Competition Melbourne Heart rebrand (Melbourne City)

Remove this Banner Ad

Very interesting point raised by Smeagle about colours, uniqueness, and ownership in Australia as opposed to in England.

I guess we have the benefit of Aussie Rules having a different uniform makeup. Hoops, stripes, sashes, panels, chevrons, yokes, monograms, different widths of each... Even rugby has those elements. Soccer kind of doesn't. It's got hoops and stripes and coloured sleeves but the differentiation kind of seems to come via socks and shorts. West Ham and Villa, Southampton and Sunderland and Stoke, Chelsea and the Toffees... whereas here, the closest shave comes with the Suns and Crows. Even then, they play around with the hues so much that even if Gold Coast had stripes and Adelaide kept their hoops, you'd still barely associate them.

So there is that notion of ownership. Clubs here aren't traditionally pooled together. You have a lot of mingling in England. That's through geography. And promotion and relegation, bundles of clubs, and the FA Cup. Whereas here, state leagues even had really distinct colourways. I mean there's a side in each of the traditional big three competitions that had black and white stripes (basically), but how many more similarities are there? Souths and South and if you want to stretch it, North Adelaide? Richmond, Glenelg, and kind of sometimes when they want Claremont?

Whatever, regardless it's going to happen and it always was. You don't invest millions in what's nothing more than marketing and PR to not actually market your product. Sydney FC should change that dated logo, look at their ethos, and calculate their colourway and what they represent. They'r a little too bland right now. Maybe Sydney's too sectionalist. But that's not the topic for here. What is, is that Sydney FC really need to provide their own identity and if they were well run, Melbourne City could give them a leg up.

I always liked them in the dark sleeves too. Reminds me of the good ol' days. But I guess we all prefer the era we cared most in:
part2_juninho.jpg

r74790_210407.jpg

You know, I'm on the fence as to whether this is gonna work. It's certainly a culture-shock for the Australian sporting culture. We'll wait and see...

Simon Hill - lifelong City fan and purveyor of Englishisms in Australian football - cannot call FC the Sky Blues anymore, which single-handedly solves the moniker issue. (does any fan outside the media really refer to them as such anyway? Like 'Lions' is to Subi, or 'Falcons' to the Cardies).

As a Victory fan, I'll call them either the Sky Blues, just "Sydney", or something I'll get carded for repeating here :p

There is no reason - with the right and reasonable differentiation of secondary and tertiary colours - The Sky Blues can't coexist.

Does different shorts and socks count as differentiation? Because that's all that appears to be on the table right now.

(Minor colour embellishments like piping on the shirt would not be enough for my money...at a bare minimum I'd look for contrasting sleeves)

Does different shorts and socks count as differentiation? Because that's all that appears to be on the table right now.

(Minor colour embellishments like piping on the shirt would not be enough for my money...at a bare minimum I'd look for contrasting sleeves)
If it's enough to distinguish Liverpool from Manchester United it's good enough for these two clubs.

If it's enough to distinguish Liverpool from Manchester United it's good enough for these two clubs.

The way to distinguish Liverpool and ManUre is that Liverpool doesn't stink.

Clearly, what little differentiation is going to have to be enough.
Both want blue shirts, non negotiable.

As i said in a previous post, having reasonable usage and total ownership of their respective secondary and tertiary colours, with no overlap, is key to sky blue working for both clubs.

Practically, i'd have the shorts and socks in white (City) and navy (FC); with piping, striping, collar/cuff details and minor design elements in red (City) and orange (FC).
No white in Sydney, no navy in Melbourne.

Melbourne City are nothing but a marketing exercise and loophole for Financial Fair Play in Europe. They'll wear exactly what Man City do. Apparently Etihad are even jumping on board. It'll be a Nike shirt. The difference is an ugly A-League badge on the front. And a different crest. I hope they keep the shirts clean though with just the front sponsor as the only one... I mean it's not like Melbsity need the cash.

So as a result, Melbourne City will copy Manchester City every season. And Nike will change the complementary colour every season to ship more shirts and infer some illusion of newness. The strip this year had white shorts and sky socks, but in the last few seasons we've seen white socks, sky socks, navy socks, sky shorts, white shorts, navy shorts... those elements will change every single season and there's no way Melbourne City won't conform to that just to help out Sydney FC.

So it's about Sydney FC being firm and absolute in their chosen colourway.

Perhaps Manchester City can just buy Sydney too, and hence solve the problem

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, I must say I didn't see that coming. It will be very interesting to see how the new Heart management handles this decision.

That will make the Heart fans happy, most were not in favor of changing the red & white stripes. I can now see the new owners adding sky blue somewhere on the existing kit in order to have brand continuity.

Why does Gallop say this is "great for Sydney FC" when it contradicts the wants of Melbourne City? Del Piero was great for Sydney FC and the FFA, but as far as I think, the FFA shouldn't try and win things for clubs over other clubs. They should mediate it. They should act for what they see as right. Saying this as a win for Sydney FC just adds to all these conspiracies about their love for Sydney and indifference to every other side.

I don't know.

Even better, home strip is red/white stripes and the sky blue is worn at every away game except the Sydney game. So basically, the Heart fans get what they want and City get promoted everywhere else in Australia. Dumb move by the FFA, I hope MCFC take it to court. What a load of bull the FFA running a club they have no business in.

Even better, home strip is red/white stripes and the sky blue is worn at every away game except the Sydney game. So basically, the Heart fans get what they want and City get promoted everywhere else in Australia. Dumb move by the FFA, I hope MCFC take it to court. What a load of bull the FFA running a club they have no business in.
What a stupid thing to say. The FFA have final say on everything to do with their clubs, the owners go into the league knowing that. The fans of the Heart are the real winners out of this.

Perhaps they should stop telling them when and who to play as well? That's just petty interference too :p
They can run the comp, but why control the teams uniforms? Everyone here bitches about Port being told they can't wear black and white but are perfectly fine with the FFA interfering here? Really?

Everyone here bitches about Port being told they can't wear black and white but are perfectly fine with the FFA interfering here? Really?

a) Port were wearing black and white for 100 years prior... Melbourne Heart have worn sky blue for exactly zero years.
b) Port's traditional strip has notable differences from Collingwood's... Heart's proposed strip was essentially identical to Sydney's.
c) Most people are aggrieved with Port never being allowed to wear the prison bars on occasion, not that they had to add teal to the mix or avoid them as a regular strip, which IMO made a lot of sense.

They can run the comp, but why control the teams uniforms? Everyone here bitches about Port being told they can't wear black and white but are perfectly fine with the FFA interfering here? Really?
The Port fans want to wear the prison bars every now and then, Heart fans want to wear the candy stripes when they can. So good comparison actually, it's about what the fans want, and here the fans are content for now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back