Membership Tally 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering last season our membership tally is very good. People have got on board.

There are no excuses for this Saturday tbh, perfect weather, we should have a cracking crowd!

Under 27k is disappointing IMO

21K for opening round and now expecting 27K Rick?

I'd love to know how many of our members are actually ticketed.

21K for opening round and now expecting 27K Rick?

I'd love to know how many of our members are actually ticketed.

Sunday twilight is a crap ass timeslot, Saturday arvo should be Bo complaints really. With 35k members surely 27k should be acceptable with beautiful weather? That's 22% approx no show. Shouldnt be more than that surely?

Sunday twilight is a crap ass timeslot, Saturday arvo should be Bo complaints really. With 35k members surely 27k should be acceptable with beautiful weather? That's 22% approx no show. Shouldnt be more than that surely?

I'm thinking closer to Macca's estimate of 19,500 unfortunately. My guess would be 22K.

I imagine the crowd will be smaller than our round 1 figure. Surely the Saints have a bigger S.A. contingent than the Swans as well.

Crowds aren't going to start going up again till we win games more often than not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we'll get 25k there

SANFL official count will be 8k

First round of local footy may bring it down a tad, plus school holidays with families doing the traditional thing.

However, I think last games figure was a piece of fiction so I am predicting 25K+ too (always an optimist tho).

I reckon there'll be 24k there, with the official figure being 20k. Kids won't be scanned and some membership cards mysteriously won't work either :rolleyes: I'm an AAMI ultimate member and when I scanned it against the Saints there was a graphic on the screen saying wrong day! :eek:

From the 2011 AFL Annual Report a further breakdown of 2011 membership totals.

1. Access and non access memberships

2011AFLclubmemberships.jpg

2. Club membership breakdown + 3. AFL membership club support.

2011AFLclubmembershipsbreakdown1.jpg
2011AFLmembershipsclubsupportbreakdown.jpg

Club Membership

The introduction of the AFL’s 17th team was welcomed
with continued growth in AFL club membership. In 2011,
there were 650,373 members, a clubs record set for the
11th successive season and an increase of 5.9 per cent
on the 2010 tally of 614,251. One in every 34 Australians
is now a member of an AFL club.

Ten of 2010’s 16 AFL clubs posted a year-on-year increase
in membership, led by Collingwood, which reported a
24 per cent increase and the highest membership on record
with 71,271 members.

Other significant increases included Melbourne with 11 per cent
and Richmond, whose membership grew 12 per cent as a result of
its highly successful Operation 10,000 campaign. Port Adelaide
achieved growth of 12 per cent following its merger with the
Port Adelaide Magpies SANFL team.

Increases of more than five per cent were secured by Carlton,
Fremantle, North Melbourne, Essendon and Hawthorn.

Seven clubs exceeded 40,000 members: Adelaide, Carlton,
Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Hawthorn and West Coast.
Again in 2011, Hawthorn and Collingwood led membership
numbers, with both clubs exceeding 50,000 members.
Collingwood also became the first club in history to exceed
70,000 members.

AFL Membership

AFL Membership posted another record membership total
with 55,216 members. This represented overall growth of 2.3
per cent on 2010. AFL Membership successfully achieved an
industry-leading low churn rate of 2.1 per cent (631) for Full
members and 4.75 per cent (975) for Silver members.

AFL Membership is made up of 29,982 Full members, 22,972
Silver members and 2262 Absentee members. With 48,096
members electing a club of support, AFL Membership accounts
for 7.4 per cent of total club members.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but what was our membership count last year? And what would the percentage growth be, and comparing it to other clubs how does our percentage growth look?

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but what was our membership count last year? And what would the percentage growth be, and comparing it to other clubs how does our percentage growth look?

The final count is in the post above yours and the weekly progessive totals back to 2008 is in the first post in this thread.

Im sure this has been answered, and apologies if it has, but if we have 35k members, where the f*'k are they?
Why aren't they going to the games ?
On that point, if the club has that money from the memberships, why do they still have to have at least 25k @ the games to make a profit? wouldn't the memberships, whether your at the game or not, cover it?

Just skimming over the figures, do Port once again have the LOWEST percentage of concession members thereby blowing the 'dole bludger' myth out of the water?

