Memberships 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Great point, Shaun. Great to see you looking at the big picture for the club. Clearly, the 3-game membership can be used as a taster, a sample. It won't be if the potential member feels they're getting shafted.

As always, we greatly value and appreciate your contribution to this board, and your ongoing love of the St Kilda Football Club.

I have been a 3 game member for couple of years... the only reason I am not a 11 / 16 game member because I. Struggle to go to more than 1 game a year due to family commitments..

I could very easily drop the membership and stick with tv.. But I guess membership isn't always about financial reasons.

$84 is actually the cheapest 3 game membership going around in the small search I conducted.

$95 for the Pies, $90 for the Roos and $85 for the Dogs and North.

Not incredibly outrageous when you consider what everyone else is charging.

Yeah that's about right from what I can see. The average is about $85, with a few of the larger clubs able to push this up to $95. The only one I saw that was radically lower was Essendon's package at $75, but then they always do things differently down at Windy Hill.

Yes, it's good to get membership numbers up, and maybe we could do that with discounted packages, but what's the point if we're not making a profit off it? We certainly can't afford to fall behind the rest of the pack either.

Yeah that's about right from what I can see. The average is about $85, with a few of the larger clubs able to push this up to $95. The only one I saw that was radically lower was Essendon's package at $75, but then they always do things differently down at Windy Hill.

Yes, it's good to get membership numbers up, and maybe we could do that with discounted packages, but what's the point if we're not making a profit off it? We certainly can't afford to fall behind the rest of the pack either.

Larger clubs can afford to have increased prices cos they don't need the members, whereas we do. I'm making numbers smaller but you get idea. Would you rather 15 members at $84 or 25 at $70?

Sometimes higher pice doesn't actually mean more money. Those extra '10' might then turn into 11 game members next year cos they see how good value it is to be a member.

I've always bought a full membership + social club membership as I wanted to support the club as much as possible, when I could afford it I also bought my wife and kids memberships as well - this is despite living in Mackay for much of that time. Now I am in Brisbane - so I at least get to see them play, but my memberships were useless to me. My wife has quit working and our household income has been reduced so I am buying the interstate membership (while maintaining my social club membership). All of this has been to help the club financially. Of course, had I lived in Melbourne during that time I would be using the membership to attend matches as well - a bonus on top of helping out the club.

I have been a 3 game member for couple of years... the only reason I am not a 11 / 16 game member because I. Struggle to go to more than 1 game a year due to family commitments..

I could very easily drop the membership and stick with tv.. But I guess membership isn't always about financial reasons.

Exactly. Possibly its already been said earlier, but the club gets the money when you buy a membership. They get stuff all from gate attendances. For the sake of less than $20 (comparing the attendance of 3 games in the knowledge of the financial difference to the club) I'm surprised if people would elect to save the 40 cents a week.

And whilst there's not much in the members pack these days, the club does send out members emails (even if its not news for people on supporter forums, its news to some) and a membership allows you to vote.

with regards to 3 game memberships...

I suspect that dropping the price may not make a difference because people have spending ceilings. which is probably why some clubs charge $90+... because they can get away with it. Frankly, an extra $15 won't stop me.

I have done a fair bit of testing with price points in business and frankly, a lower price did not yield me more sales... just less profits. It's more about the value you give and if a customer sees the offer as good value, pure and simple. I would rather more members paying higher prices. So if they make the offer good enough, they will attract them.

To say its better to have more members paying less is counter intuitive. From a business sense, it's about revenue. Less members - higher revenue is also a good outcome.

PS: I also believe that you have a core group who will buy memberships because they are committed and passionate. This is the true supporter base of our club.

Let's say for the argument that the number is 30,000.

Then you have fluctuations from the more fair weather supporters who will join when we are winning... and more often than not, they join because it makes commercial sense if they attend more games. As we progress up the ladder again, our members will increase.

The challenge is to expand our core supporter base so that even in bad times, we can still top 40k in any given year.

Footy is 98% emotional and 2% commercial. Get people to buy into the club and they will gladly part with their hard earned.

Last edited:
20,849 members have signed up.

The membership count on the Saints website has remained unchanged since the above post was made on the 14th of Jan. Either someone has been lazy updating the numbers or it is an indication of just how bad our numbers will be this year.

The membership count on the Saints website has remained unchanged since the above post was made on the 14th of Jan. Either someone has been lazy updating the numbers or it is an indication of just how bad our numbers will be this year.
I wouldn't be THAT despondent (and this is ME talking!). I suspect there are a lot of people waiting to see how the NAB goes. If that goes okay - which it may - then we might see a big rise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like it was just someone being lazy at updating the total.

We now have 22,808 members
25.3k this time last year. so it seems a 10 percent downturn is the expectation. so 27,000 members is about par for the current environment. the first 2 games of the season become even more crucial.

25.3k this time last year. so it seems a 10 percent downturn is the expectation. so 27,000 members is about par for the current environment. the first 2 games of the season become even more crucial.
That's why I think we'll not play debutants, etc, unless absolutely necessary. We REALLY need to win these first two games.

It sort of bugs me that even if you get a membership you still have to pay for NAB challenge games. Little things like that could make a difference ( AFL to blame , not clubs ).

you should be used to used to it. its been a number of years like this.

Today I renewed my membership at Seaford, as well as getting my girlfriend to sign up! :D

Although I almost ran Ameet Bains over by accident! (Sorry Ameet :oops:)

In for a lot of pain, but we will come out of it bigger and better.

Go Sainters.

Today I renewed my membership at Seaford, as well as getting my girlfriend to sign up! :D
Go Sainters.

I would have to laugh if in a misguided flurry of patriotic duty, our newest member accidental ran over our star recruiter, preventing him from working for us again.

This year is my 4th year of being a member, my girlfriends first. But nearly had a bloody heart attack when I drove around the bend in the car park and he popped up in front of me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's why I think we'll not play debutants, etc, unless absolutely necessary. We REALLY need to win these first two games.

unfortunatey its go to be absolutely necessary. and if we lose against melbourrne and GWS let us all no go feral.

Go Sainters.

Is that the club you are referring to being in for a lot of pain, or Ameet who you ran over?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back