.
The article quoted former Fitzroy Football Club secretary, Bill Atherton, as saying, ‘…there’s a solid 70% block who still didn’t go across’.
Interesting why they went over to North Melbourne? is it cos they had just won the flag?

I'm a very, very, casual football follower, but don't have an affiliation to the AFL or any of its' clubs.
If you don't mind me asking, how ld were you at the time of the merger in 96?
must have been tough in 01-03 seeing the lions win 3 in a row? did you at all have a soft sport or enjoy those premierships?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back