base615

Premiership Player
Jun 8, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Chicago Bears
What why?

They can't offer a player following yesterday's ban on us trading for players and I would hope that for a player we've put multiple years of development into and is ready to break into a side which has played 2 GFs in 3 years we wouldn't accept a lower draft pick which would need multiple more years of development before being ready to play.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
They can't offer a player following yesterday's ban on us trading for players and I would hope that for a player we've put multiple years of development into and is ready to break into a side which has played 2 GFs in 3 years we wouldn't accept a lower draft pick which would need multiple more years of development before being ready to play.

It's either we accept the lower pick or he goes to the psd

base615

Premiership Player
Jun 8, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Chicago Bears
As far as i know he is out of contract, happy to be wrong though

Why would we be getting a trade? Surely he could just leave as a free agent. He wouldn't be in our top 25 salaries and therefore restricted.

It's either we accept the lower pick or he goes to the psd

What is the point in accepting a pick that we most likely would not need?

Other clubs nominated pick for the academy players to force us into using picks, so we should now MAKE him walk via the PSD which in turn stops them from using that pick to get another player.

* 'em all I say! Not one club President have I heard come out in support of righting yesterdays AFL wrong so if we can't trade in why trade out for s**t picks?

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
What is the point in accepting a pick that we most likely would not need?
It's what Richmond did when we got Morton.
Membrey wants to leave, we don't seem to be going out of our way to keep him (or play him).
Don't we're going to draw a line in the sand with this deal.

Why would we be getting a trade? Surely he could just leave as a free agent. He wouldn't be in our top 25 salaries and therefore restricted.

To be a RFA/UFA you have to have been at a club for 8 years.

sr20

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Sydney
Any word where this is at?

St Kilda saying the other day that they have other deals to do first and really haven't heard a peep about them since, so not sure what other deals there looking at?

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Saints fourth round pick will probably be the best we can expect. Realistically, despite potential, you cant expect much more for a player who has played one game in two years.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
So any chance we can change his mind about leaving?
Not sure. I suppose the club could say look, with the Vfl's new rules we need exp throughout the list.you will be given more opportunities as we rest guys like ted , goodes and shaw. It is up to you what you do with those opportunities

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
So any chance we can change his mind about leaving?
I think I read he has been offered a 3 year deal at the Saints and no doubt a "work hard and you'll be best 22".
Doubt we could/should offer either.

TBH the player I'd prefer to try to retain is Biggs, everything seems to have gone quiet in that regard.

Sense I get is that Membrey wants out, whereas Biggs is "exploring options" because he is uncertain of his future at Sydney.

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
I think I read he has been offered a 3 year deal at the Saints and no doubt a "work hard and you'll be best 22".
Doubt we could/should offer either.

TBH the player I'd prefer to try to retain is Biggs, everything seems to have gone quiet in that regard.

Sense I get is that Membrey wants out, whereas Biggs is "exploring options" because he is uncertain of his future at Sydney.

Yeah if he has an offer that's it then. Very interested to see what happens with Biggs now.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Commentary on Membrey by the Saints;
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...088015395?nk=aedd76bf95ef98007023b38222fb0224
"The Saints are increasingly likely to secure Sydney forward Tim Membrey for free in December’s pre-season draft.

The Swans have committed to three academy players and they might only need one live draft selection.

It means unless the Saints can deliver a pick inside No. 39 — the Nick Malceski compensation selection — a deal might not be struck.

“Sydney are going to come back to us when their plans are clearer,” Pelchen said.
“We’ve said if we can get you a selection higher up the order which is of benefit to you then we’re willing to do a trade, if not then they understand that Tim is returning home.

“It won’t be done out of malice (if he joins through the pre-season draft).

“We have full confidence in our recruiting staff to deliver on the list strategy. Their level of research and planning is the equal of any in the competition.”

Pelchen said Membrey had quizzed the Saints on their forward set up, leadership model, Leading Teams program, the values of the club and selection integrity before committing.
“We were really pleased that he did, because it wasn’t just about coming back and taking it for granted, he wanted to make inquiries about how the club was operating.”

“Whether he’ll be an actual trade or a pre-season selection, to be upfront with you we’re unsure,” Pelchen said.

Maddo11

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
I'd like to be mad at the VFL for us losing him for nothing (if it happens), but really, what could StK have offered that would have benefited us without them paying overs which they'd be mad to do when they can pick him up free of charge in the PSD. They had us bent over the moment Membrey said "Saints please".

If a player doesn't want to be on our list then that's fine, off you go. If that same player wants to go to a certain club that's fine, we will try to get you there out of goodwill as we are trying to do with Timmy.

So this basically means destination clubs like us & Tippo or the Hawks & any reasonable player looking to move the last 3 years generally get the best catch usually at a lower than market rate.

Conversely, all the kids want to go to struggling clubs who are going to have to offer more money than they otherwise would have and the added bonus of seemingly increased opportunities (e.g. Lamb) is also available. No one thinks "Bulldogs" or "Dons" as the first club of choice but rather "Sydney" or "Hawks" etc. They need to throw money at them to go or there needs to be an underlying reason behind it (f/s, supported club etc).

That's what makes Tim's decision interesting to me. Either he has strong connections to the club (did he go for them as a young'un? Any family ties?) or they are paying overs for him? Whatever the case, I hope it works out for him and he takes a starting spot in the years to come.

I hold no ill feeling toward him, Mal, Mummy or any other player looking to leave the club. It is a short 'career' (in the most part anyway) and the players need to look out for their families &/or themselves in deciding their career paths, just like we all do in our day to day lives & jobs.

.... Yep, I'm bored and sick of talking back stabbing filthy rotten corrupt AFL crap.

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
We probably have more to gain by doing a token trade for a pick that neither us or the saints will use than send him to the PSD.

1. Because it maintains our reputation as a club that's very fair to it's players
2. It maintains our reputation as a decent club to trade with
3. Because it gives the Saints a PSD pick ahead of GWS which hampers GWS' bargaining power in any trades for uncontracted players.

nottenthagain

All Australian
Oct 11, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
It all depends on how many picks the Saints intend to use. If they can split their 1st pick for two first rounders and maybe unload Stanley then their unlikely to need their 3rd rounder, pick 41 (their 5th pick in the draft), we take that as an upgrade on our 3rd rounder or take it outright. It effectively costs them nothing as it was never a live option for them but it is for us. Win-win. Going to the PSD just makes things a little inflexible for them and a waste for us but it's not a disaster for either side really.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC
It all depends on how many picks the Saints intend to use. If they can split their 1st pick for two first rounders and maybe unload Stanley then their unlikely to need their 3rd rounder, pick 41 (their 5th pick in the draft), we take that as an upgrade on our 3rd rounder or take it outright. It effectively costs them nothing as it was never a live option for them but it is for us. Win-win. Going to the PSD just makes things a little inflexible for them and a waste for us but it's not a disaster for either side really.

Except as the list stands with academy and upgrades we have only pick 39 like. An upgrade to pick 41 would only be used for upgrading a rookie player.

Back