Im sure this has been answered, and apologies if it has, but if we have 35k members, where the f*'k are they? Why aren't they going to the games ?

chachi you and many others don't understand how our membership numbers is made up.

We don't have 35,000 members who have access to all 11 games and are Power supporters/members.

We have 6,000 to 7,000 SANFL/AAMI members who are Ultimate /old Category 1 memberships who are basically crowies who have rights to Port games but don't attend - or very few attend, maybe for showdowns or some may lend their membership cards to port mates/family members.

We would have only 3,000 to 4,000 SANFL/AAMI members who are Ultimate /old Category 1 memberships who are basically Port supporters + 2,000 to 3,000 Essential Power/old Category 3 members who are 100% Port supporters.

We have approx 5,000 planet teals kids who get rights to 11 games but I bet only half turn up to a game.

We only have approx 13,600 11 game season ticket holders as noted in this 2010 article about the move to AO.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...at-adelaide-oval/story-e6frecj3-1225903680004

Last year we had approx 36,600 members but the AFL only recognised 32,581. My guestimate is that 2,000 were Magpies members only and 2,000 were non ticketed members ie interstate members who live outside SA and Victoria and don't have access to 3 or more games.

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=118901

There are about 1,000 SA country members who only get access to 5 games. My guess is that only 500 turn up to each game.

We have about 1,000 members in Victoria who get 5 games so they are counted.

We don't market/advertise it, but the $95 Football Club memberships only get you 3 games but they are counted in our total.

The club gave a breakdown of membership after the 2008 season. I posted the info before but here is a cut and past from September 2008.

Power to the People magazine for September and on page 13 Tony Saulters page, it gives for the first time I have ever seen, the break down of our members. They have a pie chart with percentages so these are the rough figures. We had 34,185 members.

42% Game day members = approx 14,500
35% SANFL members = approx 12,000
17% Planet teal = approx 6,000 (AFL figures were that we had 6,050 junior members) **** have rights to 11 games at Footy Park for about $50.
2% Victorian members = approx 700 *** Vic members have right to the 5 games in Victoria
3% Country members = approx 1,000 **** Country members have rights to 5 games at Footy Park. A country member has to live more than 120km radius from GPO,
1% AFL members = approx 300

In early 2009 I wrote the following

So last year our starting points for a game at Footy Park was along the lines of

+ 34,000 members
- 7,000 crows SANFL Cat 1
- 3,000 planet teal members say only 1/2 the kids come to a game on average
- 700 in Melbourne
- 500 country members who only have rights to 1/2 the games
- 300 people like me who buy a season ticket but live outside SA and Victoria
----------

Then there are always a % of people who can't go because of the timeslot, ie work, play footy themselves, travelling etc.

So we still need a hell of a lot of casuals to turn up to the game, to break even.

Things have change a bit but not massively - with Magpies only members being the one big addition - say 2,000. So as per my second post I reckon our starting crowd is about 22,500 at best. There are always game day members who can't make games, work, holidays, sporting and family commitments etc.

On that point, if the club has that money from the memberships, why do they still have to have at least 25k @ the games to make a profit? wouldn't the memberships, whether your at the game or not, cover it?

The arguement is about game day profits - not total profits from memberships + game day receipts for the season. Lets assume our 36,000 membership sales bring in $6mil. At the end of the season our finances could look something like the following;

Average crowds 32,000 - get $6mil membership sales + $500,000 match day receipts

Average crowds 27,000 - get $6mil membership sales + $0 match day receipts

Average crowds 21,000 - get $6mil membership sales - $600,000 match day cheques have to write to the SANFL to cover 11 mathday costs.

Just skimming over the figures, do Port once again have the LOWEST percentage of concession members thereby blowing the 'dole bludger' myth out of the water?

yes and no. The overwhelming % of those concessions are pensioners and school kids between 15 and 17.x years of age at the start of the year.

Look at Adelaide and West Coast % and you will see that has a lot to do with fans who were in their 40's and 50's when the 2 new teams started and have held on to their tickets for 20 to 25 years and are now pension age.

Anyway dole bludgers can't afford to go to the footy. The Newstart allowance has fallen behind inflation the last 10 years. Our dole bludgers have probably worked out where to jump the fence and get in for free. ;)

Oh come on, our bludgers are enterprising, they'd surely have some form of supplemental income.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back